VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have a IBM NetVista that runs in Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, and Warcraft 2 has trouble to run in it. It throws DOS/4GW error. Is it because of the processor speed? I like to know what steps should I take in order for Warcraft 2 to run? Downgrade the processor?

https://www.cnet.com/products/ibm-netvista-m4 … e-series/specs/

Reply 1 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Warcraft 2 is a DOS game, I believe.

What is your host operating system, Muz?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replace DOS4GW stub with a DOS/32 header, and usually those errors will go away. But i only use it with pure dos.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 7 of 13, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Replace DOS4GW stub with a DOS/32 header, and usually those errors will go away. But i only use it with pure dos.

DOS/32 header? What is that?

Reply 8 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Download a DOS/32 extender pack.

http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html

Then read the the redme. And just use the tools to replace the executable header.

It is pretty easy and straightfoward.

It solves many problems, with games that have old DOS4GW extender, and do not like big RAM and fast CPU.

For example original DOS DOOM 1.9 executable benefits form it, it even makes the game loading faster.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 9 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heads up that in the dos version of Warcraft 2 a fast CPU the game will move around the map wayyy to fast.
Battlenet doesn't have this problem or you can use the mini map to move round the screen.

So its not end of the world but another good reason to battlenet instead.

Reply 10 of 13, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

The downside is that in DOS version you have real MIDI music which you can play with whatever fancy synth you may happen to have, while the Windows version has pre-rendered .WAV files of "well... okay" quality.

Reply 11 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

The downside is that in DOS version you have real MIDI music which you can play with whatever fancy synth you may happen to have, while the Windows version has pre-rendered .WAV files of "well... okay" quality.

The original DOS version had CD audio IIRC, aren't those tracks what the Windows version uses? Or did they render out the MIDIs instead for some reason?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
Azarien wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

The original DOS version had CD audio IIRC, aren't those tracks what the Windows version uses? Or did they render out the MIDIs instead for some reason?

Dos version does indeed have CD audio, it would drop back to midi if the CD was missing (say running a network game)
I'm surprised Battlenet isn't midi though!? I thought it would be midi simply to keep installation size down. I'm going to have to check when I get a chance.

Reply 13 of 13, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I don't have DOS version of War2 at hand, so I cannot confirm if Battle.net Edition sounds the same or not.
But even if that's the case, the wavs are only 22050 Hz, so I'd expect the CD-Audio tracks to be of better quality.

(the audio files are embedded in the install.exe file, and can be extracted using tools for Starcraft)