VOGONS

First post, by chaozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600) ISA card for my retro gaming machine. My machine is a 1Ghz PC with 256MB RAM, a Voodoo 3 16MB and is running Windows 98. For DOS games, I exit to DOS.
The CT1600 is running on port 220, irq 7 and dma 1.

I found the Sound Blaster Pro 2 installation disks on http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =59&menustate=0 and this setup the card perfectly for DOS. But it does not come with Windows 9x drivers. It did try to install Win3.11 drivers, to no avail of course.

I tried installing the default Sound Blaster Pro driver from Windows 98 via Device manager, but it warns me it is not the correct driver for the hardware. After installation the device manager shows my SBPRO2 with a yellow exclamation mark and I have no working sound.

For the life of me, I can't find working drivers for Windows 9x. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or is this card not compatible with Windows 9x?

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are no official Windows 9x drivers from Creative Labs for the Sound Blaster Pro 2.
You must use the standard Windows 9x drivers.
You might have a resource conflict. Try and manually configure your resources under Device Manager.
Alternatively, go the Add New Hardware route and let Windows try and "detect" your card.

Edit: Based on your hardware specs, your PC is probably too fast for the card to function properly. The Sound Blaster Pro is ideally suited for a 386 or 486 based PC.

Reply 2 of 5, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9x always shows the Ct1600 with the exclamation mark for me on my pentium 3 machine, but the card works for dos games, just set it properly in your autoexec.bat based on your jumpers (and you may need to disable your printer port, check for conflicts).

My suggestion is to add a second sound card that windows does handle and run the line out of the sb pro to the line in of the other card. My system is set up that way (actually using 3 cards)..

I suggest an SB32 or better, then you can have the full gamut of sound capabilities while retaining true OPL3 for the older games.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 5, by chaozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

9x always shows the Ct1600 with the exclamation mark for me on my pentium 3 machine, but the card works for dos games, just set it properly in your autoexec.bat based on your jumpers (and you may need to disable your printer port, check for conflicts).

My suggestion is to add a second sound card that windows does handle and run the line out of the sb pro to the line in of the other card. My system is set up that way (actually using 3 cards)..

I suggest an SB32 or better, then you can have the full gamut of sound capabilities while retaining true OPL3 for the older games.

That is a great idea. I will reinsert the SB Live! I had in there and loop my SBPRO2 via line in. Briljant!

Reply 4 of 5, by chaozz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to update this topic with my findings.

I reinstalled Windows 98 as I had been messing around with a load of different drivers, all not working.

After the reinstallation of Windows 98 with the Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600) already inserted into the system, it detected and correctly installed the device. So, it works. Just not when I inserted the ISA card into an existing Windows 98 machine.

Reply 5 of 5, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice!

I failed to mention before that I *did* get it working with my rig, but it suddenly stopped on it's own again, so I figured it was what jesolo said and the bus and/or CPU speed get buggy with the card. Hopefully yours keeps going 😜, the dual sound card is still not a bad idea though 😁

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?