VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What motherboard revision? Look at the silkscreen on the motherboard sides and corners.

Also, read your current BIOS, and provide the one you're trying to flash. Attach or link them.

If you can't read with AWDFlash, use a Linux live distro with Flashrom such as included on Hiren's Boot CD.
If you don't have much RAM, or want to do it quicker in a less supported method (but probably fine for a board this era), use Flashrom for DOS.
(Run off Win98 boot disk or MS-DOS mode. Include CWSDPMI.EXE alongside flashrom.exe)
http://buildbot.flashrom.org/buildresults/lat … os/flashrom.exe

The command you'd wanna use is:

flashrom -p internal -r oldbios.bin -V > log.txt

Provide the log.txt, and the oldbios.bin if it succeeds.
Flashrom may simply work to flash the new BIOS later, or we'll need to edit the BIOS file to be the correct flash chip size (unless the downloaded BIOS actually contains over 1Mb data (not blank space) and you have a 1Mb chip, in which case you'll need to find a BIOS for your board with that chip, or possibly cheaply get a 2Mb chip and hot-flash it.

Reply 21 of 22, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I have given up trying to update the BIOS. I just bought a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 IDE controller card for $10 shipped on eBay. Installed it today and it works fine. It recognized the hard drive and installed Windows 98 fine. I'm happy now.

Reply 22 of 22, by blacksn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please upload flashrom for DOS, site is not responding

AMD Am5x86-133ADW/Shuttle HOT-433 256Kb/4x16 SIMM EDO/ATI Rage XL 8Mb/Ultra100 TX2/WD 400BB-60DGA 40 Gb/Opti 82c861 USB/ESS1868/RTL8139/CD-ROM NEC CD-3002a