VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the most modern motherboard you succeeded installing WinXP or moving already installed WinXP to.

Last edited by robertmo on 2018-05-20, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My most modern mainboard for XP was based around an AMD E-350 APU, I think.
It was from Asus or Asrock. Sorry, I don't remember the exact model anymore. 😊

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel Z68 or other motherboard chipsets from the 6-series. 7-series should be possible as well, though I don't know the driver situation concerning the intel USB3 interface that was introduced with the 7-series.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have XP installed on an AMD FX-8320e based system.

X79 should definitely be doable as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 18, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dunno about Ryzen boards, but i made it working on Z370 that is most modern board..
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 6e3c6dc17cafb36

If you dont invest some additional effort last officially supported are AM3 boards or Z68 boards.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 8 of 18, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

There is also problem that for Windows 98 and XP - you need lots PCI-E slots for additional cards and board has only 6 slots.. and modern GPU is 2 slot

I think some USB devices may help here too: USB sound card, USB network card for example.

Reply 9 of 18, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think some USB devices may help here too: USB sound card, USB network card for example.

USB soundcards are working that is fine and some has good enough sound quality and cheap, but i had problem on some systems to make them work after removal, some problem with Microsoft supporting virtual kernel devices, on MSFN we spend lots of time on it and it was not fixed.
New Windows 98 install would fix it, but its annoying.

USB network card you need some ASSIX AX88772_772A chipset most of cheap USB dongles on ebay are described as Windows 98 compatible but its are actually AX88772_772B or C, there some proven, but i found out from US sellers, but problem is shipping price for EU is nonsense.. so you have to be rich, devoted or have some USA based friend - real shipping price is few bucks.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 10 of 18, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Windows XP rig uses an ASUS P8H67-M EVO motherboard which works perfectly. I haven't risked it on my main rig's motherboard because I just put in 3GB of memory to make sure nothing odd happened.

I can highly recommend my Windows Xp rig though:
i5-2500k (some games require you to disable the extra cores but that's easy to do)
3GB memory
2012-era graphics card (in my case HD 4870)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (best Windows XP sound card as far as I'm concerned)

My compatibility rate with this rig is incredibly high - 98% so far. Without any tweaks, it would be around 95% but most require minute tweaks like disabling cores. Two of the games that give me issues, don't like high poll rates on mice so an older gaming mouse would fix those.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 11 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
red_avatar wrote:

3GB of memory to make sure nothing odd happened.

In my experience, Windows XP is very good in ignoring any RAM that is beyond its useable range. Totally OK with 8GB, it just does not use all of it. Maybe you were thinking of the Windows 98 512MB+ memory issues.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 18, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
red_avatar wrote:

3GB of memory to make sure nothing odd happened.

In my experience, Windows XP is very good in ignoring any RAM that is beyond its useable range. Totally OK with 8GB, it just does not use all of it. Maybe you were thinking of the Windows 98 512MB+ memory issues.

In 2006, I had built a brand new system right before Vista was released and it had 4GB and I remember it causing some problems which is why I didn't go for 4GB or more. It's been 12 years and it might have been the BIOS but since this is a PC built just for Windows XP I thought I'd play it safe.

I've been using Windows Xp for the past two weeks on this rig and it's really pleasant to use. I miss the very clear and relatively simple UI. With Opera, I can access most sites and even watch Youtube while I'm downloading and installing games (I'm trying to fill the entire 1TB hard drive).

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 13 of 18, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congrats on getting XP to work on newer systems. Admittedly, I've only tried twice but both times were exercises in futility and frustration. These were both machines that came with Vista 64bit installed, one Nvidia GPU based and the other AMD.

XP did manage to install on both systems but I was left with 640x480 SVGA, no sound, no WIFI. I Googled till the G key broke on my keyboard searching/downloading various drivers for XP since the manufacturers websites only had Vista/Windows 7 drivers. Nothing. I managed to get the sound working on one (both were Conexant based) but couldn't get native Video drivers working. I tried hacked drivers, editing the drivers' inf file...nothing.

It all comes down to whether you have the right drivers.

red_avatar wrote:

I've been using Windows Xp for the past two weeks on this rig and it's really pleasant to use. I miss the very clear and relatively simple UI. With Opera, I can access most sites and even watch Youtube while I'm downloading and installing games (I'm trying to fill the entire 1TB hard drive).

On my XP rig I find Firefox 52 (the last XP supported version) works with every website I've tried it on at the time of this writing. Chrome/Opera gives me lots of "This webpage is not available ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH" errors and rendering issues on numerous websites. The ERR_SSL error is a result of using XP's oudated system certificates (also used by IE). Firefox doesn't rely on these, having its own internal certificates.

Reply 14 of 18, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have working XP system, RAM could be problems if you have lots resident programs.. regardless of raw CPU or memory speed, from my experience, boot to all system ready could be slow and there could be some lags.

You could try 64 bit PAE patch, its working on most of the systems and it dont broke compatibility and add some speed, so XP is fully usable even today, from speed perspective https://msfn.org/board/topic/176356-simple-xp … true-pae-guide/

Reply 15 of 18, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote:

XP did manage to install on both systems but I was left with 640x480 SVGA, no sound, no WIFI. I Googled till the G key broke on my keyboard searching/downloading various drivers for XP since the manufacturers websites only had Vista/Windows 7 drivers. Nothing. I managed to get the sound working on one (both were Conexant based) but couldn't get native Video drivers working. I tried hacked drivers, editing the drivers' inf file...nothing.

If you post specs someone could help you, but mentioned Wifi, so if it is laptop, its always worse than desktop.

Reply 16 of 18, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes they were both laptops. I no longer own the Nvidia latop and the AMD is running fine with Win7. I ended up buying a separate used laptop that was made for XP instead .

Reply 17 of 18, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not the most modern, but I think your best bet is going with a P4 s775 AGP8x motherboard that will run WIN98 to XP.

Link - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16813157338

PhilsComputerLab actually did a review on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnfioK2xZ4

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 18 of 18, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Norton Commander wrote:

Yes they were both laptops. I no longer own the Nvidia latop and the AMD is running fine with Win7. I ended up buying a separate used laptop that was made for XP instead .

Once again without specs we can give only general info..