VOGONS

First post, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Thought I'd show off this build I've just finished stability testing.
I am very happy with it, and want to keep it. Will probably do so unless a generous enough buyer comes along.

Base: IBM PS/2 Model 30-286
From 31 years ago: 1987. My model was produced in 1989 though.

InUnlYV.jpg jVjMrqG.jpg

Stock specs:
Intel 286 10MHz
0.5MB RAM (mine was maxed out with 4MB on the board when I got it)
30MB 3.5" Hard Drive (WDL-330P) (proprietary edge connector; unknown interface onboard)
1.44MB Floppy (proprietary header connector combining data and power)
Onboard 256KB VGA Graphics (this along with PS/2 ports is handyyyyy)
1 x 25-pin serial and 1 x parallel
3 x 16-bit ISA slots
PC-DOS Version ?.?

It came in pretty awesome condition. The power supply has zero dust which is weeeeird.
I love how compact this thing is for what it can hold!

First I repaired the 1.44MB proprietary floppy drive, as it had the common two leaking 10uF SMD electrolytic caps. Replaced those and worked perfect since.
Then I modified the DS1287 RTC chip to have a CR2032 holder on the top, as it was long dead.

I sourced a pile of 1MB Parity 9-chip 30-pin SIMMs, and a pair of 256KB 3-chip ones.
I then spent probably over 6 hours tediously modifying them to be PS/2 Compatible:
In case you don't know, IBM made the PS/2's that took 30-pin SIMMs, need special "IBM PS/2" versions. These were just regular SIMMs with a different pinout, and some unused pins used to identify the size.
So that was hours of fun with 0.25mm magnet wire and a magnifying glass.
You can find more details about the modifications here: Success! Convert regular SIMMs into IBM PS/2 proprietary SIMMs
I made sure to only buy SIMMs where I can see all the traces and vias I need on the rear of the modules. This avoids doubling the tediousness by having to solder to the closely-packed chip legs on the front.

Upgraded specs:
Intel 287 FPU (toasty NOS ceramic version) because why not 😁
IBM Multifunction Adapter for Model 30-286:
> NOS, unopened box! It's lengthy and gorgeous~
> 1 x extra parallel port
> 1 x extra serial port (16450)
> 12 x 30-pin SIMM slots for up to 12MB Extended Memory (and tops base up to 640KB)
> > So total RAM became 12.5MB, as this expansion board requires "2 x 256KB only" on the motherboard.
> > Will sell the original 4 x 1MB genuine PS/2 SIMMs, as I'm using 100% counterfeit ones now 😊
> > This takes a good couple minutes to do IBM's weirdly slow POST memory test with all 12.5MB to test. Luckily I turn off HIMEM's own test.
Accton EN1661 Ethernet Card:
> XT-IDE Universal BIOS (AT build, set for 16-bit IDE Interface at 170h/15) in boot ROM socket.
> > The config utility needs a 386, so this was configured in another machine, as the settings are saved in EEPROM.
> > Packet driver works perfectly, and this is my method for file transfer from main PC (220KB/s), and internet connection sharing 😁
ESS ES1688 Sound Card:
> Jumpered config. Mixer utility works perfectly. No IDE jumpers.
> Has IDE port that is hard wired to 170h / IRQ15.
> Amplified output that isn't noisy. Rear volume wheel.
> PC speaker input. Motherboard has buzzer removed and routed to here instead (with a 1K resistor, reducing volume as the mixer has no PC-speaker volume option).
> Sounds damn good. Does SoundBlaster better than an actual Soundblaster. Built in OPL3 emulation is impressive on this.
512MB CF Card:
> In an IDE-CF adapter cabled to the sound card's IDE port.
> > Stealing 5V from two wavetable header pins.
> > IDE activity LED relocated to front window where the old 30MB HDD LED was; looks original!
> > Huge speed increase from the old 30MB drive. 1.5MB/s, 0.8ms.
> > Mounted the adapter on the original HDD sled.
Front speakers:
> Made use of the vent for the old hard drive and mounted a pair of 2W LCD-monitor speakers.
> Connected the speakers to the Normally-Closed pins of the sound card's output jack, via a soldered/glued 3-pin header underneath the sound card.
> > This means I get all sound card sound, as well as PC speaker, through decent front speakers, until I plug in external speakers, which will mute the front ones.
MS-DOS 6.22:
> mTCP
> Windows 3.1
> Norton Commander
> Assortment of games that run on this (Duke Nukem, Commander Keens, Jetpack, Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Wolfenstein 3D if run in a small box)

Enjoy the pics!

FULL SIZE IMAGES HERE: https://imgur.com/a/I0zAs

y5ehoN9.jpg UbnlnsM.jpg

gwRFa40.jpg 4WGIyxY.jpg

QcbCi1I.jpg APoOeDI.jpg

tScbtsh.jpg VdT7J85.jpg

kwnOHDE.jpg Ih6kbkR.jpg

UovwqmF.jpg 7blueuG.jpg

Reply 1 of 52, by pleonard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great work! The next level would be to buy an IBM PS/2 Speech Adapter, 3D-print the (never-shipped) internal mounting bracket for the front panel of a Model 30, and re-wire it to use the 'official' speaker. 😀

Reply 2 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

904.gif

Sweet build! I love everything IBM!

So total RAM became 12.5MB, as this expansion board requires "2 x 256KB only" on the motherboard.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression it can fill the 4mb-16mb range. Also are those 12 simms "normal"?

Third, what's with that mod on the left VLSI chip in the 8th image

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
http://replygif.net/i/904.gif […]
Show full quote

904.gif

Sweet build! I love everything IBM!

So total RAM became 12.5MB, as this expansion board requires "2 x 256KB only" on the motherboard.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression it can fill the 4mb-16mb range. Also are those 12 simms "normal"?

Third, what's with that mod on the left VLSI chip in the 8th image

Yes I'm sure.
I don't know why this is required.
It's stated in the manual and I tested it too.
The DIP siwtches select enable/disable serial/parallel ports, and the starting range of the memory (and whether you want to use some to top up base from 512KB to 640KB).
Starting address is any 0.5MB increment starting at 1MB.

The manual specifically states, to get a maximum of 15.5MB, you need two of these boards, with the second one filled with 256KB SIMMs to make 3MB.

=====

And no, this board is designed for this one system only, and only takes the PS/2 Type SIMMs, hence having to modify 12 of them.

=====

That mod to the VLSI chip is an undo to a previous mod to disable RAM waitstate. Was never stable, depsite the huge performance jump.
Also wasn't stable at 12MHz, even with a 16MHz rated 286, and the chipset being marked as 12MHz rated.

Reply 4 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well there are typically 2 reasons; "because fuck you thats why" and "some non-technical manager at IBM thought it was a 'good idea'. "

I have one, and 12x 512k simms for it. I only asked because your simms did not appear to be special.

that 0 WS mod sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up.

Any chance you want to mod like 16 more simms? I can't do it properly and you already have experience...

Reply 5 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P.S.

I was under the impression the 3-chip ram isn't recommended for this mod for the model 30. maybe that was the real cause of the instability?

Reply 6 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

P.S.

I was under the impression the 3-chip ram isn't recommended for this mod for the model 30. maybe that was the real cause of the instability?

The 3-chip RAM is fine for 256KB modules.
Not for 1MB ones; the chipset doesn't support this high density.
Now, one thing I'm not sure on is whether the RAM board supports 3-chip 1MB; it does have its own lil memory controller in that neat metal chip...

Reply 7 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:
Well there are typically 2 reasons; "because fuck you thats why" and "some non-technical manager at IBM thought it was a 'good […]
Show full quote

Well there are typically 2 reasons; "because fuck you thats why" and "some non-technical manager at IBM thought it was a 'good idea'. "

I have one, and 12x 512k simms for it. I only asked because your simms did not appear to be special.

that 0 WS mod sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up.

Any chance you want to mod like 16 more simms? I can't do it properly and you already have experience...

Interesting. The manual says only 256KB and 1MB work in the expansion board.

The 0WS is unstable. I think it will be for everyone. Tried with many different RAMs including the chipset recommended 80ns.

I can make you 16. I need to source the right ones again.
Would be about $20 a pop if you bought that many. More if you wanted less.

I do have a bunch of leftover ones from various brands I could sell you for half price. They may or may not be stable together. I did not scientifically test. It may be due to some being dodgy, some being simply not compatible, or the board not liking you mixing different speeds and brands.

It now seems completely stable with 12 x identical SIEMENS 60ns modules.

Reply 8 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing you didn't mention is that you replaced the CPU with a Harris 16MHz 286. Were you trying to do some overclocking?

Also, where are you guys getting those 12MB IBM RAM cards?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

One thing you didn't mention is that you replaced the CPU with a Harris 16MHz 286. Were you trying to do some overclocking?

Also, where are you guys getting those 12MB IBM RAM cards?

Yea that was for testing 12MHz, which wasn't stable enough.
I left it in there because it runs wayyyy cooler than the original Intel 80286 10MHz.

It's not a 12MB IBM RAM card, it's an empty RAM card, that is only for the PS/2 Model 30-286. I swear the seller on eBay had two, but looks like they're gone.
It only becomes a 12MB card when you can find 12 x 1MB PS/2 SIMMs. These are damn near unobtanium. I modified regular SIMMs.

Reply 10 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it also works on the IBM AT. IIRC. I've had mine for a few years. got it cheap because some of the slots had broken retention clips.

one of the 100's of little projects i have.

Reply 11 of 52, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really hate those angled SIMM slots with the crappy plastic retention clips. They always break. Are there any replacements with metal clips out there?

If you see anymore of those IBM memory boards, please let me know.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I really hate those angled SIMM slots with the crappy plastic retention clips. They always break. Are there any replacements with metal clips out there?

If you see anymore of those IBM memory boards, please let me know.

Hey, the same guy I got my Model 30-286 RAM board off has one left: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253592282420

Just to clarify again:
> This is for the Model 30-286 only. Not sure if it works with anything else.
> This only works with 2 x 256KB modules in slot 0 and 1 on the motherboard. No other motherboard memory combinations will work with the card.
> This takes 256KB or 1MB modules. You can install any number of pairs, but they must all be the same size.
> This needs PS/2 Type SIMMs, if that wasn't clear enough. Regular unmodified 30-pin parity SIMMs won't work.
> Be sure to set the jumper so that the onboard parallel and serial port are secondary ones.
> I encountered instability when using various brands and speeds (60ns, 70ns, 80ns) of modified 1MB SIMMs. It is not confirmed this was the issue, as I changed some other things between then and fixing it. But one of the things I changed was making every SIMM on the memory board the same modified 60ns SIEMENS ones.

Hope this helps!

Reply 13 of 52, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

qtaf
whats the plan here? are You gonna look for 20+mhz harris to have wolfenstein run well?
would You post a bench of Your memory and ethernet speeds?
how much of that mem do You even get to use and what with?
thought of upgrading vga?

Reply 14 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:
qtaf whats the plan here? are You gonna look for 20+mhz harris to have wolfenstein run well? would You post a bench of Your memo […]
Show full quote

qtaf
whats the plan here? are You gonna look for 20+mhz harris to have wolfenstein run well?
would You post a bench of Your memory and ethernet speeds?
how much of that mem do You even get to use and what with?
thought of upgrading vga?

Won't upgrade VGA coz that would use an ISA slot.

Ethernet speed is 220KB/s.

Memory speed is roughly 4MB/s in various benchmarks.
Memory speed is same on motherboard or on 16-bit ISA RAM card.

You can't even get to 12MHz in this system due to board instabilities, not CPU instability, so stock 10MHz is what it's at.
The Harris 16MHz chip that's installed runs much much cooler at 10MHz than the original Intel 10MHz chip.

Reply 15 of 52, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nztdm wrote:

Hey, the same guy I got my Model 30-286 RAM board off has one left: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253592282420

I'd like to point out, if I had the cash, I would buy both IMMEDIATELY.

Reply 18 of 52, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nztdm wrote:

thats a weird number - more than half of what Treasons 486 did over vlb 😮

nztdm wrote:

that' s unexpected - you would think isa just has to slow things down

Reply 19 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:
thats a weird number - more than half of what Treasons 486 did over vlb o.O […]
Show full quote
nztdm wrote:

thats a weird number - more than half of what Treasons 486 did over vlb 😮

nztdm wrote:

that' s unexpected - you would think isa just has to slow things down

I suppose with a 286 system things are slow enough already, that the roughly 8MB/s of ISA isn't an issue.

And for Ethernet speed, these were tests for transferring files from my main PC using mTCP's FTP, and the Accton EN1661 Ethernet card with packet driver. It was pretty solid stuck on 220KB/s. The storage device is a CF card through the sound card's IDE interface and gets 1.2MB/s.