Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23120 of 52670, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NamelessPlayer wrote:

-Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver modular PSU, sealed in box. Hardly vintage, but how many PSUs that specced-out do you see being sold for under $20? If anything, I'm running short on ATX PSUs for all my systems!

I'm not saying this is the case with Rocketfish. I'm not familiar with their PSU line. However, specs are easy if they're invented from thin air.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23121 of 52670, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:

-Rocketfish 900W 80+ Silver modular PSU, sealed in box. Hardly vintage, but how many PSUs that specced-out do you see being sold for under $20? If anything, I'm running short on ATX PSUs for all my systems!

I'm not saying this is the case with Rocketfish. I'm not familiar with their PSU line. However, specs are easy if they're invented from thin air.

I'm well aware that specs aren't everything when it comes to PSUs. Especially when they don't have a review with ripple measurements backing 'em up.

But regardless, even if it only delivered half the wattage, it should be sufficient as a backup unit. Full modular cabling is icing on the cake. (Not that I should expect to need this any time soon; my main systems generally run on Super Flower, Seasonic or Enermax-based units, admittedly overkill for what they're powering. Especially the EVGA-badged Super Flower example, it's basically a 1300W Leadex. Bring on HEDT!)

Also, while Rocketfish isn't one of those top-tier brands, they've been known to rebadge surprisingly high-end things like cases.

If anything, what I really need is a TFX or FlexATX PSU that can deliver 400W of clean power and not assault the eardrums of everyone in the room, and getting one of those without spending a good chunk of change is a pain. But alas, that's what you gotta do when it comes down to replacing failed MDD G4 PSUs and fitting them loosely in the original proprietary PSU's location. (Typical ATX PSUs are way too big and require getting rid of the entire optical drive cage.)

Reply 23122 of 52670, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brickpad wrote:
Baoran wrote:

I bought this 486 33Mhz pc from local auction site for 50 euros. No display or keyboard comes with it though. I think the case looks pretty good. if I would want to buy a pc from ebay, I basically would have to pay 50 euros just for shipping it to my country, so that is why I don't have many old cases. Hopefully it will arrive later this week.

I have the same case as well! The 3.5" turbo / reset / LED faceplate is removable and can be placed anywhere in the 3 external 3.5" bays.

Do you happen to know how you configure the number display on this case?

Reply 23123 of 52670, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

If anything, what I really need is a TFX or FlexATX PSU that can deliver 400W of clean power and not assault the eardrums of everyone in the room, and getting one of those without spending a good chunk of change is a pain. But alas, that's what you gotta do when it comes down to replacing failed MDD G4 PSUs and fitting them loosely in the original proprietary PSU's location. (Typical ATX PSUs are way too big and require getting rid of the entire optical drive cage.)

Take a look at SFX.
In photos they look just like ATX but that's an illusion. They are much smaller than they appear.
They also go to higher watt ratings than TFX or Flex usually do.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23124 of 52670, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
Take a look at SFX. In photos they look just like ATX but that's an illusion. They are much smaller than they appear. They also […]
Show full quote
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Take a look at SFX.
In photos they look just like ATX but that's an illusion. They are much smaller than they appear.
They also go to higher watt ratings than TFX or Flex usually do.

And BeQuiet has a nice range of them, which is good news, because BeQuiet's PSUs generally do what the name suggests 😀

Yesterday my salary came in, so of course I just had to mess around on various sites hunting for hardware - and looks like I got lucky. This Saturday I'm going to pick stuff up, so expect a few nice (if very yellowed) pics. One seller has a complete "Windows 95 system", with desktop AT case, Chicony keyboard, mouse, speaker & CRT. No idea on rest of specs, but worth it for the case alone and whatever is inside it at least works. Then driving on to another who has three cases and a monitor. Also no idea about specs, but one case is a Packard Bell Squarius uATX from 1998-1999, so a perfect home for my MSI MS-6168 (Packard Bell Bora Pro). One of the other two is older (with yellowing to match) which makes me optimistic about the contents. Worst case I get an AT desktop and a Packard Bell case I wanted, best case... who knows 😉

Reply 23125 of 52670, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought two keyboards and a mouse for my Highscreen AT build (showed case here a while ago):

getsohighscreen.jpg
Filename
getsohighscreen.jpg
File size
428.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

One of them is Cherry, one is working. 🤣 So cleaning and peroxide time, I guess.

Reply 23126 of 52670, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:

Bought two keyboards and a mouse for my Highscreen AT build (showed case here a while ago):

getsohighscreen.jpg

One of them is Cherry, one is working. 🤣 So cleaning and peroxide time, I guess.

OOOOO could use them too for my Highscreens :p
Nice!

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23127 of 52670, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before.
Are these ECC modules? I can't tell such things without googling the specific hardware in question.

Ram-01.jpg
Filename
Ram-01.jpg
File size
554.61 KiB
Views
File license
Ram-02.jpg
Filename
Ram-02.jpg
File size
444.06 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23128 of 52670, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a great Craigslist score:

YhZBaHcm.jpg bAjkPeCm.jpg

Got both for $20. Hell, the travel bag is worth that! A Macintosh SE with a hard drive, and a Classic. I was told one didn't work, but I will go through both and ge them tip-top. I have no idea what the serial port on the Classic is for, but I'll find out later today!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23129 of 52670, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Got a great Craigslist score: […]
Show full quote

Got a great Craigslist score:

YhZBaHcm.jpg bAjkPeCm.jpg

Got both for $20. Hell, the travel bag is worth that! A Macintosh SE with a hard drive, and a Classic. I was told one didn't work, but I will go through both and ge them tip-top. I have no idea what the serial port on the Classic is for, but I'll find out later today!

Cool. I'm not an Apple guy but I have always liked those kind of Macs. That serial port lookg like a ghetto mod 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 23130 of 52670, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's actually quite complex!

7LyXxvXm.jpg 8Okznhfm.jpg Rxk00Zmm.jpg

I've only just started messing with this, but the factory motherboard needs to be recapped. A simple and cheap fix. But the upgrade clamps over the 68000 processor, and "upgrades" the system to a 68030@25mhz. It's like putting a 386 on top of a 8088. ALSO, it isn't a serial port, but a monochrome "1-page" monitor port with the option for a 2nd! (not installed) The previous owner actually did WORK on this machine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23131 of 52670, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh wow, nice! I did not expect that!

luckybob wrote:
It's actually quite complex! […]
Show full quote

It's actually quite complex!

7LyXxvXm.jpg <snip>
I've only just started messing with this, but the factory motherboard needs to be recapped. A simple and cheap fix. But the upgrade clamps over the 68000 processor, and "upgrades" the system to a 68030@25mhz. It's like putting a 386 on top of a 8088. ALSO, it isn't a serial port, but a monochrome "1-page" monitor port with the option for a 2nd! (not installed) The previous owner actually did WORK on this machine!

1982 to 2001

Reply 23132 of 52670, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow a 030 accelerator as well? epic score in my book!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23133 of 52670, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before. Are these ECC module […]
Show full quote

Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before.
Are these ECC modules? I can't tell such things without googling the specific hardware in question.

Ram-01.jpg
Ram-02.jpg

Yes, that is ECC. You can tell by the extra chip in the center.

Reply 23134 of 52670, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an X1650 Pro 256Mb for my Pentium 4 machine. Quite an odd looking thing really, 1.5 slot cooler but "low profile" sort of thing. Should be a nice upgrade over my MX440.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 23135 of 52670, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tegrady wrote:

Cool... Then I guess that a price tag of zero (only paid for shipping) is well in order.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 23136 of 52670, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tegrady wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Just got these two sticks of identical 72pin Ram.... I have never seen such large modules in person before. Are these ECC module […]
Show full quote

Ram-01.jpg
Ram-02.jpg

Er no, the extra chip only tells you it uses some form of parity. For regular parity you need one bit extra for every 8 bits, for ECC you need two bits extra. So you need to know the specs of the extra chip to be sure. If it's the same as the rest, it's just regular parity. If it has twice the capacity, it's ECC.

Reply 23137 of 52670, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:
Brickpad wrote:
Baoran wrote:

I bought this 486 33Mhz pc from local auction site for 50 euros. No display or keyboard comes with it though. I think the case looks pretty good. if I would want to buy a pc from ebay, I basically would have to pay 50 euros just for shipping it to my country, so that is why I don't have many old cases. Hopefully it will arrive later this week.

I have the same case as well! The 3.5" turbo / reset / LED faceplate is removable and can be placed anywhere in the 3 external 3.5" bays.

Do you happen to know how you configure the number display on this case?

Unfortunately I don't. I put it away in storage at the moment. If you can get the numbers off the back of the display (if there is any), we may be able to figure it out.

Reply 23138 of 52670, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Er no, the extra chip only tells you it uses some form of parity. For regular parity you need one bit extra for every 8 bits, for ECC you need two bits extra.

Doesn't look like simple parity - 28-pin chip.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23139 of 52670, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Er no, the extra chip only tells you it uses some form of parity. For regular parity you need one bit extra for every 8 bits, for ECC you need two bits extra.

Doesn't look like simple parity - 28-pin chip.

Agreed, but it's that - and not the simple fact that it has one more chip - that potentially makes it ECC. And even then you see some weird parity and ECC setups out there, so I'd want to know what 28p chip that is before making any statements.