VOGONS

Reply 200 of 311, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea I'm running the CPUs at stock at the moment. The onboard USB is not very found of overclocking and can flake out even at 140 MHz FSB. It's a known issue and easily solved with a PCI USB card but those are in storage...

Other than that the DVD266 is supposed to do somewhere around 145 - 150 MHz FSB running AGP 4X, a bit more running AGP 2X and much more when using a PCI video card. The AGP implementation seems to be this motherboards weakness.

As this is supposed to be a year 2001 build and 1400 MHz seems right on the money for what I would been able to get with PIII-S 1.26 CPUs Im pretty happy with running the 1.4 CPUs at stock anyhow.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 201 of 311, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Way to ignore a guy.

In any case, I was successful a while back in setting up dual P3-S 1.4 CPUs on an Intel OR840. The thread has info on how to mod slotkets, info on the korean adapter mod from ebay, and random musings/ramblings.

20180205_dualaking.jpg
Filename
20180205_dualaking.jpg
File size
336.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 202 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh neato. I'll be posting pics of my Asus TRL-DLS here in a bit. Took a short unboxing video too. It came from Germany, I had to.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 203 of 311, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win 98 on dual Tualatin or 462 is overkill, XP will suit it better.. Also Not sure who got the best dual 370 motherboard, as mine AOpen looks really great,, and pared with x2 Voodoo 2 Black Magic will be insane...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 204 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got off my lazy ass and got a short vid together of the TRL-DLS I got. Only took 2 weeks. I've really been buried playing Civ 6's latest expansion.

https://youtu.be/Ql8uF6xqtQE

Reply 205 of 311, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Finally got off my lazy ass and got a short vid together of the TRL-DLS I got. Only took 2 weeks. I've really been buried playing Civ 6's latest expansion.

https://youtu.be/Ql8uF6xqtQE

Please start a thread about this board, I really wanna see the build and benchmarks!

Reply 206 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting some other pieces together, but It is one of my priorities. I just need to finish civ6's x-pack first...

Reply 207 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For all the wrong reasons, I'm back in my attic. So what about that Iwill DS133-R I never got to unpacking and testing?

I tried it with two PIII 700, and two 64 MB sticks of Rambus folly. As it booted, I thought why not try the only Powerleap iP3/T adapter I have (with the Cellie 1200). Booted nicely and got through to memtest without an issue.

Throwing caution into the freezing snow storm, I tried 2 Tualatin 1400's (different stepping, my Tuallie-twins are still somewhere in the garage) on Upgradeware Slot-T adapters (which I put on 1.5V-133MHz through the jumpers).

And what do you know, I qualify to post in this section. The Malay and the Philippines do get nicely along together through the booting process and the memtest, although I have no idea on what voltage. It's difficult to believe the upgradeware adapter does the same voltage regulation as the ostensibly intricate Powerleap iP3/T.

More tests to be done, especially on ram, if I ever want this build to be useful.

Reply 208 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, the build based on the Iwil DS133-R will not be useful. I can only get two sticks of 128 RDRAM to work. No other sticks I have, including 1GB sticks, will post.

I start to doubt the longevity of using the Upgradeware slot-t dapters as well, this morning, the system did not post well. I'll post some pictures later today, but this mainboard will probably go onto the heap of "useless, but too cool to throw away".

Reply 209 of 311, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote:

Unfortunately, the build based on the Iwil DS133-R will not be useful. I can only get two sticks of 128 RDRAM to work. No other sticks I have, including 1GB sticks, will post.

I start to doubt the longevity of using the Upgradeware slot-t dapters as well, this morning, the system did not post well. I'll post some pictures later today, but this mainboard will probably go onto the heap of "useless, but too cool to throw away".

That's a shame, I would've liked to see the performance of the i820. I think the max it can take is 1GB total, so 1 GB RIMMs are out of the question. You are using continuity modules / installing in pairs? Forgive the question if you are experienced, I just want to see the machine up and running 😁

Personally, I would put a bit more effort before discarding it—it would be a very cool system!

Reply 210 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wasn't looking for the matching Tualatins, but I found them anyway and swapped the CPU's for another round of tests. You've persuaded me, although I should have been doing other things instead 😀.

Funnily enough, the board does not boot with two sticks of 256. Each stick works fine with a c-rimm, but together the board fails to boot. That makes no go for 1GB sticks and 2 256 sticks. All other combinations boot (64-128-256).

I ran system speed test and these are the results (I'll post some eye candy later):

Bandwith 978.72 MB/s
L1 cache 5265.14
L2 cache 3007.15
Throughput 392.48

Power draw is 88 Watt with Plextor drive, one extra case fan and a 4GB CF boot card.

Reply 212 of 311, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Info from the BIOS with the correct (hopefully) voltages

DSC_3344.JPG
Filename
DSC_3344.JPG
File size
126.33 KiB
Views
File license

The caps do not look bulged or burst, but I'm not an expert on caps anyway.

DSC_3353.JPG
Filename
DSC_3353.JPG
File size
155.35 KiB
Views
File license

And the setup as it was a few days ago. I needed to test whether the x1950 AGP I have would boot, that's why it is on the picture.
I replaced it with the Diamond Viper 330 afterwards for the benchmark.

DSC_3327.JPG
Filename
DSC_3327.JPG
File size
150.72 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 213 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
flupke11 wrote:

The caps do not look bulged or burst, but I'm not an expert on caps anyway.

irrelevant. Caps can still be out of spec, even if they look good. If I have the problems you described, that is a giant red flag for bad caps.

You have to decide if you want to invest the time money and effort into recapping this board. I typically do the procedure. I enjoy it and once you have the proper tools it is an easy process.

Reply 215 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recapping can also turn a board with periodic instability or crashes into one with very infrequent or practically no crashes. That is my experience anyway, at least on one of my dual Tualatin boards in which the caps looked fine.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 216 of 311, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't seen any results anywhere of the difference between PCI vs PCI-X?

Did anyone manage to compare the difference?

Thinking of buying a server board to use for my Tualatin, I presume theirs no overclocking with server boards?

Reply 217 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

Thinking of buying a server board to use for my Tualatin, I presume theirs no overclocking with server boards?

In 99% of cases, you won't be able to overclock a server grade board.

I will be modding some pci cards to run at 66mhz in the future. so maybe I can get some benches up, but life is in teh way for now.

Reply 218 of 311, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

For video, ethernet, or HDD access?
We looked at video here: Matrox Parhelia 256 PCI-X Performance

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.