VOGONS

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

355.82 August 31, 2015
is the last driver supporting Customizing Resolutions in WinXP.
Later versions have that option grayed out...

Reply 3 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually custom resolutions work also with later drivers but you have to edit the registry manually (only the interface is buggy).

XP_custres.jpg
Filename
XP_custres.jpg
File size
292.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WinXP allowed setting higher resolutions than your monitor supports resulting in a virtual desktop accessible by moving mouse out of the screen edges.
Do we have any solution for that feature on later Windows versions?

Reply 5 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

WinXP allowed setting higher resolutions than your monitor supports resulting in a virtual desktop accessible by moving mouse out of the screen edges.
Do we have any solution for that feature on later Windows versions?

I also miss this feature very much on Vista+. The only solution is to use an XP driver instead of WDDM drivers but this has some drawbacks (e.g. missing HW accelerated desktop composition).
On newer NVIDIA hardware + drivers you can use Dynamic Super Resolutions (DSR) that is handy if you want to simulate/test bigger resolution desktops (e.g. for testing software's UI on 4K) but certainly it's not the same... It's really designed for games as an AA alternative.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-05-17, 06:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote:
Falcosoft wrote:

I also miss this feature very much on Vista+.

Well, I don't want to start a flame war, but on newest AMD drivers the custom resolutions work very well... 😀

There's a misunderstanding here 😀. I miss the 'virtual desktop accessible by moving mouse out of the screen edges' feature robertmo mentioned in the post above. This feature works on XP with both NVIDIA and AMD drivers, but completely missing on Vista/7/8/10. It's usually mentioned as 'Pan & Scan Virtual Desktop':
http://www.planningcommunications.com/virtual_desktop.htm

Reply 8 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm-ksJBSGT4

something like this is achievable on vista+ with:
http://www.gimespace.com/products/desktop-extender.html

and for desktop without the ability of enlarging windows:
http://ynea.futureware.at/cgi-bin/infinite_screen.pl

Reply 9 of 14, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Actually custom resolutions work also with later drivers but you have to edit the registry manually (only the interface is buggy).

XP_custres.jpg

Can I please get a bit more detail on which registry entry should be edited and more importantly what has to be modified exactly? This screenshot alone is not enough for me to understand how this works. Thanks!

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 10 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I please get a bit more detail on which registry entry should be edited and more importantly what has to be modified exactly? This screenshot alone is not enough for me to understand how this works. Thanks!

Hi,
There's no 'exact' registry key since part of the registry path is a GUID (globally UNIQUE identifier) so it's different on each PC. But you can easily find out the key belonging to your card by examining the content (especially 'Device Description') in ...\{GUID}\0000. So the generalized registry path is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{your video card/driver GUID}\0000]
"NV_CustModes"

If you do not find "NV_CustModes" you have to create it. The best would be if you could copy the key from an older driver where you have already set your desired custom resolutions, and import it into the new driver's settings. In case you cannot do this I have attached my version. Don't forget to change the GUID to yours! It includes some custom resolutions that you can change/overwrite (do this in regedit itself after importing since in the file they are raw HEX values that are hard to edit) .

Filename
custres.zip
File size
440 Bytes
Downloads
142 downloads
File license

Reply 11 of 14, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I found it and entered manually 1440x1080 and it did show up in the nvidia control panel, but for some reason it's only 60hz. When I made a custom 1440x1080 under win7 it allowed me to have 120hz, so there's probably something more that needs to be added? I tried to look trough the registry on win7 but there's no NV_CustModes anywhere to be found there, so it probably saves the custom resolutions somehow else?

Reply 12 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately I cannot test this since currently I have a 60Hz LCD. You should try to change the resolution/refresh rate with the Window's control panel instead of NVIDIA's. Also make sure that 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' is not checked. You can also try Refresh rate overriding programs or change your Monitor's driver to one that allows wider range of refresh rates.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/refreshforce.html
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/3672 … -lcd-added-33-/

Reply 13 of 14, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not any different though, the windows control panel shows the same options for resolution and refresh rate as the nv control panel, so it's only 60 there as well. "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" I cannot reach under winXP since the Customize button is grayed out so there's no way to reach that menu.

I pretty much gave up on this and thought I'd try to uninstall 368.81 and install 355.82 as the OP suggested, but looks like I somehow broke it, 355.82 fails to install, and when I tried to install 368.81 once again, it gave me the same error... Looks like it's winXP reinstallation time... Oh well, at least that would give me the excuse to try out that WD Raptor drive I bought recently.

Reply 14 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:

It's not any different though, the windows control panel shows the same options for resolution and refresh rate as the nv control panel, so it's only 60 there as well. "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" I cannot reach under winXP since the Customize button is grayed out so there's no way to reach that menu.

It was not a coincidence I mentioned the 'Windows control panel' explicitly. It's not grayed out even with newer NVIDIA drivers. I talk about this 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' control:

freqset1.jpg
Filename
freqset1.jpg
File size
121.11 KiB
Views
File license