Common searches

The Weekend Thread (Fri-Sun)

Topic actions

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to start a new thread on here after viewing this thread on Lemon64.com: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= … der=asc&start=0

Plans for tonight is a dance night at 6pm for my brother and smoke test a Quantum Fireball ST 3.5 Series HDD in another computer and run some SMRT (Homer Simpson's spelling) test on the drive to see if there are any bad marks.

Saturday is National Clean the gutters out Day, thrift store day, tell the girl I really like how I feel, and work at night (least favorite)

Sunday is sleeping in day, laundry day, and binge watch Whose Line is it Anyway? on the CW Seed app (still on Season 4).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 146, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice idea...

Tonight was LGR/Pizza night with the Mrs, made all the better as it was a thrifts episode. Installed the GTX650, and started to repair today's pickup (Dimension C521).

Saturday - Bloody royal wedding madness (in UK) so will be busying laying more flooring at my elderly mothers house for most of the day, then film/date night with the Mrs in the eve. Computer free day.

Sunday - Service the daily (Mini R52) hoping it doesn't rain! Just generally chill before work, may start setting up the Dimension build... Clear any OOH support tickets that have dropped in over the weekend before Monday. 😵

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 2 of 146, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just recently picked up on watching LGR, glad I knew what that meant 🤣. I wasn't much of a youtube viewer before this. I enjoyed the video where he unboxed the NOS IBM, lucky cat.

I bought a few litres of ginger ale and I'm going to spend the weekend looking for and hopefully reading a manual / reference for Watcom C/C++ for DOS (8.5 or higher).. If anybody knows where that information is lay it on me, no books on ebay 😁

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 146, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fri: beer and cheeseburger after work

Sat: chores and a few hours of "surprise" overtime for the job. Walk dog. May binge-watch some Blackadder whilst finally working on my Tandy (what can I say I procrastinate like nothing else)

Sun: Bacon & eggs for breakfast. Leisurely walk with dog. Finish chores. Visit family.

Reply 4 of 146, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went to a graduation ceremony. Couldn't see it and couldn't hear it, but I think it happened.
Glad that's over. We started with over an hour of political speeches by 4 different speakers - last chance to finish programming the students before they are released, and to let people like me know why we're terrible people. Not sure what any of it had to do with the event we came for. When that ended the reading of names started, but I had to give up trying to watch that. It was futile.

The crowd was what you typically get at graduations. About half the people didn't know how to act. Constant yelling, screaming, air horns blasting in your ear, balloons, etc.
Audio was fine during the political speeches, but once the "ceremony" started, it was inaudible. A few people thought it would be cool to stand up in an aisle in front of our section, and ignored some increasingly agitated requests (not from me) to sit down. Over time, this grew into a larger crowd.

As the ceremony progressed, people started getting up, having idle conversations, meeting up with their graduates, taking pictures, and leaving long before it was over. The noise level soon reached similarity with an overcrowded picnic or a shopping mall. Somewhere out there, a graduation was theoretically taking place, but it was hard to tell.

The closest I came to seeing the graduation was watching some graduates do their post-graduation family pictures in front of us, with the actual graduation still taking place in the background. Classy.
I've been to several graduations, and they always suck, but this is the worst I've seen yet. If people have become so selfish and badly raised that they can't exercise more consideration and behavioral restraint at a formal ceremony than a crowd of 10 year olds, then just do it in private. Waste of time.
But it's California so I'm not surprised.

--
Looking forward to doing something more enjoyable over the weekend. Maybe work on the car and work on some PCs that need attention. One is my file server which has started locking up recently. Disabling PowerNow didn't fix it. I've long seen sporadic disk I/O complaints when it boots, so yesterday I swapped out all the SATA cables (which I've long suspected were junk). Time will tell. Also have a new (used) SSD to play with, and maybe start setting up a PC for a family member.

Reply 5 of 146, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another hot weekend (in Michigan, where the weather's made up and the roads don't matter):

Friday: binge watching Whose Line is it Anyway

Saturday: thrifting, going to the movies, and working at night (boo!)

Sunday: sleep in

Reply 6 of 146, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a three day weekend today thanks to a public holiday on Monday!

Saturday I visited my Grandad who has just moved into a rest home, and spent the evening playing LA Noire with storms outside (it is very hot and humid... for the UK).

Today I am doing gardening and might continue my LA Noir binge later (or maybe R6S which I bought a while ago but have played for one hour).

I've been down on retro hardware recently so my one-size-fits-all XP machine is Ivybridge based with a GTX285, which I've been playing Need for Speed Porsche 2000 on. On Monday I might put my P4 PC back together as I have a 9500 Pro I want to test out in W98 and XP.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 7 of 146, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LoWang over there is always serious, but impossible to take seriously.

The only retro-ish thing I did this past weekend was lay 90-year-old bricks - our ongoing renovation resulted in 2 chimneys worth of demolished bricks; all locally made and so lovely to look at that I decided to clean them and lay them as pavers. I've bitten off way more work than my desk jockey body can handled but I'm getting there slowly.

IMG_3104.JPG
Filename
IMG_3104.JPG
File size
100.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by badmojo on 2018-05-28, 03:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 146, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another 3 day weekend.

Friday (National Doughnut Day): get a free doughnut and move stuff in my parents room in order to remove the carpet

Saturday: thrifting, hockey, and working at night (boo!) <-- construction in my vicinity 😠

Sunday: watch basketball.

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-06-01, 19:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 146, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Friday (National Doughnut Day): get a free doughnut, move stuff in my parents room in order to remove the carpet, and watch hockey (GO KNIGHTS!)

Speaking of expansion hockey:
https://www.barstoolsports.com/philadelphia/s … s-gary-bettman/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 146, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Friday (yesterday): Went through my CD binders to label my old burnt yet unlabeled discs and dispose of some redundant discs from my childhood (for example: I had a CD-R with some WMP skins and Windows sounds on it from before I knew about 7-Zip).

Saturday (today): Install an SSD in my recently acquired Dell Optiplex 7010 (that is, if the SSD comes today), watch britcoms and a couple episodes of Classic Doctor Who on a local PBS station.

Sunday (tomorrow): Get Windows 7 installed on that Dell, redo my desk setup to put the new Dell in place of my HP DC7800 (which is being used to type this post), and maybe watch one of the DVDs that I rented at our local library.

Reply 14 of 146, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Car stuff this weekend. I auto-failed the California emissions test for a cracked air intake hose (which was taped). I think the logic must be that it could affect the MAF sensor on some cars, but mine doesn't use one. Doesn't matter, it's a bureaucracy.

Saturday: the replacement air hose arrived, along with a couple electrical connectors that I've been wanting to replace.
The hose was caked in oil and dirt, and I probably spent an hour cleaning it inside and out. That and one of the electrical connectors are now replaced. I'm a little worried though because the replacement hose has apparently been previously repaired by someone. I can see where it's been patched with silicone or something. I hope they don't make an issue out of that now. It's an old car so finding mint, original factory parts isn't always easy.
Also: A power jack for an i3 Sony laptop arrived from eBay.

Sunday: I need to replace one more electrical connector and might do that Sunday. It's only a dashboard gauge sender so it's not relevant to engine controls or emissions, but if somebody doesn't understand the car or just has a grudge then they might decide to think so.
I should also install the replacement power jack in the Sony laptop, which somebody has been waiting far too long for me to fix.

Need to solve a storage problem on my file server. SnapRAID is unable to generate a parity file due to disk space. I will prefer a solution that doesn't involve adding another drive. But on the plus side, it seems the SATA cables I replaced 1-2 weeks ago have fixed it's earlier lockup/booting problems.

KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Friday (yesterday): Went through my CD binders to label my old burnt yet unlabeled discs and dispose of some redundant discs from my childhood (for example: I had a CD-R with some WMP skins and Windows sounds on it from before I knew about 7-Zip).

I totally need to do that, too. Someday. 😀

Reply 15 of 146, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another weekend:

Friday: brother has prom tonight
Saturday: going to McDonald's and tell them I'm quitting (been there for 9 years), thrifting, and working at night (boo!)
Sunday: sleep in

Reply 16 of 146, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Friday: Hacking all night on a little program you guys should all enjoy (in due time).
Saturday: Nephew is coming to sleep over [age 6], we'll be beating another episode of Jazz Jackrabbit with the Gravis Gamepad.
--> speaking of which, he's always trying to play with my joystick, any good DOS games that a 6 year old can handle? (no, he doesn't get/enjoy Wing Commander yet 🙁 )
Sunday: Probably just play Dark Souls Remastered all day with my feet up.

Reply 17 of 146, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another weekend:

Friday: brother has another dance tonight
Saturday: arts & crafts in the morning, thrifting, and working at night (boo!) <-- 1 week left
Sunday: take more carpeting out of my parents' room

Reply 18 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In Indonesia, this Friday coincidences with Eid-ul-Fitr, which is traditionally celebrated with long holiday and family gatherings. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 146, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm feeling very over worked and burned out so..

Tonight: Games & sleep
Saturday: Games & sleep
Sunday: Games & sleep

ahhh I can't wait