VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm settled on the CDT/CT series Toshiba laptops for a DOS gaming laptop, but I just want to know which one is better. Personally I like the Portege because the screen's large, along with the laptop itself. I like bulkier laptops.

Which one is the best Toshiba laptop?

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 1 of 11, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Portege is actually the most portable series (apart from Libretto).

Here’s some great info: Best laptop for DOS/Win9x gaming?

Reply 2 of 11, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything that has a TFT panel without quirks is what you want - Portege and Satellite Pro were similarly priced, but I'd go a Satellite Pro for more rugged case design and expansion options.

Also, check out the Libretto if you want something small you can just keep on any desk and plug a monitor into - the Pentium MMX equipped 70CT is a great choice, the LCD is also good for all DOS games.

JB

Reply 3 of 11, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Byrd wrote:

Anything that has a TFT panel without quirks is what you want - Portege and Satellite Pro were similarly priced, but I'd go a Satellite Pro for more rugged case design and expansion options.

Also, check out the Libretto if you want something small you can just keep on any desk and plug a monitor into - the Pentium MMX equipped 70CT is a great choice, the LCD is also good for all DOS games.

JB

Idk about the Libretto, they're pretty small and pretty expensive, but if I found one for under $100 I'd consider it.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:

Reply 4 of 11, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Libretto series is ultra portable but also the demand is high for these machines, ergo the price is way too high.

The Satellite, Tecra and Satellte Pro Series I can vouch for, having restored and refurbished a ton of these over the last years I can say that most of these machines have specs suitable for Win9x and DOS gaming.

Most of the laptops of these series come equipped with CT6xxxx video chipsets for graphics which are very backwards compatible with 2D DOS games, and ES6xx/16xx soundchips which are known for excellent SB emulation, other come with Yamaha OPL3.

So long as you get a model with working TFT, you should be all set.

I kept a 200CDS and a 470CDT, which are both impeccable for older gaming.

Reply 5 of 11, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

The Libretto series is ultra portable but also the demand is high for these machines, ergo the price is way too high.

Really? They pop up for $80 - 150 on eBay from time to time and I'd say more are looking for a bigger Toshiba if they want to play DOS games. An underrated little unit, I even think the keyboard is excellent (and I've large hands that struggle to type on an iPhone keyboard). A lot of the 100/110CTs have issues with lines on the screen however - a panel fault, not cable related. The 50/60/70CTs seem a bit more rugged.

Reply 6 of 11, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Byrd wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Really? They pop up for $80 - 150 on eBay from time to time...

Yep, as I said, way too overpriced. Other more capable Toshiba's like Satellite Pros or Tecras go for 20 bucks.

Reply 7 of 11, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Byrd wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Yep, as I said, way too overpriced. Other more capable Toshiba's like Satellite Pros or Tecras go for 20 bucks.

I suppose one can get lucky, if one is patient. Generally speaking, prices are somewhat inflated across the board, and Librettos are the most sought after models.

Apart from the Satellite 400 CDT, the Tecra 720CDT seems to be a good choice. Or any other model with a TFT screen and the CT65550 graphics chip, for that matter, because it allows full-screen scaling from 320*200 resolution.

Toshiba Tecra 720CDT = Great DOS Gaming Laptop

My favorite feature regarding Satellites/Tecras is the rotary volume control... someone remind me how FN keys are superior again!? My 400CDT has a really nice mono speaker as well, that thing is loud AND clear.

Reply 8 of 11, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:
Byrd wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Where can I find 'em for $20?

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:

Reply 10 of 11, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

I got a Satellite Pro 460CDT for $40...

Where?

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:

Reply 11 of 11, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dickkickem wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

I got a Satellite Pro 460CDT for $40...

Where?

eBay, believe it or not. I got lucky on a "not working" auction when it really just had no working OS.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.