VOGONS

Common searches

Turok Dinosaur Hunter Help

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by yuljk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys - I'm attempting to get the original Turok working on Windows 10.

I have the original CD's - the game installs fine, however when attempting to launch with 3dfx glide using the latest dgvoodoo I get 'This game only supports Voodoo Rush'. I have already selected Voodoo Rush as the card in dgvoodoo.

Has anyone had any success getting this game to work with either D3D or Glide with dgvoodoo?

Many thanks!

Reply 3 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo Rush version is an exclusive OEM version for certain Voodoo Rush boards (IIRC the Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo). You'll need the proper retail version instead if you expect that to work with any Voodoo card (and wrapper), or just any other 3d vidoe card since Direct3D is also supported in retail.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 11, by yuljk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks teleguy - I'm using the patched .dll from that post - That's cleared up the error, however I'm now seeing 'Driver failed, application terminating'.

There was a reference on zeus's forum to changing hex values, as the game thinks any dll's in the game directory are drivers. However the hex entry doesn't exist that he's referring to.

Reply 7 of 11, by yuljk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Managed to get this working now - Switched across to the D3D release instead.

Firstly I replaced 2a 2e 64 6c 6c 2a with 76 2a 2e 64 6c 6c in Turok.exe to get around the driver initialisation error.

I used ddrawcompat instead of DGVoodoo (Couldn't get the game working with this) and then applied the widescreen fix from https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Turok:_Dinosaur … reen_resolution

The game runs well so far on Windows 10.

Now to convert the CD game music to .ogg in order to ensure it loops correctly!

Reply 10 of 11, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just to give some info in case someone is interested in this glorious game.

There is a version for direct 3d & glide support wich is better, the voodoo rush version dosnt have a config file and you cant use launch options like fps max, skip the launcher or whatever, it looks like a cutted version or earlier version.

The only problem i found with this version is in the menu it has an option for different glide ressolutions up to 800x600, this one is greyed (no access), changing the cfg file 3dfx's section 640x480 from "1" to "0", and do the same with 800x600 from 0 to 1 is solved.

Reply 11 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is a fantastic game, that I always felt was under-rated by non-N64 owners. It was very popular on the N64, admittedly partly because it was one of the first N64 games to come out (the N64 suffered from a dearth of games, early on). But on the PC, it seemed to gain very little recognition, maybe the PC port was noticeably inferior or very flawed in some ways, I don't know (I don't know if I ever played the PC version). I have Night Dive's remaster, on the PS4, and it's really good.

Mind you, at that time, the PC gaming world (the first person shooter demographic, at least) seemed to be utterly obsessed with Quake, a game that never really appealed to me. I always thought Quake to be very much inferior to the brilliant Doom 1 and 2, plus I much preferred Quake's PC contemporary Duke Nukem 3D.

Not that Turok was perfect, of course. I could have done without the miss-and-you-die jump sections, and a multiplayer mode would have been nice, but it's still really good. Plus it had dinosaurs in it, which is always a plus!