VOGONS

First post, by Atomic Skull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Playonline Viewer (the front end for logging into the game) does not draw properly with dgVoodoo2's DDraw.dll. The background draws but the text doesn't. Works fine without it and I don't think the actual game uses DDraw anyway but it's still an issue so I'm mentioning it. If you remove DDraw.DLL from POL's directory the game will load and run with just d3d8.dll

Fog is not applied to mobs, the best place to see this is in the Sanctuary of Zi'tah where there is constant fog and the trunks of the larger trees are actually mobs rather than part of the landscape (their branches are apparently part of the landscape geometry though, no idea why this is). This affects any moving object, ferries and airships, monsters, etc. Landscape fogs, anything that moves and some static elements like the tree trunks here do not. EDIT: And the outpost building too I just noticed.

Another oddity is that I have to put the DLLs in both \Square Exix\FINAL FANTASY XI and \Square Enix\PlayOnlineViewer so I need two copies of the DLLs in two different directories to get it to work.

EDIT: I just noticed that the large tree trunks and the smaller ones don't fog but the "medium" sized one do. Maybe they were working around some limitation with the engine here but apparently some of the tree trunks are part of the landscape geometry and others are not.

Attachments

• ffxi_pol_001.png
    Filename
    ffxi_pol_001.png
    File size
    197.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ffxi_fog_001.png
    Filename
    ffxi_fog_001.png
    File size
    1.38 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • ffxi_fog_002.png
    Filename
    ffxi_fog_002.png
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 4, by Atomic Skull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

I fixed PlayOnline Viewer. How much complicated is it to get to that point in that world? 😀

You could get there as a level one if you had a bag full of sneak and invisibility potions. One hit and you'd be dead if you are spotted by a monster though (long as you stay sneaked and invis you are safe though). Best place to start in Windurst then go East Sarutabaruta -> Tahrongi canyon -> Meriphataud mountains -> Sanctuary of Zi'tah. Meriphataud is mostly just following a relatively safe roadway. If you make a character on Fenrir I could send you some stacks of sneak and invis potions as well as a reraiser and a hi reraiser and a super reraiser (you can only possess one of each in your inventory as they are tagged as "Rare" items) and some potions to restore heath in case you get killed and have to raise (undead monsters will agro red HP at a very far distance so it's dangerous to run around with low HP in a high level zone). Resaisers are a medication that put a 60 minute reraise effect on you, if you die you can raise yourself without having someone else cast a raise spell on you. (when you die a dialogue will pop up asking if you want to raise)

Pehki Machumaht in Windurst Woods (H-11) sells the map to the windurst area, I could also mail your character some gil (money) to purchase the map with (it's more convenient that consulting an online map)

One thing about sneak and invisible, the effect must wear off before you use annother or it won't overwrite the previous effect. You can stop somewhere safe and manually remove it though if the time is getting low (the effect has a remaining time listed on the icon)

Reply 4 of 4, by mleko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Atomic Skull wrote on 2018-05-26, 04:59:
Playonline Viewer (the front end for logging into the game) does not draw properly with dgVoodoo2's DDraw.dll. The background dr […]
Show full quote

Playonline Viewer (the front end for logging into the game) does not draw properly with dgVoodoo2's DDraw.dll. The background draws but the text doesn't. Works fine without it and I don't think the actual game uses DDraw anyway but it's still an issue so I'm mentioning it. If you remove DDraw.DLL from POL's directory the game will load and run with just d3d8.dll

Fog is not applied to mobs, the best place to see this is in the Sanctuary of Zi'tah where there is constant fog and the trunks of the larger trees are actually mobs rather than part of the landscape (their branches are apparently part of the landscape geometry though, no idea why this is). This affects any moving object, ferries and airships, monsters, etc. Landscape fogs, anything that moves and some static elements like the tree trunks here do not. EDIT: And the outpost building too I just noticed.

Another oddity is that I have to put the DLLs in both \Square Exix\FINAL FANTASY XI and \Square Enix\PlayOnlineViewer so I need two copies of the DLLs in two different directories to get it to work.

EDIT: I just noticed that the large tree trunks and the smaller ones don't fog but the "medium" sized one do. Maybe they were working around some limitation with the engine here but apparently some of the tree trunks are part of the landscape geometry and others are not.

Were you able to play with fog using dgVoodoo?