VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
I need a replacement to a 120mm power supply PSU fan(mfg 2004).
- Fan is placed horizontally.
I heard hydro/fluid bearings break fast when placed horizontally.
I already bought expensive 20€ Noctua NF-S12A FLX and 12€ Alpenföhn Wing Boost 2 which both now seem as bad choices because they use hydro/fluid technique.
Looks like if I use these types horizontally they age and worn out fast.

People suggested double bearing fans for greater durability.
What silent double bearing 120mm fans have you bought recently in 2017 or so... ?

Reply 2 of 8, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I asked Noctua about using NF-S12A FLX (Hydro sleeve bearing) in horizontal placement and got a very round answer:
Can I use NF-S12A-FLX fan 120mm horizontally ? ( SSO2 bearings )
Or will the fan wear out faster compared to vertical installation ?
- Any tests how much faster it deteriorates in horizontal position ? Or must I buy double ball bearing fans for horizontal installation ?
- Why Noctua has no double ball bearing fans ?

Noctua customer service:
Yes, you can use the fan in any orientation you want. It will last for at least 6 years. MTTF is about 30 years and it's completely noise-free, so why do we need a different bearing? 😉

- Is it true ?
Or will I go and buy Sanyo Denki and ADDA double ball bearing fans ?

+ Alpenföhn customer service
I’m sorry to say but there are no tests for the lifetime with horizontal installation.
I cannot tell you if the lifetime will be reduced – we do not have any double-ball-bearing fans of our brand „Alpenföhn“.
Of course you can mount them in the horizontal way. We did not have any complains yet about the lifetime.

Hydro sleeve bearings:
So is it just a myth that when fan is used horizontally canned oil inside packs to bottom and sleeve wears out quickly due to imbalance ? 😕 😕 😕
- Or are those answers quick salesperson talk only and they don't have enough knowledge ?

Reply 3 of 8, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All this about a non-military, non-medical, non-aeronautics, non-redundant ATX power supply...
You might as well ask Walmart for the windtunnel tests of their $60 chinese bicycles. 🤣

It's not really going to matter much.

Vantec Double Ball Bearing 120mm - SF12025L

Reply 4 of 8, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noctua, Sanyo denki, Nidec, AVC fans (used in AMD box coolers), NMB Minebea-Mitsumi, i have tested all of the brands, i have them in my old and new machines, and they are all proven brands that don`t die easy, or to start making noise after some time, they are all rock solid, so whatever you get it will be working many many years..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 6 of 8, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah i forgot Delta.... They are all loud so who cares, that is why there are fan controllers. Specially nice ones like Scythe Kaze Master Pro, and specially the Kaze Pro Ace....

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 7 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any of the brands that Radical Vision mentioned are going to be good. The AMD boxed CPU cooler fans I have are ball bearing.

My favorite 120mm fan.. before they stopped making them was the Rosewill 120mm dual ball bearing fan (non-led). Then they had them in a LED version... but they stopped making those as well. 😠
In about 10 years, I only ever had one of them go bad. And I am pretty sure that was because of a manufacturing defect... the bearings were not tight in the slots where they were supposed to be and it started clicking after maybe 4 years of use.

One in about 30 fans of that type have a problem is a pretty good track record in my book. Especially since I usually paid about $5 a piece for them on sale.

Sleeve and dynamic fluid bearings.. uggghhh. I generally hate those, but the Noctuas have been ok as have Corsair. Most other brands are good for 6 months to 2 years before they start seizing up.. no matter the orientation they are in.

I think it is mainly due to the crappy oil used in them. Disassembling them, cleaning the old oil out and then reassembling them and using a drop or two of full synthetic 5w-30 or 10w-30 engine oil usually takes care of them for a long time.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Specially the Delta, Sanyo Denki, AVC, Minebea-Mitsumi fans i have are pretty old, found in old systems some of Pentium 3 era, others from Pentium IV era, they are so old, and they are still running fine, that is called outstanding quality, and reliability..
Is funny there are people out there, that buys some junk new china fans or other brands, while there are cheap Delta, AVC and all other of the old brands, that will last very long, but seems they don`t know about them...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088