User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
spiroyster wrote:
pepino_169 wrote:

My first upload here. Enjoy photos...
Verticom HX 16/AT Display Adapter
Western Digital Imaging

Tres coolio. I've not seen many 8514 ... or compatibles. What instructions does it support? Are all drivers supplied with it?

I didnt check floppy yet. I hope this card will be published at http://www.vgamuseum.info soon. If you are interested, scan of booklets attached.

Attachments

Reply 22301 of 52692, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My latest acquisition in the quest for the perfect socket 3 motherboard to pair with a Cyrix 5x86. A Shuttle HOT-433 rev 4. First impression is solid so far, nice quality board and performance at first glance is good too, already tested at 60 MHz FSB and it is looking promising so far. Some more testing and benchmarking will show if it can defeat the M919, which is my top performing board so far (even without L2!!). Also a plus for the board is the standard PLL with easy to find datasheet. Even the DALLAS is still holding a charge.

Attachments

• 20180307_200950.jpg
    Filename
    20180307_200950.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22302 of 52692, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had that board, and most of the cards kept the motherboard from POSTing, and shorted the ISA bus (and killing my childhood sound card). Well built, but the Dallas RTC is a royal PITA (sometimes soldered on permanently).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22303 of 52692, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

I had that board, and most of the cards kept the motherboard from POSTing, and shorted the ISA bus (and killing my childhood sound card). Well built, but the Dallas RTC is a royal PITA (sometimes soldered on permanently).

Why? The Dallas RTC mod is pretty easy and there happens to be a lot of working space on the board by that Dallas chip (on the side you need to do the mod).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22305 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had completely missed the whole Socket 754 era due to being on tour of duty, so now, fifteen years later, I decided to check it out. Some Socket 754 goodies.

ASUS_K8_V-_MX.jpg AMD_Sempron_3000.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22306 of 52692, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rikukos wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/tEtBsnmh.jpg […]
Show full quote

tEtBsnmh.jpg

It is... beautiful.

Putting this one to good use, I hope.

Awesome. Owning and using are a one-two punch for retro hardware. Congrats, rikukos. Hope to maybe own one myself at some point!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22307 of 52692, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

I had completely missed the whole Socket 754 era due to being on tour of duty, so now, fifteen years later, I decided to check it out. Some Socket 754 goodies.

Nice! I have really fond memories of the platform: I had a 754 when it was "relevant", quotation marks because it was quickly and largely overshadowed by socket 939. I remember using a cheap MSI motherboard based on nForce4-4x, it had both PCI-E and AGP slots so I used it for multiple GPU generations. Even got a 4000+ mobile CPU for it... dammit, now I got emotional.

Its probably stored somewhere at my folks' place. Next time I visit I'll look for it.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 22308 of 52692, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wireless wrote:

Just bought one, NOS unused, works perfect, new smell, all looks brand new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RETRO-P4-Dell-Lati … 353.m2749.l2649

£49 plus delivery? No brainer.

Nice, I bought one of those laptops at a thrift about 5 years ago, they make great late-9x/early-XP laptops. Since I haven't heard of anyone getting a NOS XP laptop, you should make an unboxing and first power-up video, that would definitely be an interesting sight to see.

Reply 22309 of 52692, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 9800XT I got for $25 is dead. Artifacts everywhere on startup.

I'm so pissed. Everytime a top end part finds its way to my hands at a reasonable price ($25 is what it's worth, no video card from a decade ago is worth more. Not even a V5 5500 IMO) it seems to be dead.

Off to demand my refund and leave a scathing review I suppose. There are times I wonder if items listed as tested and working are ever actually tested.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22311 of 52692, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The 9800XT I got for $25 is dead.

Everything you buy seems to be dead.

Has to be frustrating... I've had a couple purchases over the past year that turned out to have more problems than expected.

If it ends up happening constantly, I'd blame something else other than chance... maybe a bad power supply in a test system or something. Stop using Deer, Bestec or Hercules PSUs? 😵 (just kidding)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22312 of 52692, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:

If it ends up happening constantly, I'd blame something else other than chance...

probably because he lives in illinois. *rimshot*

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22313 of 52692, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

The 9800XT I got for $25 is dead. Artifacts everywhere on startup.

I'm so pissed. Everytime a top end part finds its way to my hands at a reasonable price ($25 is what it's worth, no video card from a decade ago is worth more. Not even a V5 5500 IMO) it seems to be dead.

Off to demand my refund and leave a scathing review I suppose. There are times I wonder if items listed as tested and working are ever actually tested.

Have you tried it in a few systems? I had the same artifacting problem with a 9800XT I bought recently. It did this in the first system I tried it in (think it was Socket A), then it wouldn't even boot in an nForce board (could have been the PSU though), until I had success with it in a socket 370 system - nice clear picture, everything as it should be.

Reply 22315 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If a deal sounds too good to be true it more often than not isn't.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22316 of 52692, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got these recently (sellers photo and they aren't that yellowed). Only did a quick test (was almost midnight) and they sound pretty good for plastic speakers 🤣

s-l800.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 22317 of 52692, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:
Got these recently (sellers photo and they aren't that yellowed). Only did a quick test (was almost midnight) and they sound pre […]
Show full quote

Got these recently (sellers photo and they aren't that yellowed). Only did a quick test (was almost midnight) and they sound pretty good for plastic speakers 🤣

s-l800.jpg

Nice, I have those on my 'wanted' list 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 22318 of 52692, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Skeletor's got a new home - an iiyama Pro510.

And finally an ARK1000 - with the PMMX it is slightly slower(~3%) than the Riva128PCI in Doom, but still a screamer for such an "old" card.

Attachments

• Stingray Pro - Ark1000PV.jpg
    Filename
    Stingray Pro - Ark1000PV.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • _Picture 008.jpg
    Filename
    _Picture 008.jpg
    File size
    350.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by amadeus777999 on 2018-03-08, 14:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22319 of 52692, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

If a deal sounds too good to be true it more often than not isn't.

This Gateways power supply isnt labeled with a rating (well, not one I can see but this case has an upside down mount so it's probably on the otherside) but it has 8 molex connectors and two floppies and this machine was Gateways entry level gaming tower for that model year. I can only assume it to be of reasonable build quality. 9800XTs don't take an astronomical amount of power anyways. I'll throw it into another system with a power supply that I know can take the load later. This gateway is kinda weird anyways being a Socket 478 RD-RAM eATX machine. The other guys idea about a BIOS conflict might be worth a thought.

The reason I say it's memory is because the letters on the bootscreen keep changing. Like an X will turn into a P, then an %, then an 0, then a T. Lots of letters do this all at once.

There's also the usual grid pattern artifact doting you see with failed memory.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction