VOGONS

First post, by Xoremus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Putting together a 486dx4-100 Amd build, looking for some opinions on video cards. I have Isa / vesa slots available , I am looking to do more of a dos box side/but still be just as good for windows. Is there any reason I shouldnt go for SVGA instead of Vga, I get that Vga supports 640 x 480 and Svga is 800 x 600. does scaling matter with certain dos games? there are definitely a few windows games I would like to play but as I said the Dos stuff is maybe a bit more important. any suggestions on some different Vid Card models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
X

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLB cards are SVGA by default. Best choice would be late S3, Cirrus Logic or ATI cards like Trio 64, CL5434 and Mach 32/64. Realistically speaking it's quite hard to find any those today, so look for a Cirrus Logic 5428/5429 or S3 805-P card.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VGA "supporting 640x480" would mean an unbuffered 16 color mode that would be slow. You'd have no choice to pick something way better than that.

The last VLB card i've used was a Diamond Speedstar Pro which I think was Cirrus-based, and i've had huge palette issues with that (likely due to 40x4) so I went with a PCI video card instead. YMMV (may be better since you're going 33x3 here).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Although the below is for PCI/AGP a lot of the earlier cards here will also have a ISA or even VLB equivalent.
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iconclas wrote:

Very good review from 1993 for VLB cards. Here is the link. https://books.google.com/books?id=7k7q-wS0t00 … id%20vlb&f=true

That is a big list. Also be sure to read Computer Gaming World no. 125 Dec 1994.
And my post with a Small summary of that article.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul