voodoo 2 sli higher res

Topic actions

First post, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

how do i force my voodoo 2 sli to set a higher resolution it wont let me
i have use phils computer labs drivers for both cards FastVoodoo2 4.6 sli
installed both drivers but when i go to display properties resolution i cannot make it go higher for the voodoo cards than 640x480
the 2d card is a S3 Trio64 V2DX
or is the voodoo 2 card only active in game ? because in quake i cannot go higher than 640x480

Reply 1 of 21, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1st check that you have set a monitor under Display settings that supports higher resolutions.

Voodoo resolutions can only be set in games.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 21, by scroeffie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

S3 Trio64 V2DX is set to 1024x768
oke voodoo only ingame ok
hey i used quake version 1.8 the max setting ingame is now 800x600 is this correct but it looks realy good and sharp
iam learning stuff step by step 😀

i was testing some games tombraider looks like shit
is there like a patch for games 3d for the voodooo 2 cards sli ?

Reply 3 of 21, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

800x600 is even possible with a single Voodoo1 (no z-buffer then, however). You are better off trying games that came out when the Voodoo2 was already available. Games from the Voodoo1 era won't allow more than 800x600, as that simply wasn't possible back then.

Reply 6 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MiniGL shipped with GLQuake is '97 old and you should replace it with something newer that knows what advances 3dfx had done since. It's easy to copy 3dfxvgl.dll over opengl32.dll in the quake folder.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 21, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for necromancy but since it's related... is it possible to force a single Voodoo 2 to give you 1024 x 768? In some cases it would appear from the benchmarks that it could permit smooth gameplay, even though the resolution is not supported. I read so far that you can do it without a z buffer but is that always the case or is there a way to force that too?

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 8 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only in a handful of Direct3D games daring to go without any Z it would allow that. Battlezone is the only one that comes to mind and it's ugly on a single V2 at that high.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 21, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Only in a handful of Direct3D games daring to go without any Z it would allow that. Battlezone is the only one that comes to mind and it's ugly on a single V2 at that high.

Oh, that's too bad. It seems kind of unnecessary that they would prohibit you from raising the resolution. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. No harm no foul. Instead they had to cap it so even in games running 50 FPS, you can't ever enjoy the game at a higher quality level.

I came across these Fast Voodoo2 drivers, which I take it is an open source fan project but it appears to be very brand specific so I'm not even sure it would benefit me (mine is a Magic3D card). Since the CPU stops being a bottleneck at roughly 400 MHz and I just so happen to have a 400MHz board laying around, I thought it would be the perfect combo but alas, I don't have SLI and many of the games that look their best on Glide would look that much better at 1024x768. I guess I can't even SLI properly unless I get an identical branded board. I keep forgetting what year we live in, as crossfire at least doesn't care about this as long as the chipset is the same.

Reply 10 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to say Jedi Knight is another but I'm not sure.

It's not that they prohibit you from trying, it's that with Z-buffer the card does not have enough framebuffer RAM to support beyond 800x600. It's the same with Voodoo 1, which can go to 800x600 instead of 640x480 if Z-buffer is not used.

Reply 11 of 21, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh I get it, because 1 of the bricks is 4MB for frame buffer and that's what's rendered to screen? I take it the z buffer is a part of that data so it won't fit when there are that many pixels with z values right?

So is z buffering something that is usually application specific or can it be globally turned off? I assume before the invention of z buffering, some other method was used to calculate depth, which might still function in most games. Maybe it would be worth the trade.

Reply 12 of 21, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FastVoodoo can support mismatched SLI, in rare cases it will require manual tweaking in registry for a proper picture.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 21, by titsmcgee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

No Z buffer in mechwarrior 2. voodoo1 can play it at 800x600

Reply 14 of 21, by titsmcgee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I came across these Fast Voodoo2 drivers, which I take it is an open source fan project but it appears to be very brand specific so I'm not even sure it would benefit me (mine is a Magic3D card).

Fastvoodoo works with any card.

Reply 15 of 21, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For example Quantum Obsidian X-24 will not work properly in SLI mode without registry tweaks. Some Voodoo 2 cards might require similar tweaks for mismatched SLI.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Oh I get it, because 1 of the bricks is 4MB for frame buffer and that's what's rendered to screen? I take it the z buffer is a part of that data so it won't fit when there are that many pixels with z values right?

So is z buffering something that is usually application specific or can it be globally turned off? I assume before the invention of z buffering, some other method was used to calculate depth, which might still function in most games. Maybe it would be worth the trade.

Some games do use different approaches to depth sorting. Typically software rendering engines converted to 3D acceleration. Mechwarrior 2, vQuake (Rendition Verite) and software mode Quake for example. But it's not something you can just turn off.

Early console 3D games often avoid z-buffering. N64 was very slow at it for example. That's also why vQuake doesn't use z-buffering. V1000 was quite slow at it.

Reply 17 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Early console 3D games often avoid z-buffering. N64 was very slow at it for example.

Really? That's the first I've heard of this, I've always associated it as the first console truly capable of doing Z-Buffering, since it was quite a bit more advanced than the competing Saturn and PS1.

Reply 18 of 21, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

Some games do use different approaches to depth sorting. Typically software rendering engines converted to 3D acceleration. Mechwarrior 2, vQuake (Rendition Verite) and software mode Quake for example. But it's not something you can just turn off.

Early console 3D games often avoid z-buffering. N64 was very slow at it for example. That's also why vQuake doesn't use z-buffering. V1000 was quite slow at it.

C:\Turn off z buffering
Invalid command or file name

C:\Ok this time REALLY turn off Z buffering.EXE
Cut it out you!

C:\No_Z_Buf.BAT /I /M /C -reus -dude
BSOD muthaf**ka

Reply 19 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Early console 3D games often avoid z-buffering. N64 was very slow at it for example.

Really? That's the first I've heard of this, I've always associated it as the first console truly capable of doing Z-Buffering, since it was quite a bit more advanced than the competing Saturn and PS1.

Using Z buffering reduces fill rate considerably on N64. I imagine most games use Z buffering but it wasn't the fastest way to go and later games by the more sophisticated developers used different techniques.

Verite V1000 has the same problem.