Where's the CMOS Battery?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:
Jed118 wrote:

That's quite a good repair. The 486 I'm bidding on now has that same problem, but the RTC is facing a resistor pack. I would have done it your way if I could.

Thanks and yes I got lucky with the placement. It's still kicking with that battery I put in originally.

I'm half tempted to just mail my board to one of you guys and pay you to do it for me 😜 You both seem to have the skills that I surely don't.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 21 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slight de-railment:

This board... it says in the specs that it supports USB. There's supposed to be a header on the board somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. Should be 4 pins. Has anybody ever connected USB on these things? That would be cool huhuhuhh (in traditional Butthead voice).

Reply 22 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the manual it should be j10 and j11 (close to the keyboard connector).

Finding the right pinout can be a challenge but usb support is there.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23 of 33, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Slight de-railment:

This board... it says in the specs that it supports USB. There's supposed to be a header on the board somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. Should be 4 pins. Has anybody ever connected USB on these things? That would be cool huhuhuhh (in traditional Butthead voice).

Have a look at http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/A-B/34328.htm

Reply 24 of 33, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:
badmojo wrote:
Jed118 wrote:

That's quite a good repair. The 486 I'm bidding on now has that same problem, but the RTC is facing a resistor pack. I would have done it your way if I could.

Thanks and yes I got lucky with the placement. It's still kicking with that battery I put in originally.

I'm half tempted to just mail my board to one of you guys and pay you to do it for me 😜 You both seem to have the skills that I surely don't.

I'm in Toronto, Ontario. I'll do it for a pint 😉

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 25 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wut?? Wait. How do you know I'm in Toronto?

Meljor/IBMaPC: I will surely check again but I looked at a schematic for the board, saw the location it should be in but there was nothing there. I'm going to check again.

Reply 26 of 33, by ibmapc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

...Meljor/IBMaPC: I will surely check again but I looked at a schematic for the board, saw the location it should be in but there was nothing there. I'm going to check again.

I drew a red oval on the picture you provided. There are two four pin headers right next to each other. In fact they look like one 8 pin header.

i430VX.jpg
Filename
i430VX.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ibmapc wrote:
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

...Meljor/IBMaPC: I will surely check again but I looked at a schematic for the board, saw the location it should be in but there was nothing there. I'm going to check again.

I drew a red oval on the picture you provided. There are two four pin headers right next to each other. In fact they look like one 8 pin header.

i430VX.jpg

Found it. I can tell you why I never saw it before. 1) it was completely hidden under the ribbon cables and back plate I had installed there. Moved the plate down 1 pci slot. 2) There's no label on the MB! It does not say J10 J11. I can understand why though. It's too crowded for the silk screening to be legible if they tried. Well anyway this ought to be fun (enabling USB on such an old POS). That is, once I scrape the battery out of the RTL chip (or get my new best friend to do it for beer 😁 )

Reply 28 of 33, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB of i430VX is version 1.0. Just forget about it, as you won't find any device that will work. USB 1.0 is not compatible with 1.1, but 1.1 is the lowest that 99.9% of all devices do.

Reply 30 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

USB of i430VX is version 1.0. Just forget about it, as you won't find any device that will work. USB 1.0 is not compatible with 1.1, but 1.1 is the lowest that 99.9% of all devices do.

So nothing is backwards compatible with it? I don't care about speed but I figured it would at least work.

Reply 31 of 33, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, I even tried very old USB sticks with just 128 MB - but even those required USB 1.1 and did not work with 1.0. Wasted days with that sh*t and ended up installing a USB 2.0 PCI card.

Reply 32 of 33, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Intel pr440fx has USB 1.0 and it reads files from USB sticks perfectly fine. It flakes out while writing individual files larger than about one megabyte to an USB stick in Wndows NT4 but that could very well be because the USB stack is from some sort of Web camera driver package or the like.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2018-02-17, 21:16. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 33 of 33, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha actually I just responded to your PM! I know you're in Toronto NOW HAHAHHA!

I'm in Brampton, but I work in Toronto. PM me your cell # and we'll see if we can meet up. Always nice to find a local 😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!