VOGONS

First post, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, i have recently found this 486 desktop Elonex WS-425SX but I can't install any software , I have tried to install dos on another computer, however when i put it back , and set disc donfiguration (it's Toshiba MK1724fcv hdd) , and when i try to boot it Outputs this :

Starting MS-DOS

Starting MS-DOS

__

And then it hangs, no beeps , nothing.

Any help is higly apriciated 😀

Attachments

------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 2 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS is pretty basic and boots off BIOS routines, so if your DOS install works on one PC compatible computer, it should do so on another.

If not, you've got hardware problems. Given that you get 'Starting MS-DOS' the HDD seems to be recognized and at least some data (the boot sector) is being read. Possibly your HDD is too large for the BIOS, but I'd be surprised if 362MB would be too large for anything.

Other suspects: that Elonex WS-425SX would have shipped with a 486SX-25, yet your photograph shows a 486DX2-66. Possibly some component (low-spec RAM or cache) doesn't like the 33MHz system speed that uses. Try underclocking to 50MHz (25MHz bus speed) and see what happens then...

Reply 3 of 11, by dosgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Easiest is to use a CompactFlash card and mount it as a disk in VirtualBox on any PC and install away. Second easiest is to use an IDE-USB adapter and do the same thing.

Coppermine Celeron 800 @ 1.12GHz (8x140) - Asus P2B Rev. 1.12 - 256MB PC133 CL2 - Voodoo5 5500 AGP - SB AWE64 CT4520 - Roland SCC-1 - Intel Pro/1000GT - 1.44MB Floppy - ATAPI ZIP 100 - 120GB IDE - DVD-ROM - DVD-R/RW/RAM - Win98SE

Reply 4 of 11, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

DOS is pretty basic and boots off BIOS routines, so if your DOS install works on one PC compatible computer, it should do so on another.

If not, you've got hardware problems. Given that you get 'Starting MS-DOS' the HDD seems to be recognized and at least some data (the boot sector) is being read. Possibly your HDD is too large for the BIOS, but I'd be surprised if 362MB would be too large for anything.

Other suspects: that Elonex WS-425SX would have shipped with a 486SX-25, yet your photograph shows a 486DX2-66. Possibly some component (low-spec RAM or cache) doesn't like the 33MHz system speed that uses. Try underclocking to 50MHz (25MHz bus speed) and see what happens then...

I have talked to the guy who sold me this unit, It's WS-450 but with different front panel , soo i apologize, and the rest inside is from WS-450 as well , even the hdd was included there originally , I don't know where is the problem 😒

Pentium II 266 MHz
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 5 of 11, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dosgamer wrote:

Easiest is to use a CompactFlash card and mount it as a disk in VirtualBox on any PC and install away. Second easiest is to use an IDE-USB adapter and do the same thing.

I love to keep system original, I could get my hands on adapter, but since i have second system that i use for file transfer, there is no extra need of using one 😀 I guess it's hardware fault then 😒

Pentium II 266 MHz
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 6 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the power voltages.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 11, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everything is correct, i have checked the PSU and even replaced it several times

Pentium II 266 MHz
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 9 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will it BOOT a floppy with no HDD connected?

The HDD may have a corrupt MBR.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10 of 11, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It uses proprietary floppy drive that i dont have , the disk booted on second PC

Pentium II 266 MHz
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 11 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bearing in mind I'm going by a photograph....
That looks like a standard 34-p floppy header.
I suspect the only thing proprietary about the original FDD is the mounting and electrically it's standard.
A standard FDD should work for trouble-shooting, you just won't be able to install it in the case.