VOGONS

Yamaha MU2000EX

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 134, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with the PLG boards is that if you're lucky you can buy the synths they are based on for less than what each of the boards goes for, especially if you also factor in the price of the MU128/1000/2000 and the fact that these boards can't be used to their fullest capabilities in the MU modules - while the original synths don't have that limitation. If you want to use the full feature-set of the PLG boards, you'll need a pro-audio synth that can also use the boards - again, cheaper to find a later Yamaha synth model that has the PLG-board functionality built in.

Reply 21 of 134, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote:

I always wanted the AN. They sound fantastic because Yamaha did not hold back on the hardware for them.

You mentioned before that it was easy to substitute in sounds from the PLG-150DR into your MIDI music. Is it the same easy substitution arrangement with the PLG-150AN?

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 22 of 134, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
m5215tx wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:

I always wanted the AN. They sound fantastic because Yamaha did not hold back on the hardware for them.

You mentioned before that it was easy to substitute in sounds from the PLG-150DR into your MIDI music. Is it the same easy substitution arrangement with the PLG-150AN?

Absolutely not 🤣. I just love Analog Synths but I don't have to space to keep multiple keyboards around.
I just want to plug my keyboard into the AN and mash some keys. But the AN is rather pricey. (And yes I know
the AN isn't a true analog synth, but I still love how it sounds.)

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 23 of 134, by snakecoils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to you all, I did a net search about MU2000 and I really hope someone here can help me. I just purchased an MU2000 unit from eBay Japan, the seller told me that it was already upgraded to Extended (EX) version but I discovered, once the package arrived, that sadly it wasn't... the download links provided on Wikipedia does not work anymore, so is there a known alternative location where I can download the MU2000EX updater?

Many, many thanks in advance...

Reply 24 of 134, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snakecoils wrote:

Hello to you all, I did a net search about MU2000 and I really hope someone here can help me. I just purchased an MU2000 unit from eBay Japan, the seller told me that it was already upgraded to Extended (EX) version but I discovered, once the package arrived, that sadly it wasn't... the download links provided on Wikipedia does not work anymore, so is there a known alternative location where I can download the MU2000EX updater?

Many, many thanks in advance...

Still available on Yamaha's Japanese site:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?si … oduct_id=624481

In other news, I found a fully boxed PLG100-SG at my local junk shop for about $40.
A real oddity, wacky, and fun to play with. Came with the original floppy too, so here's all the
official demo songs:
https://youtu.be/4ebITb69igk

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 25 of 134, by snakecoils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much! Really! I just upgraded my unit to MU2000EX using the Macintosh USB updater (on OS9 only, in two part). The whole procedure is well illustrated and in english language, everything gone absolutely smooth and without troubles, only a bit of patience is needed. Before to start the upgrade I had to install the Yamaha USB Midi driver for OS9 and consequentially the OMS environment, the MU2000 was assigned to "Port 1" and the same selected in the updater. Now I have the best of both worlds, XG and GS in their full glory!
Again a big THANK YOU for your hint, SuperDeadite!

Reply 26 of 134, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote:

Still available on Yamaha's Japanese site:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?si … oduct_id=624481

Thank you for the link, I?ve just downloaded everything and yamaha USB midi drivers with Windows 10 64Bit works fine.
I'm really impressed, they developed a software driver 15 years later, Great Company.

Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 27 of 134, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI.
I'm trying to connect my mu2000 trough digital optical output, but maybe i'm doing osmething wrong because i get no output. I've plugged in a PRE-AMP, and i'm trying to get digital output converted to stereo output fro my preamp (Rotel RSP-1098) and then pluggin through G&BL Cable so my soundcard's imput but i get no sound at all 🙁.
So i've tryied to plug a poweramp to my rotel using optical input and preout (instead of tape out) but still i get no sound.
Everything werks fine when i use analogue output so i'm trying to inderstand which could be the problem. Opticasl cable has 5meters lenght.
Thank you.
Aldo

Reply 28 of 134, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea about your other audio equipment. But in the MU2000's Settings there is an option called "Digital Gain" This is used to adjust the volume of the digital output.

Reply 29 of 134, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried eberything, but no way. Even if Rotel was a really expensive pre, no way to send to tape out a digital signal apparently (and to user manual), so i needed to use the PRE Main Output, unplugging the power amp. I think I sould buy another SoundCard with digital Input, but now I?m out of budget. Assuming that the RSP-1098 DA convertrer was better than yamaha Mu2000 I'm now using this configuration, but I'm not so sure or maybe are really little differences. I'm going to upload a track recorded in both mode.
Track Ending with 1098, has this configuration: Coax Output to RSP_1098 Preamp, and PreAmp PreOut, G&BL cables to Lint INput of My SoundCard (Asus Xonar DSX). The Other file, plugging Yamaha MU-2000 RCA Analogue Output to my SoundCard. There's about 1db differences, between the 2 files).

Attachments

• Filename
    04 - Settlers 2_1098.ogg
    File size
    3.97 MiB
    Downloads
    95 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    04 - Settlers 2.ogg
    File size
    3.97 MiB
    Downloads
    85 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 30 of 134, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just use a Yamaha UW500 for my PC audio device. Does everything I need it too, cheap (in Japan at least) and sounds great.

Reply 31 of 134, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received the mu1000ex, can I be part of the gang ? It seem mine is already patched to EX as I beleive when you select the mode if it show "GS" then it's patched, otherwise it say TG300B ? Also there is no demo. Too bad, I would had like to appreciate the difference, but I probably can always compare with an mu128 I got.

On another topic, the dial jog rotary encoder is really messed up, one side dont seem to work at all while the other give randomly up or down value. I wonder if those are easy to repair/replace ? I think I can always use the select/value button, but I'd like to give it a shot at fixing it, any thought ? : EDIT : With the help of this article and the mu128 disassembly guide I was able to clean the contact of the encoder with a simple white eraser and now it dont miss a notch, feel brand new 😀. The metal did not seem oxyded or teared off so my guess is that the oil somehow got into the assembly and become polluted as it was all brown as in the article then it short or prevent good contact of the encoder wheel. I also tighten a bit the metal but I dont think it was related to the issue.

Reply 32 of 134, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome.

And while this goes beyond the scope of this website, I'm happy to say that I found a good use for my PLG150-AN, it plays quite happily with my MSX MIDI-PAC. Here are 2 examples, the MIDI-PAC converts the MSX PSG audio info to MIDI in real-time.

https://youtu.be/9RJl9aebBM4
https://youtu.be/UcqYe48eqj8

Reply 33 of 134, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My project is going well too, so far I was able (on dos and win9x) to route the mpu401 of the ews64l to the card's da-15 connector and drive the mu1000ex with it. The mu1000ex then output optical spdif to my receiver. It remain to output the audio out of the ews64l to the audio in of the mu1000ex so I can add sound fx from the sbpro part of the ews64l and hopefully the mu1000ex will mix it on his digital output. I'll have to daisychain the guspnp to the ews64 audio in. If everything continue to goes well this week-end I'll be able to watch the dune2 intro the better I ever did. I used the warcraft 2 dos setup program to test.

SuperDeadite : do you run the AN on the uw500 or on an MU ? From my still very benign understanding of the PLG card and the mu in general I dont think you can easily use such card to listen to midi video game soundtrack or from games without some remaping. I beleive maybe using the DR is easyer as it can transparently remap the drum, right ?

Btw, if you start the MU holding the play+mute/solo you get the version, is 2.01 the latest ? My came pre-patched so I'm not sure it's latest.

Reply 34 of 134, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The AN is a PLG board, it needs to be installed in a module, so its in my MU2000 along with my DR and SG PLGs. DR is generally the most useful for game use.

The AN is useless for general PC game use, but in my above vids I'm using the MSX MIDI-PAC2, which is custom homebrew hardware. Games do not see it, it sees the games, and I can fully program its sysex to use the AN. But yeah, its for MSX not PC. Just posted some examples, as nowhere else to talk about PLGs really.

Reply 35 of 134, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I'm keeping an eye on the DR, but for now on I'll enjoy and try to become more familiar with the MU1000EX.

Yesterday I hooked the OUT of the EWS64 to the RCA INPUT in the rear of the mu1000ex but I realized that this is not mixed in the toslink digital out. Not so a problem as I could use the front A/D input in stereo synth mode and take advantage of the volume and knob to mix the signal. But the weird thing is that as soon as I enter in mode menu (even if I change nothing) it reset to the mic mode. The battery is allright. I'm reading the manual of the 128 in the hope there is a way to save that preset.

Reply 37 of 134, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
ElBrunzy wrote:

But the weird thing is that as soon as I enter in mode menu (even if I change nothing) it reset to the mic mode.

<SYSTEM>
←AD PartLock=on →

oh wow... thanks alot! 😁

Reply 39 of 134, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

Does yamaha mega enhancer in some version/settings support MU 2000 EX ??

I did try that tool as I found the idea interesting and imagine it would rev up my favorite video game GM soundtrack by transforming it in XG or GM2 and adding fret or breath noise at appropriate position for instance. But no MU was to be found in the preset list, and I did try some major category and it destroyed the .mid at best 😒