VOGONS

First post, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im am considering "downgrading" my Core2Quad machine to cover 2000 > 2009 games along with maybe sticking to 32 bit based OS (with a reduction of RAM to 4GB).

What would everyone recommend for this in terms of OS, i have keys/licences of most things so choice is not a problem.

I was thinking Windows XP SP3 but is this too old or am i loosing out?...one advantage however is i could use my Soundblaster Live! Value in this if i did go this way.

Final spec would be:-
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-G41M LGA775
CPU: C2Q Q8400 @ 2.66ghz
Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid 120 AIO
Ram: Corsair DDR-3 1333 2x 2GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX650 1gb
Sound: Soundblaster Live! Value / Onboard AC97
Drives: 1Tb WD Black HDD

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 1 of 6, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see any problems with your plan to run XP. There were some very rare pc games released < 2009 that require Vista, mostly because MS was trying to encourage Vista adoption not because they truely used DX10. Games like Shadowrun or Halo2 (PC).

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also vote XP. My c2q runs xp 32 bit with a 4:3 monitor. I much prefer that over the hassles on a modern pc and black bars.

You may as well just use your modern pc for anything Vista and beyond imho. Could just be that I'm getting older and Vista still seems like it just came out though, but I have no nostalgia for that era (short of a few good games) and a new pc rarely has issue with running them.

The only drawback to XP 32bit today is browsing.. but a simple solution is to just dual boot with any Linux distro you want and browse from there. I have 8 gigs in mine available to linux, it's pretty useful even today.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 6, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions 😁

Going to try the Xeon/LGA771 route on this build first as i have just secured a X5460 which i know others have had success running on this board...hopefully this can keep this machine useful as a main machine for a bit longer.

I have a Optiplex 330 which i have just brought back to life which is probably a better fit for an XP build, got a E6420 in this at the moment - but i know the Q8400 also works in this, so i may well dump that in here 🤣 Only shame is that its a SFF build so the Live! wont fit...

or i could have another crack at a SKT370 build... too many options!

e0zer5-2.png