VOGONS

First post, by relo999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I turn on the It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer" message in windows 98 SE? I have an AT case with a GA-5AA inside but only get a black screen on shutdown, so every time I'm gambling a bit if it's properly shut down, or at least feels like that.

Reply 3 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you using the ATX PSU? If so, switch to another PSU, change the jumper (if there is one) or the BIOS setting (power management) to utilize the AT PSU. In fact, disable the APM under the Power Management settings in the BIOS.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
relo999 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Disable ACPI in the BIOS.

Don't have such an option in the bios

Try changing ACPI in Device Manager to Standard PC... Not sure if it's applicable to 98, but it's worth a shot.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 5 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Doing that when Windows was installed with ACPI enabled will render the system unusable. You can only enable ACPI afterwards, but not disable it.

Anyway, the black screen is a common bug in Win98SE. There's a shutdown patch for it (Q239887).

Reply 6 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, go to Start > Run (Win Key + R), type in msconfig and click OK or hit enter, click Advanced, and make sure the Disable Fast Shutdown is checked. Click OK twice and restart. Also, make sure there aren't any IRQ conflict by right-clicking on My Computer > Properties (or Win Key + Pause/Break) > Device Management, Highlight computer, and click Properties, and select IRQ.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7 of 11, by relo999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Also, go to Start > Run (Win Key + R), type in msconfig and click OK or hit enter, click Advanced, and make sure the Disable Fast Shutdown is checked. Click OK twice and restart. Also, make sure there aren't any IRQ conflict by right-clicking on My Computer > Properties (or Win Key + Pause/Break) > Device Management, Highlight computer, and click Properties, and select IRQ.

Some things are on the same IRQ, but non that complain about it. (and most make sense, like the master and secondary IDE controller being on the same IRQ) and fast shut down disabled doesn't seem to do anything.

derSammler wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Doing that when Windows was installed with ACPI enabled will render the system unusable. You can only enable ACPI afterwards, but not disable it.

Anyway, the black screen is a common bug in Win98SE. There's a shutdown patch for it (Q239887).

Installed the new patches for 98SE, I now get a "windows is shutting down" screen. Still no "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer" message now though.

bjwil1991 wrote:

Are you using the ATX PSU? If so, switch to another PSU, change the jumper (if there is one) or the BIOS setting (power management) to utilize the AT PSU. In fact, disable the APM under the Power Management settings in the BIOS.

[/quote]
No, AT power supply and with apm disabled already. and no motherboard or bios switch.

Reply 8 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Interesting, because I did disable it on a system with a Japanese copy of Windows 98 installed, and Win98 simply reinstalled certain hardware support components afterwards.

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would go as far as to say that if you enable/disable ACPI you need to re-install win9x .
The "normal" behavior is the system to not boot windows like derSammler mentions - I've also had 1 system that worked OK but everything else just needed a complete re-install.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a bug with Ali Aladdin V as far as I can tell. I have a P5A-B with the same issue and the only solution I've found is to install Windows 98 with APM instead of ACPI. To do this you have to use a switch during installation, can't remember it off the top of my head but it was something like:

D:\win98\setup.exe /p i

Reply 11 of 11, by relo999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

This is a bug with Ali Aladdin V as far as I can tell. I have a P5A-B with the same issue and the only solution I've found is to install Windows 98 with APM instead of ACPI. To do this you have to use a switch during installation, can't remember it off the top of my head but it was something like:

D:\win98\setup.exe /p i

This fixed it. Thanks!