Topic actions

Reply 23560 of 52352, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pabloz wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I want to try a CMI8330 card (or a SoundPro rebadge) but they're sometimes hard to find.

whats so special about cmi8330? it looks like another cheap card from taiwan.

Full SPDIF output for both FM and PCM. Also, it has both SP Pro and SB16 compatibility.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23561 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

Just received confirmation I can go pick up two totally unknown old boxes for free. The seller posted a stock pic of an Amiga 1000 and stated "similar, but not the same, photo from internet" but added "extremely heavy", which is hardly how I'd describe an Amiga pizza box and 12" monitor. The mind boggles at what I'm exactly going to find there. Loot box ahoy 😉

Aaand... not my lucky day...

The "similar" to an A1000 with 12" monitor turned out to be two HP S7500 CRTs - rather late low-end affairs and in a bad state. I passed on the opportunity.

Then the other loot box: a Packard Bell Platinum ATX miditower with something in it. Given the ATX backplate I thought I'd found another MSI MS-6168, as it was the only board shipped in this case with the specific connectors (onboard audio in PC99 colours and one serial port replaced by a blue VGA connector). Nope. The previous owner had actually managed to downgrade the motherboard to something close to what would have been found in a low-end Packard Bell at the time: a Gigabyte GA-6VMML (Via PLE133, no AGP and generally crappy). The low-end PB would have had GA-6WMM7 (the i810 version of the same). Oh, and the caps are all bust too. Given the low price I paid (EUR 10...) not anything to complain about, but a disappointment nonetheless.

Edit: could have known this. The case is a Hercules (1998-vintage) Platinum tower, which should have had an Intel SE440BX or MSI MS-6119 in it - neither of which had PC99 colours or integrated VGA. And of course the previous owner was a smoker - my fingers stink again 🙁

Last edited by dionb on 2018-05-21, 22:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23562 of 52352, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000. […]
Show full quote

Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.

s-2000.jpg

Looks like Gateway had these as an option.

s-2000-back.jpg

Yup - a 1Mb ROM Gateway 2000 OEM version is what you have there. The 2MB ROM versions have the larger "MX" chip (in length) and are the retail versions that also typically have the IDE interfaces.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23563 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.

s-2000.jpg

s-2000-back.jpg

Yup - a 1Mb ROM Gateway 2000 OEM version is what you have there. The 2MB ROM versions have the larger "MX" chip (in length) and are the retail versions that also typically have the IDE interfaces.

Which means I can do a direct comparison with my retail version 😀

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23564 of 52352, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
Artex wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

s-2000.jpg

s-2000-back.jpg

Which means I can do a direct comparison with my retail version 😀

For sure! The difference is subtle unless you have expert ears imo. The Elite is night and day compared to the plain S-2000, but primarily because of the attached DSP. If you've got one of these, then you have another for comparison! They all share the S2016 base model #.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23565 of 52352, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

NO KIDDING. Huuuuuuuuge freaking pet peeve. Especially when they then go and demand premium prices and say things like "I know what I have." I don't want something that's been in the place where your slough along with your yucky feet and all the mice in your house use as a toilet. Put it on a desk or a table like a civilized human being. How hard can this be?? ARGHLGRFKLGLK;KF

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23566 of 52352, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this happened today...

IMG_20180522_141751.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180522_141751.jpg
File size
201.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20180522_141737.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180522_141737.jpg
File size
215.12 KiB
Views
File license

Found a nice NOS sealed Netgear PCI card in my stores today too 😁

e0zer5-2.png

Reply 23567 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Compensated for my bad luck with old hardware this week by buying an Asus P5A system. Not picking it up till the weekend, so don't know the revision, but regardless it's a board I've wanted since these things were new (even if I now know a late rev GA-5AA is technically better). Also getting a nice ATX desktop case (1998-era AOpen by the look of it), another Diamond Speedstar A50, either an early revision SB 64 PCI or a late Ensoniq AudioPCI, a PCI modem (yay...), fast CDRom and slow CDRW, a Compaq 15" v55 CRT and a (badly yellowed) Packard Bell keyboard. Oh, and an otherwise unspecified HDD running Windows 98 - which proved that it all works, at least well enough to boot to desktop.

Apart from the motherboard not really anything special, but can't wait to see if I can get my K6-3+ running at 720MHz (and if it's a rev. 1.05 or later, then see how to hard fix the slowdown bug)

Reply 23568 of 52352, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Compensated for my bad luck with old hardware this week by buying an Asus P5A system. Not picking it up till the weekend, so don't know the revision, but regardless it's a board I've wanted since these things were new (even if I now know a late rev GA-5AA is technically better). Also getting a nice ATX desktop case (1998-era AOpen by the look of it), another Diamond Speedstar A50, either an early revision SB 64 PCI or a late Ensoniq AudioPCI, a PCI modem (yay...), fast CDRom and slow CDRW, a Compaq 15" v55 CRT and a (badly yellowed) Packard Bell keyboard. Oh, and an otherwise unspecified HDD running Windows 98 - which proved that it all works, at least well enough to boot to desktop.

Apart from the motherboard not really anything special, but can't wait to see if I can get my K6-3+ running at 720MHz (and if it's a rev. 1.05 or later, then see how to hard fix the slowdown bug)

I have three p5a-b boards and four p5a, all revisions. Tried two k6-3+ cpu's and two k6-2+. Getting any of these combinations with working cache above 630mhz i had zero luck. I also have the Gigabyte late revision (5.2), it is not better in any way as far as i know. Didn't even clock any higher as the Asus. It even was a fraction slower in benchmarks. The Gigabyte Ga5aa (baby at version) did a bit better but also slower as the p5a boards.

The absolute highest 3dmark scores i got from a 1.04 P5A-B

So good luck reaching 720mhz! Let me know if you got it.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23569 of 52352, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card.
I realize there are development cards for snes/psx/etc but I don't think I will come across them easily.

h8tl0x9.jpg

Reply 23570 of 52352, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very cool! Never knew it ever existed 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 23571 of 52352, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hentai-ecchi engine card in your regular PC. Sweet.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23572 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

[...]

The previous owner had actually managed to downgrade the motherboard to something close to what would have been found in a low-end Packard Bell at the time: a Gigabyte GA-6VMML (Via PLE133, no AGP and generally crappy). The low-end PB would have had GA-6WMM7 (the i810 version of the same). Oh, and the caps are all bust too. Given the low price I paid (EUR 10...) not anything to complain about, but a disappointment nonetheless.

Turns out I was a bit too hasty and mis-identified the motherboard. It's a Gigabyte GA-6VEML. That letter difference means PLE133T and FC-PGA2, so Tualatin support. It's still crappy integrated VGA without AGP, but under the (dusty, smoky) heatsink I found a Celeron 1200, which is a nice surprise.

meljor wrote:

[...]

So good luck reaching 720mhz! Let me know if you got it.

Shall do 😀

Reply 23573 of 52352, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote:

Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card.
I realize there are development cards for snes/psx/etc but I don't think I will come across them easily.

Wow. Like others - Yeah. I had no idea! Nice.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 23574 of 52352, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:
Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card. I realize there are […]
Show full quote

h8tl0x9.jpg

Ya know, it's one thing to not know about a piece of obscure hardware like this, but another to not even know the hardware this hardware is allowing you to play on the PC. 🤣 Completely out of the loop on this one. Looked it up on Wikipedia to get filled in. So something like this would probably turn up on a site like Yahoo! Auctions is what I am guessing?

Reply 23576 of 52352, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
furan wrote:
Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card. I realize there are […]
Show full quote

h8tl0x9.jpg

Ya know, it's one thing to not know about a piece of obscure hardware like this, but another to not even know the hardware this hardware is allowing you to play on the PC. 🤣 Completely out of the loop on this one. Looked it up on Wikipedia to get filled in. So something like this would probably turn up on a site like Yahoo! Auctions is what I am guessing?

Yeah, Yahoo Auctions Japan, or a Japanese Ebay seller (at a huge mark-up compared to Y! Auctions, probably).

There are three PC98 versions on Y! Auctions right now, the PC/AT version is much harder to find.

Reply 23577 of 52352, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received this beuty… quite not standard colour as for s370...

Abit CASPER 2.jpg
Filename
Abit CASPER 2.jpg
File size
300.51 KiB
Views
File comment
Abit ST6E Casper
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 23579 of 52352, by CarlHopkinsUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never had the opertunity to have a true 1600X1200 screen, as i jumped right into the 1600x900 widescreens and then FHD models. So when this turned up cheap i had to get it.

IMG_20180523_183254.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180523_183254.jpg
File size
346.66 KiB
Views
File license

HP LP2065 20" in perfect condition. Wonderful LCD and fantastic compared to my great (but scratched) Samsung 19" 943 1280x1024 it is replacing...

e0zer5-2.png