VOGONS

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not terminator with sidescrolling and top town, but FPS linear shoother.

I have tried a 486 66MHz with 16MB ram all the way to A Pentium 3 and 128MB ram. And allways it tells me not enough free memory, whats the deal here?

Maybe someone have some experience.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 1 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like those games that needs lots of conventional memory, like most the way up to 640k free. Try booting with nothing but your usual memory manager with every parameter that forces freeing convetional memory, and if you need something else, force it to load into high memory.
Edit: Seems to be just the case as another Bethesda title came to mind, Delta V, which required about 630k free conventional memory.
EDIT2: Even though I loosely recall playing it, I could not find any online references to this fps, so I'm guessing it's a Bethesda game, as they made all Terminator fps games from the 90's.

Reply 3 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may be very well the opposite. Many games will fail with "not enough free memory" if there is too *much* memory (XMS/EMS that is). Try without any memory manager, as the game doesn't need any XMS/EMS.

Reply 4 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 486 DOS 6.22 box is URAM-d and HIRAM-d and DOSMAX-d has all 640MB free and even that did not work.

PS. If you able to push all of DOS to HMA, then strangely CTRL+ALT+DEL does not work, well thats why god invented the reset button, and older boxes have a good full size reset button. Everything else is stable.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 5 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote:

My 486 DOS 6.22 box is URAM-d and HIRAM-d and DOSMAX-d has all 640MB free and even that did not work.

There lies you problem, actually. Use a proper memory configuration.

Reply 6 of 7, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tried those classical clean boot, himem boot, and himem + emm386 boot, even qemm97 boot.

Reply 7 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might be the same case as California Games 1 but that's extremely rare (it complains of not enough memory if there's too much conentional memory free) or like derSammler said, T2 doesn't like having too much RAM, which is also extremely rare for less than 16MB (the memory hole option in the BIOS fixed every too much RAM issues I ever had). Some damaged .exe files will also exhibit not enough memory when attempted to run.