VOGONS

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the original Psygnosis Formula 1 game (Glide), the rear wings of cars are drawing inside the author of the car, on close up behind-the-car view.

I can't remember if real 3Dfx hardware had this issue or not. nGlide renders it properly, but has its own share of z-fighting bugs, as does the Zeckensack wrapper. I haven't tried PCem yet.

Any ideas? Or possible fixes?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried it on PCem, with the fully software emulated Voodoo2, and the same rear-wing clipping bugs occur (take the Jordan car for example, the rear-wing vanishes on close up behind-car camera). So I suspect that nGlide somehow has fixed a bug that should possibly happen, somehow!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 11, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Just tried it on PCem, with the fully software emulated Voodoo2, and the same rear-wing clipping bugs occur (take the Jordan car for example, the rear-wing vanishes on close up behind-car camera).

Ok, so it's a feature, not a bug in dgVoodoo. 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still not sure. From further testing on the low-down behind-the-car view (i.e. first one where you're not over the cockpit or in-car):
nGlide = you can see the whole rear wing on cars (but edging on transparent tree textures is hard black edges)
PCem = you can see MOST of the rear wing on cars (edging on transparent tree textures is similar to the above)
dgVoogoo2 = you can't see ANY of the rear wing on cars (edging on transparent tree textures is best though)

A further question though, is about gamma. I remember Glide games turning up the gamma a bit, and on pcEM the default is 1.3 gamma setting. I can replicate this in nGlide's settings or using desktop settings and let dgVoodoo2 inherit them. In which case, dgVoodoo looks the best apart from the rear wing clipping/ordering bug.

Reply 5 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more thought: dgVoodoo1 had a big issue where most of the car was cut off by clipping. It does appear, when you swap from further away behind-the-car camera angles to the closest one (to the car) that the rear wing might just be hitting some camera clipping and is being cut off.

Reply 6 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's some pictures to illlustrate. Note that I'm running one of the various Formula 1 patches though, I think it's the "joystick version" (see here http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/1711/7/), it skips the opening video which crashes otherwise. It has some bugs in the executable, but I don't think the 3D is part of it. PCem is running the original CD version (from Platinum re-release):

PCem - part of rear wing clipped away:
TFj8MuX.png

dgVoodoo2 - whole rear wing clipped away
tavut7w.png

nGlide - entire rear wing visible:
kjANNpT.png

So PCem is most accurate, possibly (tgod please confirm on real hardware; start of race at Belgium, ninja draw depth), but dgVoodoo is nearly identical to it, apart from the rear wing. nGlide has the best rear wing, but has much heavier anti-aliasing (fade to black) on the edges of trees and the horizon.

Reply 8 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that, nGlide does look slightly too dark on the edge of transparent tree textures, and certainly on the horizon, whilst the rear wing on PCem is the most accurate. Interesting that the red chevrons for Marlboro are missing in all mine, maybe the Platinum rerelease had them purged from the game!

Reply 9 of 11, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

F1 '95 / '97 both got ps1 releases so you could compare them to that, probably better off emulating them anyway in HD/4K with shaders on one the various emulators supporting the GTE Accuracy Hack and XBR texture filtering.

Reply 10 of 11, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PC versions will look better; with dgVoodoo2 or nGlide you can ramp them up the high definition, plus there's better things like perspective corrected textures, which the PS1 doesn't do. The PS1 version has better music though.

Reply 11 of 11, by kevsmudge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

The PC versions will look better; with dgVoodoo2 or nGlide you can ramp them up the high definition, plus there's better things like perspective corrected textures, which the PS1 doesn't do. The PS1 version has better music though.

Isn't that what I mentioned with PGXP?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4OwvK0hcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oBeO-cui_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGnLRR9kyvc