VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 282 of 890, by VictorP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Peixoto

I am trying to make Dark Earth work but I'm having a problem.

I did all the procedures listed in Help.exe and was able to make the game run. The initial screen to adjust brightness and contrast appears, also the Microprose logo and then the game presentation movie. I was very happy thinking that the game was going to start, but after the movie I got the message "LS_ERROR: 8 Bmap Error : Bitmove256 (DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS)" and the game closed.

I read in the readme.txt file that error 8 may be related to 256-color issues, so I tried to change some compatibility modes, but still could'nt make it work.

Do you know how that can be fixed?

Thanks a lot for the patches and for allowing everyone to play amazing old games. Cheers!

Reply 283 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VictorP wrote:
Hello Peixoto […]
Show full quote

Hello Peixoto

I am trying to make Dark Earth work but I'm having a problem.

I did all the procedures listed in Help.exe and was able to make the game run. The initial screen to adjust brightness and contrast appears, also the Microprose logo and then the game presentation movie. I was very happy thinking that the game was going to start, but after the movie I got the message "LS_ERROR: 8 Bmap Error : Bitmove256 (DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS)" and the game closed.

I read in the readme.txt file that error 8 may be related to 256-color issues, so I tried to change some compatibility modes, but still could'nt make it work.

Do you know how that can be fixed?

Thanks a lot for the patches and for allowing everyone to play amazing old games. Cheers!

Post the contents of your error.log file, please

Reply 284 of 890, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found funny bug - in Wreck of the Maria Doria level inventory and menus models are upside down 😵 Also checked in plain Steam version without your patch - all is fine.

tr22.jpg
Filename
tr22.jpg
File size
863.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 285 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KainXVIII wrote:

I found funny bug - in Wreck of the Maria Doria level inventory and menus models are upside down 😵 Also checked in plain Steam version without your patch - all is fine.

tr22.jpg

It is not a bug. It is a feature

Reply 287 of 890, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:

tr22.jpg

It is not a bug. It is a feature

Ha, maybe!

Reply 288 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Papyrcat wrote:

Can you select individual features of a patch? I'd like to use the post-process blur remover without also using the fog "fix" (don't need it).

Does it creates any problems ?

Anyway, open SOT.ahk with a text editor and delete the lines:

if fileexist("Hardware.ini")
{
f=Hardware.ini
IniWrite, 1, %f%, CAPS, ForceVSFog
IniWrite, 0, %f%, CAPS, InvertFogRange
IniWrite, 0, %f%, CAPS, ZEnableFix
}

Reply 291 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Heart Of Darkness is using two upscalings at the same time resulting in some lines being way thicker than others.

Pardon me, but i don't get what you're saying

My patch uses two "upscalings" at the same time ? No it doesn't

Heart Of Darkness does it ?

you see some lines thicker than others only when you use my patch ?

Where does it happens ?

Last edited by Peixoto on 2018-05-14, 01:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 293 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upload a few improvements on onimusha.

The shadow fix now won't cause any glitches and it is possible to set the d-pad and left stick to emulate the keyboard's arrow keys for better movement

Reply 294 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peixoto wrote:

You provide two options for the game:
[v] Enable upscaling
[v] Remove black frame
both resulting in it's own independent upscaling.
Upscaling the upscaling doesn't look good 😉

Reply 295 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:

The shadow fix now won't cause any glitches and it is possible to set the d-pad and left stick to emulate the keyboard's arrow keys for better movement

Great job on movement fix, works great now!

However, with the new patch, Samanosuke, his lady friend, and certain enemy type are semi-transparent. On my brother's PC, Samanosuke is practically invisible.

Perhaps it's related to the shadow fix you mentioned? I never noticed any shadow related glitches with your patches. Just thinking out loud. Anyway keep up the good work friend! 😀

Reply 296 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
curseofnight wrote:
Great job on movement fix, works great now! […]
Show full quote
Peixoto wrote:

Great job on movement fix, works great now!

However, with the new patch, Samanosuke, his lady friend, and certain enemy type are semi-transparent. On my brother's PC, Samanosuke is practically invisible.

Perhaps it's related to the shadow fix you mentioned? I never noticed any shadow related glitches with your patches. Just thinking out loud. Anyway keep up the good work friend! 😀

Yes. Its the shadow fix. can you upload me some saves? But probably for some reason, on your system, the patch is failing to create a pixel shader it needs

OK, i fixed the shadow fix. Tell me if it works. I haven't done much in terms o improving performance. how is it working for you?

BTW. The old fix caused missing transparency on some foliage (only one screen) and sometimes shadows would blink when you hit enemies with the lightning magic

NOTE: if any one have, i would really like some onimusha saves, especially when you fight those Teleporting enemies

Last edited by Peixoto on 2018-05-14, 18:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 297 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:
You provide two options for the game: [v] Enable upscaling [v] Remove black frame both resulting in it's own independent upscali […]
Show full quote
Peixoto wrote:

You provide two options for the game:
[v] Enable upscaling
[v] Remove black frame
both resulting in it's own independent upscaling.
Upscaling the upscaling doesn't look good 😉

Nope. The emulated front buffer is always only upscaled once. The effect you describe must be due to another thing.
Where does it happens?

Reply 299 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:
Notice the last two vertical lines https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?mode=view&id=47402 […]
Show full quote

Notice the last two vertical lines
file.php?mode=view&id=47402

Zooming in on your image, i could really see that some lines would repeat 3 times and others 4 times, that is not what one would expected when upscaling from 384 to 576, but then running the game "vanilla", i can see that every vertical line already repeats 2 times: the game's vertical resolution is actually 192 upscaled to 384. Here are the two scalings you refer to. Anyway, I'll see what happens if i downscale the game 1st before upscaling it, but i doubt there will be any visible difference

On a second thought: 576/192 = 3.0, so yes, downscaling 1st will improve quality (if you have a 720p monitor)