VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found three COAST modules in a big bag of 72pin DIMMS I got recently.

They look functionally similar, and I have a few motherboards with COAST slots, but I can't recall whether there were significant differences in voltage/etc. I need to worry about...

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenerb wrote:

I've found three COAST modules in a big bag of 72pin DIMMS I got recently.

They look functionally similar, and I have a few motherboards with COAST slots, but I can't recall whether there were significant differences in voltage/etc. I need to worry about...

You can use any COAST module.

Reply 2 of 10, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only exception of which I am aware would be the PCChips M919, which has a very different type of COAST Module, which is actually Static RAM Cache on a stick, rather than Asynchronous Cache (Pipeline Burst). It is not electrically compatible with a normal COAST module.

Attachments

• m919cache.jpg
    Filename
    m919cache.jpg
    File size
    637.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PCChips M919 Cache Module
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, COAST modules are not always interchangeable. Not all are Pipeline Burst Cache and don't expect COAST modules from a Mac to work in a PC. You won't cause any damage trying, however. It either works or not.

btw, that M919 module is a COAST module as well. And according to the M919 manual, later versions of the board (or BIOS, dunno) support Pipeline Burst Cache COAST modules as well.

Reply 4 of 10, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

btw, that M919 module is a COAST module as well. And according to the M919 manual, later versions of the board (or BIOS, dunno) support Pipeline Burst Cache COAST modules as well.

I do have the M919 manual, board, and pictured COAST module, but although they mention support for a Pipeline Burst module, I'm not aware of any ever being released. In this below linked thread, feipoa has been unable to get and any Pipeline Burst modules functional in an M919. The module also has a warning that it is only for M919.

M919 owners

I would certainly believe that not all modules, M919 aside, are interchangeable.

FIC PT-2003 COAST module supportThis thread provides more information as to the types of issues that can arise.

486 Build

Reply 5 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The manual I have shows an older revision of the board and states that PBC modules are supported in the future. I own the last revision of the board but have not tried a PBC module yet. It's also possible that it would have required a BIOS update. Anyway, the point is that the M919 has a normal COAST slot just like any others. And that backs up the statement that COAST modules are not always interchangeable. 😉

Reply 6 of 10, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

The manual I have shows an older revision of the board and states that PBC modules are supported in the future. I own the last revision of the board but have not tried a PBC module yet. It's also possible that it would have required a BIOS update. Anyway, the point is that the M919 has a normal COAST slot just like any others. And that backs up the statement that COAST modules are not always interchangeable. 😉

That's the and thing mine says. I guess we'll need to head to the other thread and do some testing!

So to sum up, OP, it depends on how new the board is. It seems that newer boards accept more modules.

486 Build

Reply 7 of 10, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had pretty bad experience with COASTs on a 486 board - FIC 486-GAC-2. I tried two COASTs - one from compaq deskpro, and one from Olivetti - neither worked. Computer won't boot when COASTs were installed.
For pentium boards, one tricky part is to get the tag-ram configured to the right specification.

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the Compaq Coast modules even compatible with standard PC stuff?
Compaq (and other companies like for instance Dell) liked to do things...differently, so to say 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Are the Compaq Coast modules even compatible with standard PC stuff?
Compaq (and other companies like for instance Dell) liked to do things...differently, so to say 🤣

I don't know if there was a "standard" for COAST in 486 era...

Reply 10 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also for Pentium systems different COAST modules were used. Most notable there are mainboards that use COAST modules with Tag and some without Tag RAM.
e.g. look at this docu for the Shuttle HOT-4515 Layout V2.5 in the section 'Versionen':
http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/de/541.htm
It states 'hierzu ist ein besonderes 256 kB Modul (ohne Tag-RAM) notwendig', which translates to 'here a special 256 kB module (without Tag-RAM) is required'.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool