VOGONS

Reply 480 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SCVA 1.0.3 (and other of course) don't work for me in WinXP - no sounds at all. Neither trial nor cracked one.
Works fine now!

Last edited by MAN-biker on 2018-03-03, 14:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Games' collection 1983-2017. Nickname MAN-biker is registered!
Black Sect Remake (AGS) - Russian version
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos [CD] - Russian version
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans - Full walkthrough

Reply 481 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's strange since it is working for me not only on 1 PC running XP. Actually I have tried it on 3:
1. Phenom II Desktop with integrated Realtek audio (WinXP SP3).
2. HP NX6325 Turion X2 Notebook with integrated SoundMax audio (WinXP SP2)
3. Core 2 Desktop with integrated VIA HD audio (WinXP SP2)

To be clear: it's the 1.0.3.0 trial not just one dll from that trial version. You can download the trial from here:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/sc … a_win_trial.zip
It was installed and activated under Win7 but it was never installed (or tried to be installed) on any of the WinXP 's. Only the content of the folder is used.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 482 of 741, by Dioxaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You did reply me on the Youtube video. Thank you very much for the feedback. I managed to make it successfully work with one of my machines by following what you exactly advised here.

I first installed the 1.0.0.3 trial you pointed on a second Windows 7 machine. The activation worked flawlessly, even though I already activated once previously with a 1.0.0.6. I then copied the "Roland" installation folder from the "Program Files (x86)" folder into a second XP machine, which has never seen an SCVA before. And guess what? It worked. I'm still annoyed by the "Trial mode" pop-up windows but it works (I now only have to figure out a way for those pop-ups not to exit a fullscreen game on that machine, but that's another story).

Now I only have to wait 14 days to see if the time limit still triggers there too (on the first XP machine it's a dead end however, still getting the "expired" message, but that's because I already "tried" a few years ago).

My Amstrad Mega PC personal archive.

Reply 483 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

on the first XP machine it's a dead end however, still getting the "expired" message, but that's because I already "tried" a few years ago

Try to search for ...\Roland\Activator folders on your affected XP drive (there can be more besides the one in Program Files) and remove them...

Reply 484 of 741, by Dioxaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed, that did the job. Thank you very much again. I deleted every folder containing any possible activation files ("Activator" and "com.roland.Activator" folders notably) and now I'm no longer getting the "expired" message.

However, depending on the games, the "trial mode" message may trigger each time a music wants to be played which is a bit annoying but you can push simply space and the game will continue if you're lucky (if it doesn't throw you out of fullscreen depending on your video hardware/drivers combo).

I also tried moving some activation folders from the Windows 7 install out of curiosity but it doesn't seem to work for the moment (still "trial mode" messages). I'll make another attempt and edit this post if it ends up working (which I doubt, but who knows).

My Amstrad Mega PC personal archive.

Reply 485 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAN-biker wrote:

SCVA 1.0.3 (and other of course) don't work for me in WinXP - no sounds at all. Neither trial nor cracked one.

I have noticed that SCCore.dll from SC-VA 1.0.3 trial has an implicit dependency on msvcr100.dll. If this file is missing SC-VA does not show any errors but the synth remains silent. So on XP you should install
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … ls.aspx?id=5555

Reply 486 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Zoltán, works fine now!

Reply 487 of 741, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can we make this topic sticky? It is about perfect emulator of General MIDI/General Standard so equally important as Munt. Two most important sound emulators currently that are not built into any computer emulator. Well.. munt somehow is now, so this topic is even more important than munt one.

Actually this could go to "MIDI Emulation" section -> "General MIDI/General Standard emulation" as it is about emulation of old hardware on new machines, not about old real hardware.

It's even more important than SoftMPU as SoftMPU is about old hardware emulated on old machines

Reply 489 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little off topic:
https://youtu.be/by4xdMoBa_c

Lee Jackson’s GrabbagOriginalVer_GS1.mid with SC-88 Pro+ insertion effects on SC-VA. Earlier I had tried an XG enhanced version but some said it was not authentic… So now I tried to preserve most aspects of the original even the ones I do not really like (such as the chorus effects). On SC-VA it should be played in SC-88Pro or SC-8820 mode, in SC-55 mode it sounds especially bad.
Used SysEx messages:

F0 41 10 42 12 00 00 7F 00 01 F7 - SC-88 Reset (single module mode)
F0 41 10 42 12 40 42 22 01 5B F7 - Set part 2 EFX On (FeedBack Gt2)
F0 41 10 42 12 40 43 22 01 5A F7 - Set part 3 EFX On (DistortionGt)
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4A 22 01 53 F7 - Set part 11 EFX On (FeedBack Gt2)
F0 41 10 42 12 40 03 00 11 03 29 F7 - Set EFX Type to Overdrive 1/2
F0 41 10 42 12 40 03 16 6A 3D F7 - Set effect level to 106
F0 41 10 42 12 40 03 08 00 35 F7 - Set overdrive 2 type to 0
F0 41 10 42 12 40 03 18 28 7D F7- Set EFX send level to chorus to 40
F0 41 10 42 12 40 02 01 43 7A F7 – Set low frequency gain to +3db

Midi download:
http://falcosoft.hu/grabbag_sc88pro_falcomod.zip

Reply 492 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another little off-topic video about SC-88 32 channel Myth demo song on SC-VA:
https://youtu.be/IqbXzYb_O7g

Further info about the problems of playing SC-88 32 channel demo midi files:
Demo songs for Roland SC-88VL

Reply 493 of 741, by citrixscu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nagra wrote:
Falcosoft wrote:

Unfortunately I'm not a Mac user so I cannot help with OSX/Garageband setup.?

Thanks for your reply. Maybe somebody else can provide me with a step-by-step-manual?
Jo

Finally got this one (partially) working after taking a break and coming back to it a couple months later. I came across this post from 2011: How-to: OS X + soundfonts + DosBox - FluidSynth , which makes mention of AU Lab. While some of the instructions need to be modified slightly, the method works, and I've gotten around the initial struggle of Garageband not "listening" to MIDI channels other than 1. Granted this is likely my inexperience with Garageband, loading the SC VA AU/VST in AU Lab worked out for me. The minor issue experienced was the plugin not allowing any UI input (mouse clicks, etc.) so I was able to get around that by loading SC VA in Garageband and saving a preset. The preset can then be loaded in AU Lab. The remaining issue I see is SC VA loaded in AU Lab does not seem to display any confirmation of the MIDI tracks actually playing. As seen in the attached image, the instruments change but there is no activity on the monitor. Not the worst thing, but it would be great if everything worked as desired.

Using SOUND Canvas VA 1.11(s) [Roland cloud version]
Latest Mac OS

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    409.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AU Lab SC VA
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 494 of 741, by Solanacean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to use a DAW with the plugin to render MIDI to audio. I've read Falcosoft's post in which he explains why 32Khz frequency should be opted for if possible and 48Khz/96Khz if not, but he was talking specifically about his player and the Munt plugin, so I'd like to confirm whether the same holds true for SCVA.

Also, what about bit depth? Should I record at 24-bit or 16-bit would be enough?

Reply 495 of 741, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No one can tell exactly since contrary to Munt SC-VA is not open source, so its internal emulation engine is not well known in this regard. The original SC-88/88Pro/8820 hardware's resolution is 32kHz so maybe the emulation preserved this aspect, too. Anyway in case of Munt VSTi I mainly talked about SAVIHost and FSMP just because they are the most used VST hosts with Munt VSTi, but the issues I mentioned are not host specific.
I don't think 24 bit recording is necessary but it can not hurt either and has its benefits if you intend further mixing/processing .

Reply 496 of 741, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Lost Vikings sounds great, also Doom 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and the 7th Guest! Using DOSBox and ScummVM.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 497 of 741, by MAN-biker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JSO wrote:

The Lost Vikings sounds great, also Doom 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max and the 7th Guest! Using DOSBox and ScummVM.

The Lost Vikings sounds better with MT-32 in setup and MUNT as synth.

Reply 498 of 741, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm testing both of the roland emulators, but I think using General Midi and Sound Canvas VA sounds also good.

A good example also is Prince of Persia v1.3

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 499 of 741, by slayerheart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Toto Africa and Rosanna MIDIs for SC-55 sounds great with this VSTi
But sometimes, the instruments keeps on getting somewhat "water splash" effects when I play a note or a MIDI song and I have to restart the MIDI Player to get rid of the effect 😒