VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, with that adapter you're probably fine. I bought a Voodoo 3500 around 2000, there were no adapters back then. I wonder if I still have that card ...

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 44 of 45, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SHSUCD can only do ISO 9660 image files. No Bin/Cue mixed mode or CD-DA. No UDF. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support CD XA which means VCD and SVCD are out as well.

That's fine by me. Mixed mode might be interesting, except there's no practical way to route a digital audio stream to the sound mixer in software.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 45 of 45, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squiggly wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:
squiggly wrote:

The fact is many games don't rely heavily on the FPU and will probably run OK on a C3...but as soon as you hit the FPU it's good bye time.

What are some examples? Do they exist in DOS? Windows 95? I'd like to see some examples of games that run better on a K6 than my Ezra-T. I should say, run well - if a game is barely running on a K6 it needs something better anyway. I'm not doubting they exist by any means -- I just want to see for myself!

I also have a Nehemiah I haven't tested yet but it supposedly is much improved over the Ezra in terms of FPU. It does not scale as smoothly for older games though, from what I've read.

I don't remember the name but there was some kind of space strategy sim that crawled to a halt every time a certain battle sequence initiated, only on the C3. The fact is because floating point math is so much slower than integer math, most games probably avoid it to start with, I don't know how widespread the problem actually is. Nehemiah has a full-speed FPU...but it's a Via FPU so even at full-speed it's like a crippled old man running a marathon.

Is the space strategy game you are referring to Homeworld? I remember a discussion a while ago with it running slower on a VIA C3 Ezra compared to a K6-III+. That's a Windows game, which is far better running on a fast P3/ P4 than any of the aforementioned CPUs.

A VIA C3 is best used in a DOS-focused build, as it is more like a supercharged 486/ 586 with a gimped FPU. And in that environment, I'm not aware of any game requiring VGA or lower that is going to run too slow.