VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Notice that in above picture the last (right most) vertical line is repeated only 2 times while the line before is done 4 times, while other lines are 3 times.
I used this resolution as the problem is visible here very well. The game uses 256x192. The above picture uses 768x576 (3*256x3*192). The picture is not cropped. It is taken by pressing PrtScn.

Reply 301 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game use 256x192 pictures displayed in 2x resolution (512x384) displayed on a 640x480 with black bars surrounding it.
I think your patch first scales 512x384 to 640x480 to get rid of black bars. Than I think it scales up 640x480 to whatever resolution desktop is set to to get rid of blur.

Reply 302 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First conversion from 512x384 to 640x480 makes some lines 3 times and leaves other 2 times.
Next conversion from 640x480 to 768x576 makes some 3x lines into 4x, makes some 2x into 3x, and leaves some 2x as 2x.
Same problem happens with whatever final resolution you use.

Reply 304 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

The solution to the problem is to make only one conversion from 512x384 to the final one.

You are a piece of work. I told you already it doesn't and you assume you know more then i do about something i wrote. Forget about this subject please, i already did

Reply 305 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peixoto wrote:

if you have a 720p monitor

Actually it is very visible even with higher resolutions:
1536x1152 (6*256x6*192)
Last vertical line is 4 pixels thick, while the previous one is 6 pixels thick.
Also notice thick white soles of main character's shoes (7 pixels thick). Just 1 pixel difference and how visible.

Attachments

Reply 306 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried the latest patch - it's the same result; some characters are slightly transparent. As far as performance; I think is the same as it was initially - 800x600 runs fine. 1024x720 to 1360x768 is a bit laggy at times but playable. Didn't try anything higher, but I assume I'd have to overclock to play in 1080 comfortably.

Here's my Onimusha saves and error.log(I'm not that far in the game though... 1st save is just after entering the castle, I think. 2nd save is just before water puzzle trap near the hallway with the gates/levers and holy armor chest...)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9tlb593cspk3ik … AndError.log.7z

You're correct about the shaders not activating properly for me, it says that at the bottom of the error.log.

Also, I noticed something about the new marcos. It's not a huge deal but when I'm holding the stick forward and running, if I do a 180 turn I stop moving. This also happens if I attack. If I'm holding the stick forward as I start an attack, once the animation is finished I have the press the stick forward again to keep moving. I noticed that this doesn't happen if I disable Xinput support. Actually, maybe it's a problem with the Xinput. My brother mentioned it a few days ago but I've been using that dinput8.dll fix I mentioned a few pages back so perhaps that's why I'm only noticing it now(I removed that dll to test your lastest changes...)

Edit: Added some info...

Reply 307 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
curseofnight wrote:
Tried the latest patch - it's the same result; some characters are slightly transparent. As far as performance; I think is the s […]
Show full quote

Tried the latest patch - it's the same result; some characters are slightly transparent. As far as performance; I think is the same as it was initially - 800x600 runs fine. 1024x720 to 1360x768 is a bit laggy at times but playable. Didn't try anything higher, but I assume I'd have to overclock to play in 1080 comfortably.

Here's my Onimusha saves and error.log(I'm not that far in the game though... 1st save is just after entering the castle, I think. 2nd save is just before water puzzle trap near the hallway with the gates/levers and holy armor chest...)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/9tlb593cspk3ik … AndError.log.7z

You're correct about the shaders not activating properly for me, it says that at the bottom of the error.log.

Also, I noticed something about the new marcos. It's not a huge deal but when I'm holding the stick forward and running, if I do a 180 turn I stop moving. This also happens if I attack. If I'm holding the stick forward as I start an attack, once the animation is finished I have the press the stick forward again to keep moving. I noticed that this doesn't happen if I disable Xinput support. Actually, maybe it's a problem with the Xinput. My brother mentioned it a few days ago but I've been using that dinput8.dll fix I mentioned a few pages back so perhaps that's why I'm only noticing it now(I removed that dll to test your lastest changes...)

Edit: Added some info...

OK, i reproduced and fixed the transparent models bug, but moronically deleted my own save, so i can't test if the new fix breaks those stealth enemies. Other bugs are still possible

The latest script also had broken fmvs, but it is fixed now

The performance is fixable, but i can't do it just now.

I Haven't look into the 180 turn bug yet

Reply 308 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sweet! Just tried it on both mine and my big bro's PCs, transparency is definitely fixed. Haven't tested extensively but looks good so far - awesome job man! 😁

Good to hear performance is fixable but I personally consider it, and the 180 turn bug, minor issues.

Reply 309 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably a silly question but how do I enable widescreen in Resi 1? I can only get 4:3.

I don't actually care to play in widescreen, it's just that the pixelated backgrounds are ugly so I'm dumping/replacing them but the little box on the upperleft that shows the current texture is blocked out by the black bars on the side....

It's not a huge deal it's just tedious deleteing 100+ duplicate textures per room. Especially when I delete the wrong tex by accident and have to do the whole room over again just to get that one(I have a knack doing that, haha).

Reply 310 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. I just realised that when you check an item in your inventory I can see the selected textures. This should speed things up, 😀

I really love your work man. Adding tex dump/replacement was genius.

Edit: Ah ha! It works in or out of the inventory screen. Simply enabling super resolution makes it function correctly! I'm a little slow, but I always get there in the end. :p

Reply 311 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
curseofnight wrote:

Nevermind. I just realised that when you check an item in your inventory I can see the selected textures. This should speed things up, 😀

I really love your work man. Adding tex dump/replacement was genius.

Edit: Ah ha! It works in or out of the inventory screen. Simply enabling super resolution makes it function correctly! I'm a little slow, but I always get there in the end. :p

Nice, share those textures when you're finished

Reply 312 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't mind sharing but just to be clear, I'm simply resizing the dumps - not making true hi-def replacements from scratch.

It does look much better than the original, similar to say ePSXe or PCSX-R with screen smoothing, and eliminates pixelation, which is all I want.

I'm also working on a re-skin of Samanosuke based on Oni 3 texs dumped via texmod.

Reply 313 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just realized the file sizes I'm dealing with here after I noticed several gigs of free space was mysteriously gone. My replacement textures for JUST the main hall are over 791 mbs!

This thing could easily be 200-300 gigs before I'm done! Probably more! 😮

I'm still gonna finish this project for myself but it's simply going to be impossible for me to upload the finished product with my connection. Even if I could - who'd download a 300 gig file y'know?

Reply 314 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suppose I could at least upload my dumped textures so others don't have to do it themselves - is that what you meant? Then all someone would have to do is resize, sharpen, etc., then drop'em in the replacement folder.

Reply 315 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
curseofnight wrote:

I suppose I could at least upload my dumped textures so others don't have to do it themselves - is that what you meant? Then all someone would have to do is resize, sharpen, etc., then drop'em in the replacement folder.

I'll tell you what. I'm gonna implement support for DirectX compressed formats (DXT1-5). Supposing your replacements are X8R8G8B8, you can reduce their size 4 times with barely noticeable quality loss. I will also write a small tool to convert the textures you already created with a single click

New textures for onimusha would be awesome, because the regular ones have SO MUCH color banding. Now that i simplified the script i'm definitely gonna add a dither shader, but dither adds some noise, so its really trading one artifact for another. Onisusha must have been a really hurried port: those textures have that much color banding because they used A4R4G4B4 for textures with no transparency, if they had saved those 4 bits for color, that alone would reduce banding a lot

Reply 316 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was actually about to ask about X8R8G8B8 - I can't find a program to convert/export to that format. I did find some online converters but that just won't do(because of my hard data limit + file size). I thought DDSViewer did but apparently it only opens that format. It doesn't even save in dds formats.... Btw I'm using GIMP with the dds plugin atm, but I don't think it exports to that format either. If does, I must've overlooked it.

It sounds like you're about to commit to a lot of coding to add that feature but the truth is I've never done anything like this before and I'm absolutely clueless about all these different pixel formats. For instance, the some sum total of my knowledge about the X8R8G8B8 format I just read in your post! Fact is, I'd be extremely embarrassed if you implemented a new feature and made that converter just for me and I couldn't figure it out. 🙁

Edit: I'm not to saying I'm not interested or can't learn new things, I just got a little nervous reading that I guess. Sorry.

Reply 317 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aah! One click? I thought you talking about something complicated. Hehe. I think skipped a line or three when I read that before. I mean't what said about being.clueless about this different pixel format stuff though.

Hmm... found an xrgb8 plugin for photoshop.
XRGB8 = X8R8G8B8 right?

Sadly I don't have photoshop. 🙁

Just downloaded the DDS utilities from nvidia which is supposed to have a cmd line tool to convert tga to dds(xrgb8). I hope it comes with instructions....

Reply 318 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
curseofnight wrote:
Aah! One click? I thought you talking about something complicated. Hehe. I think skipped a line or three when I read that before […]
Show full quote

Aah! One click? I thought you talking about something complicated. Hehe. I think skipped a line or three when I read that before. I mean't what said about being.clueless about this different pixel format stuff though.

XRGB8 = X8R8G8B8 right?

Just downloaded the DDS utilities from nvidia which is supposed to have a cmd line tool to convert tga to dds(xrgb8). I hope it comes with instructions....

I have here the last Version of DirectX (DirectX doesn't really exist anymore, Direct3D and the other APIs that were part if DirectX are now part of the windows sdk). It includes a tool for viewing DDS files. I was going to upload it for you, then i so that there is also a command line a tool to convert DDS files, so i will just have to write a small script to launch that tool and upload both for you (Don't tell MS about it)

Reply 319 of 890, by curseofnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
curseofnight wrote:
Aah! One click? I thought you talking about something complicated. Hehe. I think skipped a line or three when I read that before […]
Show full quote

XRGB8 = X8R8G8B8 right?

I have here the last Version of DirectX (DirectX doesn't really exist anymore, Direct3D and the other APIs that were part if DirectX are now part of the windows sdk). It includes a tool for viewing DDS files. I was going to upload it for you, then i so that there is also a command line a tool to convert DDS files, so i will just have to write a small script to launch that tool and upload both for you (Don't tell MS about it)

Ok kool. I'll check back in a couple days.