Reply 1660 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

Almost done. Missing the ROM.
The RAM is double Sided.

If everything else is in place, you can already set JP0 through JP5, program the PnP EEPROM and install the basic software. That would allow you to run the RAM test and even do some initial audio testing using PLAY.EXE and some tracker files. With an FFF/DAT bank, you could also run a few MIDI playback tests, just to make sure everything is functional and stable. There is no absolute need to wait for the ROM.

Reply 1661 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good news ! Windows 98 SE Detects it and I can play .wav files.
Now, I am struggling with the installation. I burnt the CD but there is no "Install", just an install for Patch set.

When I try to install the 4MB patch set, it complains about the INTERWAVE variable not net.

When I go in DOS, I get the Ultrasound Plug and Play not found message when doing install from the DOS floppy.

I cannot find how to actually do a full install of this card. I would like some guidance if possible. (My GUS Max is much simpler to install)

Reply 1662 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The process tends to be much easier if you start from the installation floppies at vogonsdrivers. If you've set the jumpers as directed, programmed the EEPROM and it's still not being found, you have other problems. Did you try running pnpmap in shock__'s documentation bundle?

Reply 1663 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:

The process tends to be much easier if you start from the installation floppies at vogonsdrivers. If you've set the jumpers as directed, programmed the EEPROM and it's still not being found, you have other problems. Did you try running pnpmap in shock__'s documentation bundle?

I did not program the EEPROM. I must have missed something in the thread then.

Reply 1664 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

I did not program the EEPROM. I must have missed something in the thread then.

It was mentioned more clearly in the documentation. Have a closer look through that, run the software, and see if that doesn't solve your problems.

EDIT: Added the link.

Last edited by 640K!enough on 2018-02-17, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1667 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks ! DOS now sees the card.
Dinner time, will continue later.

Do I really need the initialisation both in Config.sys AND autoexec.bat ? I see the initialisation message 2 times.

Reply 1668 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

autoexec.bat initialization is enough.
You can delete the according lines in config.sys without any consequences.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 1669 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks shock__,

So yeah, I launched doom, got Sound FX but obviously no music since I don't have a rom.
However, trying to play midi files with playmidi.exe, I get an error about "Cannot find configuration file". Is playmidi supposed to work without a rom ? I thought it would load the intrument from the patch into ram.

640K!enough wrote:

With an FFF/DAT bank, you could also run a few MIDI playback tests

Can you enlighten me with this ? Not sure what you are talking about.

Reply 1670 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back to the subject of PLAYMIDI, it can and does work as it should on InterWave boards. It still requires the set of .PAT files, just like in the GF1 days. Another way to get it running is to install the original UltraSound patch set along with your UltraSound PnP software. This is usually in \GRAVIS\ULTRASND by default. So, running SETRAM.EXE from the CD (usually in the SETUP sub-directory) should help you do that. Make sure they get installed into \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI, as that is where most software will expect to find them. Copy DEFAULT.CFG from the directory where PLAYMIDI.EXE is found into \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI. Now, running PLAYMIDI and selecting a file to play should get the results that you would expect.

Now, for the more modern approach. Again from the installation CD, in the SETUP sub-directory, run SETROM4.EXE. This will install the 4 MiB AMD/Eye & I FFF/DAT bank, called GSFULL4M. It usually gets installed into \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\PATCHES, if I'm not mistaken. Now, you will need to check that IW.INI has the lines to reflect that choice. The following will show the sections to check, enclosed by square brackets ("[" and "]"). Make sure you have the lines shown within those sections, or something similar.

[patch descriptions]
amd_4m=4M RAM Patch Set
[vendors]
amd_4m=gsfull4m.fff
default=amd_4m
[vendor amd_4m]
gsfull4m.fff=C:\GRAVIS\ULTRASND\PATCHES

If your installation is not in \GRAVIS\ULTRASND, make sure to adjust your paths accordingly. Edit the existing default= line, rather than adding another one to be sure to get the desired behaviour. Leave any lines other than those mentioned alone. If you followed all of that correctly, you should now be able to use PLAY.EXE to play MIDI files using the 4 MiB RAM set (just use PLAY <MIDI file>). There are a few sample files in the MIDS sub-directory of the CD, and a few sample tracker files on the CD under MODS, in case you don't have any handy.

It it worth pointing out that most DOS games won't use the FFF/DAT banks for MIDI playback. Those with native InterWave support usually expect a ROM to be present, and older UltraSound software, like Doom, will expect to find the .PAT files to load into RAM.

Reply 1671 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks 640!enough.

Interesting fact that default.cfg was not present on the cd, neither on my installation drive. I had to copy it over from my GUS Max installation directory (C:\Ultrasnd\midi).

Doom has now music and Duke3d too.
What recordings would be the most useful to make ?

Reply 1672 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

Interesting fact that default.cfg was not present on the cd, neither on my installation drive. I had to copy it over from my GUS Max installation directory (C:\Ultrasnd\midi).

That makes perfect sense, since default.cfg is only needed for PLAYMIDI, and that is an old GF1 application only distributed with the older cards. The modern counterpart is PLAY.EXE, which doesn't need that file.

Reply 1673 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a few people now getting their cards to a functional state, does anyone have any subjective audio quality evaluations to share? Has anyone successfully built with the TDA1308 and had good results?

Reply 1674 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have made no tests with my card other than getting it recognized from the driver under DOS and having it pass the memtest... Isn't the TDA1308 a drop-in replacement? Since it's a Philips part I don't think it will be crap ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1675 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my reading, the MS6308 was supposed to be an equivalent replacement for the TDA1308. That doesn't guarantee that shock__ didn't choose the MS6308 because it was superior in some way.

Reply 1676 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I have made no tests with my card other than getting it recognized from the driver under DOS and having it pass the memtest... Isn't the TDA1308 a drop-in replacement? Since it's a Philips part I don't think it will be crap ?

Could you tell me how you tested the RAM ? I'd like to do the same.

Reply 1677 of 3172, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:
keropi wrote:

It's in setup.exe in your PnP software installation. After the configuration phase, it identifies the RAM and asks if you would like to test it.

Reply 1678 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote:
Synoptic wrote:
keropi wrote:

It's in setup.exe in your PnP software installation. After the configuration phase, it identifies the RAM and asks if you would like to test it.

I went through that, and don't remember it taking long. Will try again 😉

Reply 1679 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh yes it will take long if you have 16MB installed

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website