VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am getting this error from DOS stating: CANNOT FIND THE SVADI SUPER VGA ADI 4.2 - by AutoDesk Display Driver...

I searched the web and was able to find SVADI 4.0 but it doesn't seem to work. Does anybody know where I can find SVADI 4.2 and how to use it? My understanding is this is just a way for AutoCAD to communicate with VESA in order to use your display adapter's features.

Thank you.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, ADI stands for Autodesk Device Interface and was the external graphics driver for AutoSketch/-CAD on DOS.
I'm not sure if SVADI supports VESA VBE, though (it says Super VGA).

Maybe you can get it to work in DOSBox* or PCem/86Box ?
- They offer various SVGA graphics chips of old.

Such as Paradise VGA, ET3000, ET4000, OTI-067, etc.

(* Yes, yes, I know. DOSBox is for games only.
But it's also good for testing purposes. 😀 )

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Delete (or rename) the cfg file and configure Autocad again with standard VGA driver. Video cards usually had drivers for ACAD.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 10, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pardon my stupidity but I don't really know how to "configure AutoCad" as you put it. I've been using a sort of image (not really an image but already installed) of ACAD12 so I just copy it to the computer and run ACAD.EXE. If I have to delete a config file and reconfigure, could you be more specific about which file to delete and then which file to run/modify? I can probably handle finding the autocad driver myself. I have a VGA Wonder and ATI is pretty easy to find drivers for.

Reply 4 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually you don't need more then VGA driver. For basic stuff it's enough.

Well... it pretty much depends on your install. When you install it, it makes a batch file that sets some default directories and variables. It would explain your error as the driver can't be found.

Default acad12.bat could be:

SET ACAD=C:\ACADR12\SUPPORT;C:\ACADR12\FONTS
SET ACADCFG=C:\ACADR12
SET ACADDRV=C:\ACADR12\DRV
C:\ACADR12\ACAD %1 %2

In your install directory is file "acad.cfg". You can rename it, run acad and configuration will start.

Reply 5 of 10, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be honest, I read about this path business and did modify my autoexec.bat to point to an svadi driver that was a couple build numbers too old and ACAD still said it couldn't find it. I'm not sure if this is just a syntax issue or that ACAD is being picky about the exact file I link to. I did find what appear to be ATI drivers for my card which support autocad but I'm going to have to test it out to see if it works.

http://vetusware.com/download/ATI%20VGA%20Won … 01.0x/?id=13369

Reply 6 of 10, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Superb! I followed kixs' advice about the cfg and now autocad works. It somehow "found" all the drivers I had on my machine and let me pick what I wanted.

The next problem was that none of the files it wanted to load during launch (like menus and stuff) were able to be located but that's just because it wasn't looking in the right place. I was lazy and just copied everything to the root directory and solved that problem.

1 problem left I can see. NO MOUSE. I'm not sure if this is supposed to initialize automatically err.... I know my mouse works in dos already but so far nothing in AutoCAD. How can I enable mouse control?

Reply 7 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This shouldn't be hard to get it working.

When in autocad, type: config <enter>, you will see current setup (here you can change video driver too). Press Enter once and then select (4) - configure digitizer and then (9) to select Microsoft Mouse. Configure mouse if you want. In the end press (0) and save.

Reply 8 of 10, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

This shouldn't be hard to get it working.

When in autocad, type: config <enter>, you will see current setup (here you can change video driver too). Press Enter once and then select (4) - configure digitizer and then (9) to select Microsoft Mouse. Configure mouse if you want. In the end press (0) and save.

Hmm.. somethings is a little different. At the config menu I only have 7 options to choose from, not 9. Under the digitizer menu it only has ADI (Real Mode) or none and since I don't have option 9, I can't select Microsoft Mouse. Could it be under a different menu?

0 - Exit
1 - Show current config
2 - Allow detailed config
3 - Config video
4 - Config digitizer
5 - Config plotter
6 - Config system console
7 - Config operating parameters

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok. Just digged out our familiy's AutoCAD..

If you delete acad.cfg (remove acad.cfg), AutoCAD will notify you about it beeing unconfigured.

acad_000.gif
Filename
acad_000.gif
File size
4.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

After this, it will show you a list of video devices.

acad_001.gif
Filename
acad_001.gif
File size
8.21 KiB
Views
File license

Followed by the digitizers..

acad_002.gif
Filename
acad_002.gif
File size
8.57 KiB
Views
File license

And the plotters.

acad_003.gif
Filename
acad_003.gif
File size
7.35 KiB
Views
File license

Last but not least, you're in the config menu.

acad_005.gif
Filename
acad_005.gif
File size
8.88 KiB
Views
File license

From there, you can configure the devices you have choosen earlier.

I know our copy isn't the most recent, but it is AutoCAD, after all.

I hope it helps you a bit. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Ok. Just digged out our familiy's AutoCAD.. […]
Show full quote

Ok. Just digged out our familiy's AutoCAD..

If you delete acad.cfg (remove acad.cfg), AutoCAD will notify you about it beeing unconfigured.

acad_000.gif

After this, it will show you a list of video devices.

acad_001.gif

Followed by the digitizers..

acad_002.gif

And the plotters.

acad_003.gif

Last but not least, you're in the config menu.

acad_005.gif

From there, you can configure the devices you have choosen earlier.

I know our copy isn't the most recent, but it is AutoCAD, after all.

I hope it helps you a bit. 😀

Sorry, I know why nothing was working. I didn't have the ACAD variables set in my autoexec so none of the drivers were being detected (I had only the default options available). Once I set the variable paths, all the options came up for digitizer and Microsoft worked. Thank you.