VOGONS

Crystal Caves Hud Shaking

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 62 of 67, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Now that you mention it...
Yesterday I tried the Warcraft2 intro again and it was choppier than I think it was some time ago. I was using my own build (kept pretty recent) on an Athlon 2400.
Just tried it again:
- dynamic core
- Frameskip 1
- dos32a

Dosbox0.63: runs pretty smooth, 28000 cycles, CPU ~95%
Tried 0.63 with 14000 cycles: ~55%, Intro also runs smooth.

My newer build: 28000 cycles, choppy, CPU 100%
Decreased cycles to 14000: ~95%, Intro runs smooth again.

Ykhwong's build: 28000 cycles: choppy, 100% CPU
14000 cycles: ~75%, smooth

Reply 63 of 67, by Cerberus_e

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ykhwong's build? 😒 Did you go through the dosbox.conf and make sure your cycles etc were set properly? It should run better most of the time...not worse.

What resolution/scaling type are you using?

I never configured anything in both in the latest CVS and the latest gold version (0.63)
and it has ntohing to do with cpu cycles in the config file, I said I tried lowering and raising them.
well, I'm playing with shaking hud now, it runs smooth, and the HUD is readable.
the red border isn't fixed yet so it's not a problem.
well, if someone has an idea what I'm doing wrong with the latest CVS it's even better 😀
also, the title bar is changed, with other values, and an FPS, is that temporary, or to be included in the gold version?

Reply 64 of 67, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try to set aspect=false? Configuration in my build has not default values in official cvs.
I applied optimization flags (cxxflags) and some patches related to optimization and modified some settings in dosbox.conf.
I'm not sure that they properly affect the speed of dosbox because they are just experimental and needed to be tested to verify if it really works.
setmode/crtc corrections in vasyl's svga patch make the frames fixed (yes, it made a game rayman slow as for me), so some games are likely to become slow.

Reply 67 of 67, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alrighty the new border patch applied to ykhwong's works like a charm. For some reason though it does not work with "surface" when in fullscreen. Instead I set it to "overlay" and it works great. Changing it to a 1 pixel wide border is good enough for me and doesn't get in the way of the HUD.

Good work all. 😁