VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I recently picked up an ECS Elitegroup P6BX-A+ motherboard. It came with BIOS version 2.4, which only supports hard drives up to 8gb. It will not even detect a larger hard drive. I am trying to install a 40gb hard drive, but it won't even detect it.

I found that the latest BIOS version is 5.6 and it says that it adds support for 40gb hard drives.

I downloaded the latest BIOS from the ECS website, BXAP56.bin.

I tried to flash it from DOS with awdflash899.exe, but I received the error message "the program file's part number does not match your system!" and it just stops. Please see the photo.

I am fairly sure that I am using the correct bios file as I downloaded it directly from the manufacturer's website.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180213_203733.jpg
    Filename
    20180213_203733.jpg
    File size
    767.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 22, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assume you got it from
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … nuID=24&LanID=0
There seem to be boards with a 1 Megabit BIOS chip and some with a 2 Megabit BIOS chip .
If your board only has 1 Megabit BIOS chip, you might need to change it before you can flash, 5.6 which is a 2 Megabit image .

Reply 3 of 22, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Download a utility called Navrátil System Information (NSSI) and see what information it tells you about your BIOS chip.
You can also save your current BIOS with this utility, which will then enable you to confirm the size of the BIOS file.

Alternatively, peel away the sticker of the BIOS chip to see what the markings are.

Reply 4 of 22, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why you even bother to flash ECS ?!?!? I will understand if was some ASUS board like P2B or P3B-F, or Gigabyte BX2000 series, or ABIT BE6 series, or even MSI, but ECS is waste of time and money, just sell it and find one of the one i mentioned, they are by far better choices...

Also if you want to flash bioses, just use windows and Award win flash program, it makes the life lot easier...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 5 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote:

Why you even bother to flash ECS ?!?!? I will understand if was some ASUS board like P2B or P3B-F, or Gigabyte BX2000 series, or ABIT BE6 series, or even MSI, but ECS is waste of time and money, just sell it and find one of the one i mentioned, they are by far better choices...

Also if you want to flash bioses, just use windows and Award win flash program, it makes the life lot easier...

Hey, *you* like the high-end boards, others have different preferences when doing retro stuff. Just like some people collect old Ferraris and Porsches, but others like tinkering with a Morris Minor or a Trabant. Don't go judging others' motivations or choices; if you can help, do. If not, just let others do so.

On-topic:
If you have the file for BIOS version 2.4 you can easily check what size chip it fits. 128kB = 1Mb, 256kB = 2Mb.

If it turns out (as we suspect) that the 2.4 image is 1Mb and the 5.6 image is 2Mb, you need to get yourself a 2Mb (=256kB) 32p DIL EEPROM. If you have flashing hardware etc, just flash. If not, you can try hot-flashing. That sounds a bit scary but is simple & safe enough if you're careful:
- boot with the current BIOS
- after boot, get everything ready to flash in software (i.e. boot to DOS from a hard disk (NOT floppy), have all the relevant files in the current directory)
- while the system is running, carefully remove the current 1Mb EEPROM. Be sure not to let the pins touch anything on the motherboard.
- carefullu insert the new 2Mb EEPROM.
- start the flash program.
- if all is well, it will happily flash the new chip with the big file.
- reboot and enjoy

If for whatever reason the new BIOS doesn't work well, first clear CMOS. Still not happy? You have the old EEPROM with 2.4 BIOS on it, so just plug that in to roll back to before.

Reply 6 of 22, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Size of existing one is read from the datasheet.
dip32 eeproms are inexpensive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-W27C020-70-27C0 … icAAOSwmQBZirNC $6 for two, some have 10 for 10. Boot to the flash util, pull the chip out, put the 256kB one in, and flash.

Reply 7 of 22, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im just asking him why, as im wondering. Also i did tell him what are the qality boards, as P2B and BX2000 are middle range boards, not the high end, bcuz maybe he does not know what are the good slot 1 boards..
Also i did tell him far easier way of flashing bios, as the floppy and disketes can be pain in the a$$......

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 8 of 22, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tegrady wrote:

I am fairly sure that I am using the correct bios file as I downloaded it directly from the manufacturer's website.

Did you also check the revision of the mainboard? There are very often different BIOS updates for different revisions of a mainboard. You can not e.g. flash a BIOS for rev. 3 if your mainboard is rev. 1. Might be the case here.

Reply 9 of 22, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:

Why would I want to flash the bios? Because it currently will not recognize a large hard drive and I don't have any hard drives smaller than 10gb....

The reason I chose this motherboard is because it seemed to have all the features I needed and it came bundled with a 450mhz P2 and 512mb of RAM and was very cheap.

Reply 10 of 22, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
tegrady wrote:

Did you also check the revision of the mainboard? There are very often different BIOS updates for different revisions of a mainboard. You can not e.g. flash a BIOS for rev. 3 if your mainboard is rev. 1. Might be the case here.

It is revision 1.1. Thanks.

Reply 11 of 22, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if ECS works for you good, on other hand when i get something like this or shuttle, akorp or other junk brands, i just sell them, while i keep for me the good brands and models..
As is strange for me to see someone to like the bad brands like ECS and similar, instead of moving to a better one...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 13 of 22, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No the thing is (probably you can see it too) the old ECS on 286, 386, 486 seems solid build, but that is far far away the case with newer ECS on Slot 1, socket 370, socket 462 and such...
Im not sure at what moment they did start to make their products trash, maybe after socket 7, but all products of PCchips/ECS before S7 are considered from me as solid ones, as we all know back in that days most of the brands seems did not cheap so much on their production, not like years after. So most brands till socket 7 was ok, and under S7 you can grab whatever you want it will do the job not big differences, but after 486 and specially socket 7 things have changed, and they did start to reduce costs...

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 14 of 22, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:

Well if ECS works for you good, on other hand when i get something like this or shuttle, akorp or other junk brands, i just sell them, while i keep for me the good brands and models..
As is strange for me to see someone to like the bad brands like ECS and similar, instead of moving to a better one...

What makes it junk? If it runs and is stable, what's the problem?

Reply 15 of 22, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tegrady wrote:

How do I determine if I have a 1 Megabit BIOS chip or a 2 Megabit BIOS chip? Thanks.

Usually Award flash utility will tell you the model and size of your BIOS chip. For example,
award5-4.jpg

Yours doesn't say anything after "flash type -", so it's possible that your chip isn't supported by awdflash 8.99.

To determine the size of your chip, you can save your current BIOS to a file and check the file size. Or you can peel off the sticker on top of the chip and read the model number.

Reply 16 of 22, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many things makes ECS, Akorp, Asrock, Shuttle and similar junk, they are all over with the lower possible quality of all components on the board, not a single feature on them, like is on the better boards like IDE RAID, or overclocking capabilities, or Dual BIOS, or over current protection and others...

Also they tend to have more problems with different memory modules, way inferior BIOSes that have only very basic options inside...

For example you can compare your ECS Slot 1 with the very best ones like Gigabyte BX2000+, ASUS P3B-F and ABIT BE6-II V2....

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 17 of 22, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know, Abit and Gigabyte used crappy caps on many boards . I have not seen many Shuttle boards in the wild, but I can say those I have seen had Japanese capacitors .

Capacitors aside, I think calling them all junk is bit strong a word. Inexpensive boards with basic feature sets had place in the marketplace and they still do .

Just my two cents .

Reply 18 of 22, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can tell you Gigabyte have better quality then many other brands back in the days. Gigabyte did have good caps and Dual Bios and CPU overcurrent protection even on mid range board like BX2000, and the caps that are important for the CPU the VRM they are SanYo, while the rest on the board that are not so important are some junk, but who cares, as the most important caps are the ones closest to the CPU right...
ABIT have really bad caps, no one say they did not, but when it comes to compatibility and support not to mention the Soft Menu III ABIT is unmatched specially when it comes to overclocking, also they did have IDE RAID....

So you can clearly see that the BX2000 have high quality japan caps close to the slot and CPU, also Dual BIOS and CPU protection....
You can also see all the japan caps on the 462 Gigabyte, Dual BIOS and lot of other useful stuff. And the ABIT this is the best ever made socket 462 motherboard, 110% stable no matter what OC someone will made, very high quality...

I have here x2 shuttle trash boards, they are working, no leaked caps, and still NO japan caps on them, no Dual BIOS, no CPU protection, no x4 SDram slots, nothing..... If i can i will trow Shuttle boards to some gold digger, in exchange for other useful Slot 1 boards like ABIT, ASUS or Gigabyte......

Just my 2 piece of gold bars.....

Attachments

• Untitledt756745g45.jpg
    Filename
    Untitledt756745g45.jpg
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    NF7 V2
    File license
  • Untitledufjhfhj.jpg
    Filename
    Untitledufjhfhj.jpg
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    7N400 Pro
    File license
  • Untitledergergre.jpg
    Filename
    Untitledergergre.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    BX2000
    File license

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 19 of 22, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
Usually Award flash utility will tell you the model and size of your BIOS chip. For example, http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/flashut […]
Show full quote
tegrady wrote:

How do I determine if I have a 1 Megabit BIOS chip or a 2 Megabit BIOS chip? Thanks.

Usually Award flash utility will tell you the model and size of your BIOS chip. For example,
award5-4.jpg

Yours doesn't say anything after "flash type -", so it's possible that your chip isn't supported by awdflash 8.99.

To determine the size of your chip, you can save your current BIOS to a file and check the file size. Or you can peel off the sticker on top of the chip and read the model number.

I tried an earlier version of Awdflash and received the same error. I also tried upgrading to one of the BIOs listed as 1 Megabit and still got the same error. Not sure what's going on.

I have ordered a Promise Ultra ATA PCI controller card, so that should solve my issue with recognizing larger hard drives....

Thanks.