VOGONS

Reply 81 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
truemaster wrote:

i have test my sblive in another pci port the result is the same. no go. is there a way to make it work?

No, you need an ICH5 southbridge or earlier. If you want to run the Live! under DOS on a PCIe based setup you need to go for VIA or SiS (also ULi/ALi with Athlon 64).

or a yamaha-aureal vortex 2 is needed??

That's correct for you current motherboard.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 83 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

@sparky4

That chipset doesn't support DDMA, so there is no help in modifying SETUPDS.EXE.

what should i do then? reduce the ram and try a different slot? or is it no hope? original DOOM works perfectly with OPL3 and SOUND BLASTER support.
or should i try a different card?

cyclone3d wrote:

Have you tried a different PCI slot?

What are the exact settings you are using in the setupds.exe configuration utility?

Post pics if possible.

not 100% sure but i can try by removing all my cards and just have the pcie slot in use by graphics card only. with the ymf724 in a pci slot next to it of course.

here is the ds.ini

LEGEN=1
SBIO=0
SBIRQ=0
SBDMA=1
MPUIO=0
MPUIRQ=0
JOYIO=0
INTAIRQ=5
IRQMODE=1
DMAMODE=3
FIRSTTRY=0
SLAVEBASE=0
SLAVEADDR=0
LEGMAS=77
VOICE=77
FM=77
MASTER=0
MONO=8000
PCBEEP=8000
PHONE=8008
MIC=8008
LINE=8808
CD=8808
VIDEO=8808
AUX=8808
PCM=808
SBFILE=YMH8.WAV
NAFILE=YMH16.WAV
FMFILE=YMH.MID
PIRQRC=0
LOADTSR=1
IRQSHARE=0

wwww

Reply 84 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote:

what should i do then? reduce the ram and try a different slot? or is it no hope? original DOOM works perfectly with OPL3 and SOUND BLASTER support.

I would try using 512/256MB of RAM and EMM386 instead. If you change PCI slot remember to change FIRSTTRY= to 1 for SETUPDS to automatically reconfigure and always use the LOADTSR batch file to initialize the card and load DSDMA (if DSDMA doesn't load automatically there's something wrong).

One thing I don't know if there's any differences in compatibility between the different 7x4 revisions when it comes to using the DSDMA TSR. Have you tried your card in any other computer?

YouTube channel

Reply 85 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
sparky4 wrote:

I would try using 512/256MB of RAM and EMM386 instead. If you change PCI slot remember to change FIRSTTRY= to 1 for SETUPDS to automatically reconfigure and always use the LOADTSR batch file to initialize the card and load DSDMA (if DSDMA doesn't load automatically there's something wrong).

One thing I don't know if there's any differences in compatibility between the different 7x4 revisions when it comes to using the DSDMA TSR. Have you tried your card in any other computer?

ok i will try those things!

not yet! because finding a test computer and set up because of lack of time

wwww

Reply 86 of 122, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

aureal vortex 2 works ok and the good thing is it doesent need any ems. heres the comparison, in all windows game is superior to sb live. but back when i have the p3 mobo the live has better audio in dos but for pure dos the live need ems when the aureal does not.

Reply 87 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
truemaster wrote:

aureal vortex 2 works ok and the good thing is it doesent need any ems. heres the comparison, in all windows game is superior to sb live. but back when i have the p3 mobo the live has better audio in dos but for pure dos the live need ems when the aureal does not.

hmmm what dose it look like? i may have one

wwww

Reply 89 of 122, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
i finally completed my first round of X58 + Yamaha 744 Pure DOS compatibility testing (97 games), now is time check results and for suggestions what to try to fix problems, any help is welcome.
It would be really nice if someone with Yamaha 72x / 74x would retest some of problematic games, if has same problems, if he/she would have older chipset that me, even better - it would be really nice to now if problem in soundcard and drivers in usage of too new chipsets.

X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 90 of 122, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok have tested 130+ games, in find ~20 not working (described in Not working games for now section of first post) with Yamaha SB emulation, could someone pleas retest someone them too and tell if has same problems?
Pleas add info about used MB.
X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 92 of 122, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote:

good news i changed to a hp wx4600 motherboard and now all of a sudden everything with sound works perfectly 🤣 <3

So Intel X38 Express chipset if im not wrong? BTW i read some old post you were using JEMM.. today news that you need NOVME parameter at least with some boards to make DSDMA working..

Reply 93 of 122, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:
sparky4 wrote:

good news i changed to a hp wx4600 motherboard and now all of a sudden everything with sound works perfectly 🤣 <3

So Intel X38 Express chipset if im not wrong? BTW i read some old post you were using JEMM.. today news that you need NOVME parameter at least with some boards to make DSDMA working..

!!!! i think i should try that when i get home
but if i am not mistaken i think certain games need vme or so

wwww

Reply 94 of 122, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

What version of SETUPDS is being used? Is it a modified one?

No, it's an unmodified one from the driver package downloaded directly from Yamaha.

Hi Kamerat,

May I know if this setupds is version 3.16? I couldn't get it to work, dma will be disabled, unless it is modified and the south bridge vendor/device ids are inserted. I'm also very interested in how you've gotten nForce 4 boards to work, since the chipset is not supported in the original setupds.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 95 of 122, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

For DOS gaming on a PCIe system I would choose a ESS Solo-1 soundcard on a VIA based motherboard. Using the Yamaha YMF7xx DSDMA TSR requires EMM386 loaded and sometimes the system looses access to the harddrive when quitting games so you got to restart the system.

I have bought a YMF724 that is very finicky (it will only be detected in a couple of PCI slots). I used the LOADTSR.BAT that was shared on vogons and can get sounds effect in games such as DOOM. However DSDMA.EXE requires EMM386.EXE. Also, I could not get any form of MPU401 music working in DOOM.

• - Is it possible to have SB IRQ and DMA working without EMM386? I understand the Solo-1 card can do it with DDMA. The motherboard I use is the KT7A (KT133A chipset / VT82C686B south bridge) and can do DDMA.
    - Is MPU401 supposed to work? As far as I understand it is supported since the card can do MIDI sound in Windows.

Reply 96 of 122, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To answer my first question, Kamerat posted in another thread a modified version of SETUPDS.EXE that will accept the KT133 southbridge as DDMA capable.

However when using DDMA DOOM crashes at startup, and Quake freeze. Wolf3d has no issues. All three work without problem with DSDMA.EXE.

Reply 97 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cde- wrote:
I have bought a YMF724 that is very finicky (it will only be detected in a couple of PCI slots). I used the LOADTSR.BAT that was […]
Show full quote

I have bought a YMF724 that is very finicky (it will only be detected in a couple of PCI slots). I used the LOADTSR.BAT that was shared on vogons and can get sounds effect in games such as DOOM. However DSDMA.EXE requires EMM386.EXE. Also, I could not get any form of MPU401 music working in DOOM.

• - Is it possible to have SB IRQ and DMA working without EMM386? I understand the Solo-1 card can do it with DDMA. The motherboard I use is the KT7A (KT133A chipset / VT82C686B south bridge) and can do DDMA.
    - Is MPU401 supposed to work? As far as I understand it is supported since the card can do MIDI sound in Windows.

The MPU-401 interface works under MS-DOS but only for external synth modules. Only in Windows you can use Yamaha's own synth.

cde- wrote:

To answer my first question, Kamerat posted in another thread a modified version of SETUPDS.EXE that will accept the KT133 southbridge as DDMA capable.

However when using DDMA DOOM crashes at startup, and Quake freeze. Wolf3d has no issues. All three work without problem with DSDMA.EXE.

Try using the PCI IRQ in games. There's also some utilities for the YMF7x4 on this site, like the YMFIRQ one which let you change the PCI IRQ and IRQ trigger mode. Example: YMFIRQ 5 EDGE

YouTube channel

Reply 98 of 122, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kalohimal wrote:

May I know if this setupds is version 3.16? I couldn't get it to work, dma will be disabled, unless it is modified and the south bridge vendor/device ids are inserted. I'm also very interested in how you've gotten nForce 4 boards to work, since the chipset is not supported in the original setupds.

Yes, it's version 3.16. The LOADTSR batch file should load the DSDMA TSR automatically if SETUPDS initializes properly and not finding a supported chipset.

YouTube channel