VOGONS

First post, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically like the title says, I have a Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ LCD monitor that has an issue with artifacts. I've owned the monitor since 2006, love the snot out of it, and used it regularly until 2012, when the artifact issue came up. Specs can be found here.

What happens is when the monitor is run for over thirty minutes on VGA or DVI at either its native resolution or most typical ones, a tiny amount of flashing pixels will begin to show up around different parts of the screen, just like when a graphics card artifacts. As the minutes roll by, the artifacts get worse, but it never makes the monitor turn to complete noise, though for all intents and purposes still makes it unbearable. However, if it reaches the point of significant artifacting and you switch over to a small resolution like that used in DOS, the artifacts disappear, until you boot into something like Windows and the res bumps up over 800x600, at which point the screen often just displays solid white. If the monitor is allowed to cool down for about an hour, it returns to normal, until allowed to warm up again.

I've long since confirmed it's not an issue from a source PC, video cables, power connection, or settings on the monitor. Any ideas where I might start with diagnostics? Any hope of recovering it?

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 1 of 5, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Capacitor aging probably. They're passive components used for filtering and function based on a time constant. It's taking time for the noise to show up and grows worse. The time constants have changed from heat and component aging so the filter performs worse. The LVDS signal to the TFT panel is not going in clean if a pattern of pixels are not correct. If it were a loose or broken cable it would be instant and consistent. So it could be you need to replace the electrolytic caps near the power supply portion of the monitor. That's my guess.

On the practicality side, nice LED (backlit) monitors consume about half of the power and only cost about $80 now for a new decent model. Some out there still do have VGA inputs as well. Depends what your time is worth, I mean, this is not an HP DreamColor or anything.

Reply 2 of 5, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Auzner wrote:

Capacitor aging probably. They're passive components used for filtering and function based on a time constant. It's taking time for the noise to show up and grows worse. The time constants have changed from heat and component aging so the filter performs worse. The LVDS signal to the TFT panel is not going in clean if a pattern of pixels are not correct. If it were a loose or broken cable it would be instant and consistent. So it could be you need to replace the electrolytic caps near the power supply portion of the monitor. That's my guess.

On the practicality side, nice LED (backlit) monitors consume about half of the power and only cost about $80 now for a new decent model. Some out there still do have VGA inputs as well. Depends what your time is worth, I mean, this is not an HP DreamColor or anything.

I have a handful of decent LED monitors with VGA inputs, but they're all 16:9 ratio, whereas my Hyundai is 4:3 -- something I want to keep for my 90s through mid-2000s rigs. It's not a necessity mind you, but I don't have any LED monitors as tall as the Hyundai, or with the adjustable stand it has.

That said, I'd definitely be willing to work on a capacitor. I had heard elsewhere that a failure like this on an LCD monitor was unlikely to be due to a capacitor (just browsing around online), but I still wondered since it seemed to be a heat-based issue. I'll take it apart sometime soon and see if I can find any bulging caps.

Reply 3 of 5, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, it's a 5:4 monitor, taller than 4:3. 17 and 19" monitors were all that. A 23" 16:9 is about the same height as a 17" 5:4. A 24" 16:9 will be about the height of a 19".
Adjustable stands are still made, but on higher tiered models. There's always after market so long the monitor has a VESA mount.

Reply 4 of 5, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Took the monitor apart and dug down to the power inverter board: found no bulging caps. Checked each one, they read appropriately, but decided to replace them all anyway. No issues there.

Just finished a two-hour stress-test of the monitor at its native res playing a DVD off a WinXP machine over VGA, and unfortunately the artifacts still returned. This is the longest I've run the monitor in years, and there appears to be a new issue once warm: every few minutes, XP will make the new device notification sound. If you keep the display settings open when the sound goes off, it will switch from a PnP monitor driver to Default Monitor, and the available resolutions will change from those native to the monitor to universal selections. It's as if it's losing sync with the monitor, but the display doesn't go on or off. Wiggling the VGA cord and the monitor's frame don't seem to have any impact.

At this point, I'm thinking a chip inside is overheating and causing these issues. Would I be right in thinking as much? Is there anything else I could do or check?

Reply 5 of 5, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bump to see if anyone has any ideas. Will probably scrap the monitor if nothing turns up. It served a good life during my teens anyway. 😀