VOGONS

Reply 21 of 30, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since all the Aztech people are here, I'm going to throw this question out there...

According to this page, the MMSN843 has onboard wavetable, but I have one and I don't see it anywhere. Some posts have stated that other cards with the AZT2316R like mine also have onboard wavetable. My card is identical to this one:
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/fcIAAOSw8DJ … EJw/s-l1600.jpg

It seems odd to me that an OEM card with a built in modem, OPL3 synth and no obvious extra chips would have onboard wavetable. There is the AZT2316R, Analog Devices AD1845JP CODEC, YMF262 OPL3 and a bunch of tiny components that don't look like much. The rest at the top of the board appears to be all Rockwell modem parts, plus an SEC km62256clg-7 32KB RAM chip, which I doubt has anything to do with wavetable and an MX 128KB EPROM chip.

I'd just like to have a definitive answer one way or the other as to whether this card has built in wavetable in the AZT2316R (or anywhere else) or if this is simply a mistake that's been reposted a few different places.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The site shows MMSN843 with only a modem.
Also the ebay image doesn't work, but from the chip list there definitely is no ROMpler or something else. AZT2316 has no synths in it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 30, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Since all the Aztech people are here, I'm going to throw this question out there... […]
Show full quote

Since all the Aztech people are here, I'm going to throw this question out there...

According to this page, the MMSN843 has onboard wavetable, but I have one and I don't see it anywhere. Some posts have stated that other cards with the AZT2316R like mine also have onboard wavetable. My card is identical to this one:
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/fcIAAOSw8DJ … EJw/s-l1600.jpg

It seems odd to me that an OEM card with a built in modem, OPL3 synth and no obvious extra chips would have onboard wavetable. There is the AZT2316R, Analog Devices AD1845JP CODEC, YMF262 OPL3 and a bunch of tiny components that don't look like much. The rest at the top of the board appears to be all Rockwell modem parts, plus an SEC km62256clg-7 32KB RAM chip, which I doubt has anything to do with wavetable and an MX 128KB EPROM chip.

I'd just like to have a definitive answer one way or the other as to whether this card has built in wavetable in the AZT2316R (or anywhere else) or if this is simply a mistake that's been reposted a few different places.

I believe it's an error that this card has onboard wavetable synthesis. I think the simple reason why it doesn't have a header is due to cost savings and the fact that the modem section of the card already takes up the space where a header should be.
The game port, however, MPU-401 compatible and you could use that for any external MIDI synthesis.

Reply 24 of 30, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

The site shows MMSN843 with only a modem.
Also the ebay image doesn't work, but from the chip list there definitely is no ROMpler or something else. AZT2316 has no synths in it.

I think you're misreading the chart. It clearly has "onboard" listed in the wavetable column for this card. I'm not sure why the pic isn't working for you either, it was from Google images and works fine here.
Thanks for confirming that the AZT2316 doesn't have a built in synth.

jesolo wrote:

I believe it's an error that this card has onboard wavetable synthesis. I think the simple reason why it doesn't have a header is due to cost savings and the fact that the modem section of the card already takes up the space where a header should be.
The game port, however, MPU-401 compatible and you could use that for any external MIDI synthesis.

Yeah it definitely looks like an error. I just needed someone else to verify this.

Reply 25 of 30, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to have one of these and certainly don't remember any wavetable on it. But a Google image search on the MMSN843 shows some pretty diverse layouts, including some that have a chip on the edge of the board with some RAM next to it - which looks suspiciously wave-like.

Here's one layout:
s-l1600.jpg
Obscured chips, but nothing immediately wave-like.

And another:
soundport-isa-3d-stereo-sound-card-138-mmsn843-2.27__58308.1489958556.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on
Can't read any numbers on that Macronix chip, but if it's not doing wave, why the RAM chip next to it?

Reply 26 of 30, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's exactly what I have on mine. Its a 32Kbyte RAM chip and a 128Kbyte ROM. Not really enough for wavetable I don't think.

Reply 27 of 30, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That RAM and ROM are for the DSP that deals with modem stuff.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 28 of 30, by protivakid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
NJRoadfan wrote:

Drivers for the SOUND144AM can be found on various Packard Bell Master CDs. Hardware resources are soft configured by a DOS program. Windows 9x comes with the drivers and will auto detect the card.

Downloaded a PB Master CD and it had the SOUND144AM folder on it.

Uploaded it to my google drive. Link is in my previous post. Note: If you need that driver and the link no longer works, it means I moved it to a web host. PM me if this is the case.

For whatever reason the "SND144AM" folder that you found did not work for me. Looking at a collection of Packard Bell Master CD's at some point they switched between the "SND144AM" folder and a "SOUND144" folder as the previous poster mentioned. I was able to source those files though and when installed it worked on my I38-MMSN834 Packard Bell AzTech 2316. I attached them here too for future readers.

Attachments

• Filename
    rocky_20.rar
    File size
    987.56 KiB
    Downloads
    115 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29 of 30, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! I'm the author of that Aztech card table. The AZT2316 lacks a wavetable synth for sure. It would have to be provided by either AZT3320 or ICS WaveFront ICs. I think I misread the AD chip on the MMSN843. What is used there is the AD1845, in place of a CS4231 they used historically. I will get that fixed in the table.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA