VOGONS

Windows 98 VM

Topic actions

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This may be a completely stupid question but I have to ask since I just created my first VM that's running Windows 98 SE. It just got me thinking and wondering if DgVoodoo2 could actually somehow work with it? Thanks so much in advance!

Reply 1 of 4, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dgVoodoo 2 uses DirectX 11 which is not supported on Windows 98. However there is dgVoodoo 1, to wrap Glide on Windows 98/2000/XP. I don't know will that work in a virtual machine though.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 2 of 4, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antrad wrote:

dgVoodoo 2 uses DirectX 11 which is not supported on Windows 98. However there is dgVoodoo 1, to wrap Glide on Windows 98/2000/XP. I don't know will that work in a virtual machine though.

Thank you so so much for the response. What exactly does DgVoodoo1 wrap to or do?

Reply 3 of 4, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
IMeganElisabeth wrote:
antrad wrote:

Thank you so so much for the response. What exactly does DgVoodoo1 wrap to or do?

But, it says it right there GLIDE. It is a 3D graphics API used only on 3dfx cards. Some games could only use 3dfc cards, and if you didn't have one game would be rendered in software mode using the CPU, which is slower and looks worse. With dgvoodoo you can use any graphics card.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 4 of 4, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
antrad wrote:
IMeganElisabeth wrote:
antrad wrote:

But, it says it right there GLIDE. It is a 3D graphics API used only on 3dfx cards. Some games could only use 3dfc cards, and if you didn't have one game would be rendered in software mode using the CPU, which is slower and looks worse. With dgvoodoo you can use any graphics card.

You have no idea how greatly I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. I now fully understand what GLIDE actually is and does after not understanding it for quite some time.