Reply 20 of 75, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Beegle wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Daikatana GOTY Edition

My drink is all over my monitor now. Urgh. Where are the cleaning products?

Who cares. John Romero is about to make everyone his bitch.

Any moment now.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 21 of 75, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Any moment now.

He already did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7MOdP78R9o

Also:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/daikatana-quake2/

But yeah, back on topic:

firage wrote:
dr_st wrote:
pico1180 wrote:

ME was historically one of the worst, if not THE worst OS Microsoft ever released. Notorious for its instability and lack of refinement, despite how long they had to make that platform rock solid.

Was it really worse that 98SE in terms of stability and refinement? Never mind the lost pure DOS mode.

Probably wasn't as bad with all new hardware and new drivers, but then 2K and XP were the real deal.

This isn't really apples-to-apples. I guess many people comparing WinME to Win2K which came before would be disappointed with the loss of stability. But 2K was not as compatible with 9x games. XP which came later improved on that and in a way made both WinMe and Win2k obsolete. But as far as 9x OSes go, I cannot find any supporting data that WinMe was in any way worse than Win98 SE (again, minus the pure DOS mode).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 75, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Beegle wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Daikatana GOTY Edition

My drink is all over my monitor now. Urgh. Where are the cleaning products?

Oh my god I'm so angry right now. That John Romero has such an ego. I'm going to boycott anything and everything remotely attached to Ion Storm.

Deus Ex is the best game of all tiem. I own like 9 copies.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 25 of 75, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, just be glad he's not using a Netburst Celeron (arguably the worst CPU of its kind), this is actually looking like a pretty interesting build for experimenting with an overlooked architecture, especially with the funny comments and such.

dr_st wrote:
pico1180 wrote:

ME was historically one of the worst, if not THE worst OS Microsoft ever released. Notorious for its instability and lack of refinement, despite how long they had to make that platform rock solid.

Was it really worse that 98SE in terms of stability and refinement? Never mind the lost pure DOS mode.

I remember that one of the possible reasons for Windows ME's hatred was the fact that some OEMs/hardware manufacturers tried to pass old VXD-based drivers as "compatible with ME" even though it was designed to be used with WDM drivers instead of VXD, therefore it suffered the same fate as Vista which was actually no better on the subject of launch drivers due to half-baked WDDM drivers (then-new driver model at the time) and some lazy OEMs/hardware manufacturers passing old XP drivers as "Vista compatible" in the similar sense as ME with VXD drivers. Once you have proper drivers for each OS (for ME and Vista respectively: WDM and WDDM), they're actually not as bad as people claimed they were when they first came out.

Reply 26 of 75, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

some OEMs/hardware manufacturers tried to pass old VXD-based drivers as "compatible with ME" even though it was designed to be used with WDM drivers instead of VXD

This leads to an interesting question that came to my mind: what about Sound Blaster compatibility for DOS games running from inside Windows? It has been shown time and again, that Win9x can support many DOS games with no issues, including full sound options, if you run them under Windows. This saves you the hassle of messing with audio drivers under DOS, and has better compatibility with PCI sound cards. The question - is this compatibility available with WDM drivers, or only VXD drivers? I wonder if you have to trade DOS game audio compatibility for general OS stability / advanced ACPI, when using WinME (or 98SE for that matter).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 27 of 75, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Oh my god I'm so angry right now. That John Romero has such an ego. I'm going to boycott anything and everything remotely attached to Ion Storm.

Like anything Mike Wilson publishes (*cough*Devolver*cough*)? The early Ion Storm PR stunts are his fault, you know...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 75, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh... I had a pair of Dell Dimension 8100s... One with the original 1.3GHz, the other had a 2.0GHz - first and the last of socket 423. One of them had a WinME sticker on it - couldn't bare to actually install it though... Maybe one day I'll try it

Reply 29 of 75, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Benchmarks and game tests completed!

leileilol wrote:

You'd better get some Daikatana GOTY Edition

Done!

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 30 of 75, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

some OEMs/hardware manufacturers tried to pass old VXD-based drivers as "compatible with ME" even though it was designed to be used with WDM drivers instead of VXD

This leads to an interesting question that came to my mind: what about Sound Blaster compatibility for DOS games running from inside Windows? It has been shown time and again, that Win9x can support many DOS games with no issues, including full sound options, if you run them under Windows. This saves you the hassle of messing with audio drivers under DOS, and has better compatibility with PCI sound cards. The question - is this compatibility available with WDM drivers, or only VXD drivers? I wonder if you have to trade DOS game audio compatibility for general OS stability / advanced ACPI, when using WinME (or 98SE for that matter).

To avoid a wall of text illustrating the finer points of MS OS's of the time i will just say this. 98SE was the definitive OS for the period for home users. It was a drastic improvement over 95. ME was, arguable, a step backwards. Overall, the whole 9x (including ME) series were unstable, buggy, picky, and unreliable. But 95 was the worst of them. But forgivable because of how revolutionary it was. There was really nothing to compare it to. 98SE was everything 95 should have been. ME was a step back for reasons already pointed out. All the while the NT kernal was what people went for if they truly wanted stability.

Reply 31 of 75, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pico1180 wrote:

To avoid a wall of text illustrating the finer points of MS OS's of the time i will just say this. 98SE was the definitive OS for the period for home users. It was a drastic improvement over 95. ME was, arguable, a step backwards. Overall, the whole 9x (including ME) series were unstable, buggy, picky, and unreliable. But 95 was the worst of them. But forgivable because of how revolutionary it was. There was really nothing to compare it to. 98SE was everything 95 should have been. ME was a step back for reasons already pointed out. All the while the NT kernal was what people went for if they truly wanted stability.

Sounds like you quoted an unrelated post (because you did not answer its question), and then you just repeated your previously stated opinion, without backing it with any facts/explanations, other than 'reasons already pointed out', which, assuming you are referring to your earlier post, were not actually 'pointed out' there, either. Essentially, you try to create a sense of some consensus through vague references to something that does not exist. Great job! 😜

Reply 32 of 75, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cxm717 wrote:

Put an XGI Volari v8 duo ultra in there and it would be perfect IMO 😜

Maximum troll mode! Though the Volari was from late 2003, so more likely to be paired with a Socket 478 875P/865PE setup. Though the same could be said for the FX 5900 XT.

This was such a fun read and a neat build. I just grabbed a D850GB board and 1.9 GHz P4 (to complete a full set of 1.3 - 2.0 GHz S423 P4's) and have been looking forward to playing around with it. I think I'll try it out with Windows ME just like you did. 🤣

Reply 34 of 75, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cxm717 wrote:

This is the first time I hear of this card. Looking at the cards history I can see why...

I think my wishlist just got bigger with this GPU. Any dual card with LEDs in the cooler is the best ever in my book 🤣

Katmai500 wrote:

Though the Volari was from late 2003, so more likely to be paired with a Socket 478 875P/865PE setup. Though the same could be said for the FX 5900 XT.

Ideally this would have featured a 5800Ultra, however my wallet keeps saying 'NO'.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 35 of 75, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote:
This is the first time I hear of this card. Looking at the cards history I can see why... […]
Show full quote
cxm717 wrote:

This is the first time I hear of this card. Looking at the cards history I can see why...

I think my wishlist just got bigger with this GPU. Any dual card with LEDs in the cooler is the best ever in my book 🤣

Katmai500 wrote:

Though the Volari was from late 2003, so more likely to be paired with a Socket 478 875P/865PE setup. Though the same could be said for the FX 5900 XT.

Ideally this would have featured a 5800Ultra, however my wallet keeps saying 'NO'.

Haha. That would have been an awesome match up for this troll build, but I'm right there with you on the price. I don't think I'll ever own one with the prices they command. I still think the 5900 XT is more interesting than the period-correct GeForce 2 GTS. A Voodoo 4 or 5 would be a good match, too. Or you could track down an XGI card 🤣

Reply 36 of 75, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could buy a quadro FX 2000 which is the same as a 5800 (non ultra) - but it doesn't have that iconic heatsink

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 37 of 75, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This was brilliant! It was so well written I can see why a few people missed the sarcastic tone.
RAMBUS system is nice to have in a collection, much like VL-BUS, it's an interesting to have now as its a bit of tech that was obsolete before it even really started.

Reply 39 of 75, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really like this post cause one of my favorite retro computers is a Gateway with a socket 423 board, a 1.3 willamette (LOL) and 512MB of RDRAM and Windows ME to top it off. Found it at a thrift store for $10 and have loved it ever since. It is a beautiful machine and runs great.