VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3540 of 3949, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
awgamer wrote:
brad86 wrote:

( Well, close enough ).

What's off?

Just little things. Nothing game breaking.

Light beams go straight through Sam. You can see this in the vent on the first level. You won't notice it much through the game unless you try to.

EAX emulation is spotty on Realtek onboard audio. It sounds better than without, but it doesn't sound correct like on XBOX.

FMV videos play at their native size in the middle of the screen. They are very small on a 1080p display.

The important thing is that buffer shadows are fixed.

Reply 3541 of 3949, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brad86 wrote:
Just little things. Nothing game breaking. […]
Show full quote
awgamer wrote:
brad86 wrote:

( Well, close enough ).

What's off?

Just little things. Nothing game breaking.

Light beams go straight through Sam. You can see this in the vent on the first level. You won't notice it much through the game unless you try to.

EAX emulation is spotty on Realtek onboard audio. It sounds better than without, but it doesn't sound correct like on XBOX.

FMV videos play at their native size in the middle of the screen. They are very small on a 1080p display.

The important thing is that buffer shadows are fixed.

I think nothing of those things have anything to do with dgVoodoo.

But while we are at it... the worst thing for me in this game and Pandora Tomorrow is the horrible LOD system; people turn into PlayStation 1 characters when they are just few meters away from the camera. In PT the highest quality model loads only when you zoom into someone. And to add salt on the wound... even the inferior PS2 version doesn't have such a LOD system, the highest quality models are rendered all the time. And even worse... the PS3 HD version, which is a port of the PC version, doesn't have that fixed !

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 3542 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
V15UAL K3YS wrote:
Hey! I wanted to thank you Dege for making dgvoodoo2 in the first place; I can run Test Drive 6 and Final Drive Nitro with it pe […]
Show full quote

Hey! I wanted to thank you Dege for making dgvoodoo2 in the first place; I can run Test Drive 6 and Final Drive Nitro with it perfectly; able to override the in-game resolution and achieve much high graphical quality and framerates.

I wanted to report a graphical error it has with one game. I am trying it in one game in question known as Road Wars, a 2001 PC Combat Racing Sim that uses Direct X 7.0. In Windows 10, the gameplay runs fine but the loading menus and such are incredibly slow and choppy, and dgvoodoo fixes this. However, in races, the game shows strange graphical artifacts in the form of white/black dotted lines when using dgvoodoo2. The game uses DirectX 7.0 and requires d3drm.dll to run.

24fia2h.jpg

What version of Road Wars do you have? I got a US re-release, but the chrome effect on the cars goes transparent up close. The version is 1.0. There is a demo of version 1.1 with fixed chrome effect, but I have to run it with the chrome disabled.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3543 of 3949, by V15UAL K3YS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

What version of Road Wars do you have? I got a US re-release, but the chrome effect on the cars goes transparent up close. The version is 1.0. There is a demo of version 1.1 with fixed chrome effect, but I have to run it with the chrome disabled.

Version 1.1 (though this version comes with a different chrome map texture than the demo version online). I don't have the chrome effect issue you're having in my version; the game runs fine with it and I don't have any transparency issues with it. Regardless of how the graphics settings are adjusted though, the graphical glitching I am getting doesn't go away. I am using an NVIDIA GTX 1070 GPU if that helps.

Here's another screenshot (running with dgvoodoo2): 9vb89d.jpg

Reply 3544 of 3949, by Squall Leonhart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2.52 broke menu's and textures in FF8, i can't seem to find a configuration that makes them work in this and builds after.

Edit:
paletted textures screwing up, 8500 swaps the weird colours/texture garbling for black boxes.

Last edited by Squall Leonhart on 2018-04-05, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3546 of 3949, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KainXVIII wrote:

Testing Gabriel Knight 3 with new version - default gamma is too dark (normal without dgvoodoo), also forcing higher resolution cause mouse pointer and other menus to glitch and smear picture. Also something wrong with Gabe's eyes 🤣.
UPD - seems like glitched mouse cursor and menus fixed by disabling incremental rendering!
UPD1 - or maybe not 😵

More testing - game plays perfectly fine without forcing higher resolutions! Well, some lines on textures here and there (maybe because of MSAA), but still much better than playing without dgvoodoo (heavy framedrops)

Reply 3547 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoolGamer wrote:

Dege, please take a look at "Star Wars Rebel Assault 2" windows version when you have the time. There is no installation, just copy the contents of the first CD to a folder on your harddisk. Game executable RA2START.EXE calls DSETUP.DLL which in turn tries to access a missing procedure entry point in Kernel32.dll named SUnMapLS_IP_EBP_12. Apparently this deprecated procedure entry point only existed in windows95/98's kernel32.dll, and no longer exists in Windows 7 and up. As a result, the game crashes before it loads ddraw.dll. If you can patch the game executable, we should be able to enjoy this game through dgVoodoo. Game executable size is only 140kb, so hopefully it shouldn't be a big deal to reverse engineer it for you. 😀

Dege, did you have the chance to look at "Star Wars Rebel Assault 2"? 😀

Reply 3549 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried ReShade with dgVoodoo + Splinter Cell, and it crashes for me too:

Reshade_Crash.png

It crashes right at startup, when creating the internal swapchain of the D3D8 device. Referencing NULL ptr.

For more information on the case:

> D3D8.dll!D3D11Root::ApplyRenderTargets(unsigned int adapterID, ID3D11RenderTargetView * rt0, ID3D11RenderTargetView * rt1, ID3D11DepthStencilView * pDepthStencilView) Line 1297 C++

in dgVoodoo this method calls OMSetRenderTargets in the following form:

ID3D11RenderTargetView* rt[2] = {rt0, rt1};
adapter.pD3D11DeviceContext->OMSetRenderTargets (2, rt, pDepthStencilView);

rt0 and rt1 are both NULL, only pDepthStencilView is non-NULL. My guess is ReShade expects at least one non-NULL rendertarget (this code didn't change in dgVoodoo for ages).

Also, Crosire wrote that dgVoodoo deadlocks for him. Well, for Unreal Engine games it can indeed deadlock: since the engine forces the mouse cursor at the center of the physical window, it can easily go outside of the mouse range expected by dgVoodoo which tries to force it back, and this ping-pong results in deadlock.
For Unreal engine games it's better to set 'FreeMouse = true' in the GeneralExt config section.

Reply 3550 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoolGamer wrote:
CoolGamer wrote:

Dege, please take a look at "Star Wars Rebel Assault 2" windows version when you have the time. There is no installation, just copy the contents of the first CD to a folder on your harddisk. Game executable RA2START.EXE calls DSETUP.DLL which in turn tries to access a missing procedure entry point in Kernel32.dll named SUnMapLS_IP_EBP_12. Apparently this deprecated procedure entry point only existed in windows95/98's kernel32.dll, and no longer exists in Windows 7 and up. As a result, the game crashes before it loads ddraw.dll. If you can patch the game executable, we should be able to enjoy this game through dgVoodoo. Game executable size is only 140kb, so hopefully it shouldn't be a big deal to reverse engineer it for you. 😀

Dege, did you have the chance to look at "Star Wars Rebel Assault 2"? 😀

No, unfortunately didn't. I have got a lot to do again at my workplace, so couldn't work on dgVoodoo (beta period sucks). 😁 😵

Reply 3551 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
V15UAL K3YS wrote:
Hey! I wanted to thank you Dege for making dgvoodoo2 in the first place; I can run Test Drive 6 and Final Drive Nitro with it pe […]
Show full quote

Hey! I wanted to thank you Dege for making dgvoodoo2 in the first place; I can run Test Drive 6 and Final Drive Nitro with it perfectly; able to override the in-game resolution and achieve much high graphical quality and framerates.

I wanted to report a graphical error it has with one game. I am trying it in one game in question known as Road Wars, a 2001 PC Combat Racing Sim that uses Direct X 7.0. In Windows 10, the gameplay runs fine but the loading menus and such are incredibly slow and choppy, and dgvoodoo fixes this. However, in races, the game shows strange graphical artifacts in the form of white/black dotted lines when using dgvoodoo2. The game uses DirectX 7.0 and requires d3drm.dll to run.

24fia2h.jpg

Works perfectly for me on AMD and Intel. On nVidia I get the same flashing dotted appearance as you.
I know where the error occurs during rendering but don't know why. I debugged the wrong pixels by the graphics debugger but even debugging the pixel shader yielded what was expected.
Seems to be an nVidia-flaw. 😕

Reply 3552 of 3949, by V15UAL K3YS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Works perfectly for me on AMD and Intel. On nVidia I get the same flashing dotted appearance as you.
I know where the error occurs during rendering but don't know why. I debugged the wrong pixels by the graphics debugger but even debugging the pixel shader yielded what was expected.

That's unfortunate; would there be any possible workaround? It normally works fine without dgvoodoo2 other than the menus running slow (such as certain menus running as slow as 2 fps). The beta version of Road Wars that uses DirectX 6.1 doesn't have this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qo6q0PL-mg

Reply 3553 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
V15UAL K3YS wrote:
Dege wrote:

That's unfortunate; would there be any possible workaround? It normally works fine without dgvoodoo2 other than the menus running slow (such as certain menus running as slow as 2 fps). The beta version of Road Wars that uses DirectX 6.1 doesn't have this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qo6q0PL-mg

I have another game suffering from the same or very similar problem, I'll try to figure out something for them.
The problem is, as if pixel shaders didn't run correctly on nVidia for all pixels, for no reasons.

Reply 3554 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi , i have been testing GTA 3 with the gta 3 enhanced edition, a.k.a "Makes GTA3 look like ps2 version in HD" and i think GTA3 disslike modern OS
So i did try to fix the problems with running dgvoodoo but..

i know from the past that gta 3 was a bit of a mixed bag to run on the PC,
However later now at the present, when i tried to combine dgvoodoo with GTA3 and enhanced edition, i'v notice 3 things

Nvidia , gives the worse experience, a lot of hiccups and very often frame spikes
AMD, gives the most okey experience, more micro stutter, but its almost perfect, but it also suffers from spikes sometimes
Intel HD, 1920x1080 , because vga... actually gives the best experience .

Now i have uploaded a frame time recording here of an somewhat realistic experience. so i did it with my AMD witch gives the most accurate behavior with or without dgvoodoo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agj8jUvjAJjzm1t-54cYJrIS4QVh

Also check your PM , i'v done something that should give the installation a lot easier, so you could test it

Reply 3555 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) What are the differences between "scaling mode centered" and "scaling mode, centered keep aspect ratio"?
For each resolution selcted (640x480,2560x1440 or above my native resolution or other (my display is 2560x1440)), with "centered", aspect ratio stay 4/3.
With "centered keep aspect ratio", aspect ratio stay 4/3 if I select 4/3 resolution under my native resolution but if I select 16/9 resolution, aspect ratio become 16/9. If I select resolution above my native resolution, it's zoomed.

for example:
my native resolution : 2560x1440 (16/9)
croc "centered keep aspect ratio" at 3840x2880 (4/3 resolution)
crocd3d_2018_04_24_18_13_17_75.jpg
image is zoomed

croc "with centered", "stretched keep aspect ratio" or "stretched 4/3 aspect ratio" at 3840x2880 (4/3 resolution)

crocd3d_2018_04_24_18_13_00_46.jpg
aspect ratio stay 4/3

croc with "centered", "stretched keep aspect ratio" or "stretched 4/3 aspect ratio" or "centered keep aspect ratio" at 1920x1440

crocd3d_2018_04_24_18_13_00_46.jpg
aspect ratio stay 4/3

croc with "centered", at 2560x1440, aspect ratio stay 4/3

croc with "stretched keep aspect ratio" or "stretched 4/3 aspect ratio" or "centered keep aspect ratio" at 2560x1440
aspect ratio is 16/9

croc "centered keep aspect ratio" at 3840x2160 (16/9 resolution)
image is zoomed

croc with "centered", at 3840x2160 , aspect ratio stay 4/3

croc with "stretched keep aspect ratio" or "stretched 4/3 aspect ratio" at 3840x2160
aspect ratio is 16/9

Reply 3556 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batterymandark wrote:
Hi , i have been testing GTA 3 with the gta 3 enhanced edition, a.k.a "Makes GTA3 look like ps2 version in HD" and i think GTA3 […]
Show full quote

Hi , i have been testing GTA 3 with the gta 3 enhanced edition, a.k.a "Makes GTA3 look like ps2 version in HD" and i think GTA3 disslike modern OS
So i did try to fix the problems with running dgvoodoo but..

i know from the past that gta 3 was a bit of a mixed bag to run on the PC,
However later now at the present, when i tried to combine dgvoodoo with GTA3 and enhanced edition, i'v notice 3 things

Nvidia , gives the worse experience, a lot of hiccups and very often frame spikes
AMD, gives the most okey experience, more micro stutter, but its almost perfect, but it also suffers from spikes sometimes
Intel HD, 1920x1080 , because vga... actually gives the best experience .

Now i have uploaded a frame time recording here of an somewhat realistic experience. so i did it with my AMD witch gives the most accurate behavior with or without dgvoodoo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agj8jUvjAJjzm1t-54cYJrIS4QVh

Also check your PM , i'v done something that should give the installation a lot easier, so you could test it

Yeah, I know about GTA3. I have that installed for a long time and tested it frequently.
Me too experienced heavy frame spikes (lagging) on nVidia but worked fine on AMD according to my memory. Exactly this was the situation for Duke Nukem Manhattan Project too.
It's weird because I couldn't explain (Duke) and still can't but since then
- I modified a certain thing in 2.55 that fixed Duke lagging on nVidia, it's smooth now
- I updated my nVidia driver
I don't know which one (or both together) but GTA3 is also super smooth for me now. Didn't check that recently on AMD but just did again on nVidia and Intel and it's working fine.

willow wrote:

1) What are the differences between "scaling mode centered" and "scaling mode, centered keep aspect ratio"?
For each resolution selcted (640x480,2560x1440 or above my native resolution or other (my display is 2560x1440)), with "centered", aspect ratio stay 4/3.
With "centered keep aspect ratio", aspect ratio stay 4/3 if I select 4/3 resolution under my native resolution but if I select 16/9 resolution, aspect ratio become 16/9. If I select resolution above my native resolution, it's zoomed.

Ummm... errr... 😊 'Centered, keep aspect ratio' is an unfortunate name for centered appearance where the scaling is done by dgVoodoo itself. Plain 'centered' is also for centered appearance but scaling is up to the graphics driver.
Of course keeping aspect ratio makes no sense here because it's always kept. It's only for distinguishing between the two.
For the same reason, if you choose larger resolution than your desktop resolution then you'll only see the middle part of the output image because it's centered on (and clipped to) a smaller area.

Reply 3557 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Dege wrote:
Yeah, I know about GTA3. I have that installed for a long time and tested it frequently. Me too experienced heavy frame spikes ( […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I know about GTA3. I have that installed for a long time and tested it frequently.
Me too experienced heavy frame spikes (lagging) on nVidia but worked fine on AMD according to my memory. Exactly this was the situation for Duke Nukem Manhattan Project too.
It's weird because I couldn't explain (Duke) and still can't but since then
- I modified a certain thing in 2.55 that fixed Duke lagging on nVidia, it's smooth now
- I updated my nVidia driver
I don't know which one (or both together) but GTA3 is also super smooth for me now. Didn't check that recently on AMD but just did again on nVidia and Intel and it's working fine.

that's awesome. did you trye'd my GT3 build? on your PM, because there is a specific slow down , when hitting pause to menu, it can make my nvidia 1080 crawl to 2 fps after a few sec.
Also my GTA3 build , makes the player skin not appearing in the intro, so hes just a white model in the opening sequence. when Claude get shot by hes Girlfriend after the
bank robbery. Maybe thats a mipmap issue ??

Reply 3558 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More feedback on Lens Flare Effects in Drakan: Order of the Flame. Big screenshots coming up, best to open them separately with the option in the right-click context menu. The lag spikes have first appeared in dgVoodoo v2.53 with those effects enabled, though they're not visible in either v2.53 or any older version. v2.54 is the first version where they're visible:

yeQJUHP.png
bbKaaf2.png

Another easy place to test is by enabling developer mode (hold SHIFT when starting the game), launch Volcano level from New Game menu, skip the cutscene, then just move forward until you see a knight on the right throwing those lightning spears at you, which will trigger the effects.

With Drakan 10th Anniversary Mod (DX6 -> DX9 wrapper), those effects work without lag spikes, but it's much buggier and slower in other aspects. Before launching the mod, dgVoodoo's DDraw.dll must be moved/renamed, otherwise the mod doesn't work.

Drakan must be doing something special that those effects don't show up natively with modern drivers. The lens flare sample from DirectX 6.1 SDK works out-of-the-box on my end, but I'm also experiencing significant slowdown running it via dgVoodoo, look at this side-by-side comparison:

AcwNsgs.png

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3559 of 3949, by szabozadam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Dege
I ran into a problem with soldiers of anarchy (I saw that you fixed a crash with it not that long ago so I'm hoping you still have the game around 😀 )
For context: the game uses Direct3D7, on maps (out of menus) it tries to set a directional light (at 0x00613A4F in version 1.1.2.178) with the parameters:

d3dLight.dltType = 3;
d3dLight.dcvDiffuse.r = v6[15];
d3dLight.dcvDiffuse.g = v6[16];
d3dLight.dcvDiffuse.b = v6[17];
d3dLight.dcvDiffuse.a = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvSpecular.r = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvSpecular.g = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvSpecular.b = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvSpecular.a = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvAmbient.r = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvAmbient.g = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvAmbient.b = 0.0;
d3dLight.dcvAmbient.a = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvPosition.x = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvPosition.y = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvPosition.z = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvDirection.x = v6[22];
d3dLight.dvDirection.y = v6[23];
d3dLight.dvDirection.z = v6[24];
d3dLight.dvRange = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvFalloff = 1.0;
d3dLight.dvAttenuation0 = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvAttenuation1 = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvAttenuation2 = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvTheta = 0.0;
d3dLight.dvPhi = 0.0;

This looks as such with native DDraw
h983wrjya2wzycdzg.jpg
But with dgVoodoo2 (either the WIP44 or the 55 version regardless of settings):
qovm0jbkcixyxjqzg.jpg
I tried playing around with the parameters of the light set just above the call (again with game version 1.1.2.178) (though I must declare I'm not experienced with Direct3D7)
I could get the desired effect with native DDraw (red light for example) but dgVoodoo seemed to disregard any change I made to this call (even changing the light type) always stayed like on the picture.

I tried all the settings I could think of in the cpl and otherwise but if I'm not the first and someone found a fix to a similar problem I would be quite curious about it.

(As an endnote I admire the work you did bringing back the games of our childhood I hope you'll keep at it 😀 )