VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm having a strange issue with my 440BX Win98SE system that I've never before encountered on other builds.

Whenever I am copying, moving or deleting large files, or numerous files, Explorer seems to hang. Sometimes it just hangs for a few minutes, then becomes responsive, sometimes it completely messes up. While Explorer is messed up, I can actually use the Start menu, launch programs and do other stuff until it recovers, if it recovers.

I've tried to troubleshoot this problem and the only resource I could find was this page that blames it all on IE6.0 which I incidentally have installed. However, IE6.0 never caused this issue with other systems of mine.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rings a bell but I cant remember what I did.
Did you install the chipset drivers and enable DMA? I think version 3.20.1008 was the latest.

I also dont install any hotfixes, Just IE6

Reply 2 of 12, by verysaving

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Should be shell32.dll buggy if I remember correctly.
Upgrade it!

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

Rings a bell but I cant remember what I did.
Did you install the chipset drivers and enable DMA? I think version 3.20.1008 was the latest.

I also dont install any hotfixes, Just IE6

Ding! No I didnt even know there are chipset drivers for 440BX *facepalm*

Is this necessary for 430 and 440LX chipsets as well? Never had an issue with them in 98SE possibly due to mature drivers beşng bundled with the OS I suppose.

Reply 4 of 12, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Yes, many times, due to the ie6 bug when it comes move/delete large/many files. Nowdays on win9x systems I never go beyond ie55sp2 to avoid it and ie6 is not really needed for me anymore - webpages that doesn't work with ie55 will not really work with ie6 either.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-03-28, 14:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dottoss wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Yes, many times, due to the ie6 bug when it comes move/delete large/many files. Nowdays on win9x systems I never go beyond ie55sp2 to avoid it and ie6 is not really needed for me anymore - Webpages that doesn't work with ie55 will not really work with ie6 either.

Interesting how this does not happen with my 430TX K6-2 system, though.

Reply 6 of 12, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Interesting how this does not happen with my 430TX K6-2 system, though.

Perhaps, but the bug was never really disclosed by Microsoft, nor fixed. Who knows how it really works. I can tell you though, sooner or later, it always happens for me. Not all file operations triggers it, but most of them do. I do image archiving on all my cd-roms on my Win9x box, and the files is usually between 500-700mb and it usually happens with ie6 installed 9 out 10 times when i move/copy/delete the image file to my various NAS solutions and when deleting the file on the local storage on the win9x. If i delete a gamefolder, with somewhat many files in it, it usually also triggers it.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-03-28, 13:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dottoss wrote:

Perhaps this resource can satisfy your curiosity - https://msfn.org/board/topic/84451-98-fe-98-s … shell32dll-fix/

Many thanks, downloaded and will install this patch tonight.

I will also install the Intel Chipset Drivers and this patch on my 430TX system as well. 😎

30 years after the fact, I have found out about and the solution, to possibly the most annoying bug in Win98SE. I probably did not suffer this because I moved to Win2K by the time IE6 was around (and I probably never bothered installing that, as I was a Netscape guy..)

Reply 9 of 12, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All links are dead, does anyone have one for windows me: SHELLME.EXE

Reply 11 of 12, by alexclaudiu2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you darry! you are the best

Reply 12 of 12, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

large or numerous files bug can be patched with autopatcher 2007 but i think theres a side effect like shortcut arrows cannot be hidden i think