VOGONS

First post, by tumultTransmuted

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in love with this program. I've used it on Might and Magic 6/7 with perfect results.

BUT, I just picked up FFXI again and have noticed an issue that I only run into when using DGVoodoo. Every once in a while, the graphics lock up and I have to end task and re-open the game. The game is still running and I can hear the action, but the graphics have frozen.

This doesn't happen when I'm running the game alone or with just Windower, only when I'm using DGVoodoo.

I also noticed it happens more often depending on how much VRAM I have allocated to it via DGVoodoo. I currently use 4095MB (increase the cap please? I have 11GB of VRAM 😜) but the issue happens much faster with 256 or 1024MB of VRAM.

My specs if it helps:

i7-4770k @ 4.6GHz
1080ti (11GB VRAM) w/ latest nVidia drivers (as of 2018-03-15)
32GB RAM @ 2400 MHz
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
SSD
Windows 10 with all updates

DGVoodoo WIP 43

Disable and passthru to real DirectX, unchecked

dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card
VRAM 4095 MB
Texturing: Force Anisotropic 4x
No mipmapping, unchecked
Resolution: 2560x1440
Behavior: Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state, checked
Disable Alt-Enter to toggle screen state, checked
Antialiasing: 8x
Misc: Bilinear blit stretch checked
Apply Phong shading when possible, checked
Fast video memory access, checked
Force vSync, unchecked
dgVoodoo watermark, unchecked

And sorry, I haven't kept a good eye on VRAM usage to definitively say if that's the issue though it is my hunch.

Edit: I did check the VRAM usage the last two times this happened and both times my VRAM was totally maxed out. Nothing open except Final Fantasy XI.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, it sounds strange. 4GB as virtual video memory should more than enough for FFXI.

Does the debug layer say something useful when the lockup occur?

tumultTransmuted wrote:

I currently use 4095MB (increase the cap please? I have 11GB of VRAM ) but the issue happens much faster with 256 or 1024MB of VRAM.

But I can't. 4GB is the maximum for 32 bit. 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by tumultTransmuted

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Hmm, it sounds strange. 4GB as virtual video memory should more than enough for FFXI.

Does the debug layer say something useful when the lockup occur?

I'm actually not even sure how to look at that!

Dege wrote:

But I can't. 4GB is the maximum for 32 bit. 😀

I was afraid that was going to be your answer. There's no way around that, like intercepting the calls and forcing them to use 64bit memory space? Can't say I know much about memory management on a base level-- barely functioning for basic programming here. ( I made a CLI calculator once 😜) I just recall modifying exes of certain programs (WoW.exe, looking at you) to accept 64 bit memory and they worked just fine like that.

Anyway, I upgraded my nVidia drivers and that issue disappeared. So it probably wasn't a problem with the program anyway! 🤣

Reply 3 of 3, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tumultTransmuted wrote:

Anyway, I upgraded my nVidia drivers and that issue disappeared. So it probably wasn't a problem with the program anyway! 🤣

It's great!!

tumultTransmuted wrote:

I was afraid that was going to be your answer. There's no way around that, like intercepting the calls and forcing them to use 64bit memory space? Can't say I know much about memory management on a base level-- barely functioning for basic programming here. ( I made a CLI calculator once 😜) I just recall modifying exes of certain programs (WoW.exe, looking at you) to accept 64 bit memory and they worked just fine like that.

I don't really know... dgVoodoo is 32 bit, using 32 bit version of D3D11.
But, since most of the resources are located on the GPU side, theoretically it could utilize more than 4GB from it.