VOGONS

Question about Windows versions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Nodoyuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K6-III is overkill for DOS only (+you may run into issues with Win3.11; can it even work with a Voodoo?). Why do you really want Win3.11?

Well, it's not really a need for Win3.11, I thought that, as i'ts a program you launch from DOS, it could be good to have on the DOS machine... But I suposse Win3.11 games like Myst will play OK on Win9X, right?

Reply 21 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The very original release of Myst needs 3.x apparently, but our copy we purchased sometime in the mid 90's ran on Win95 so you may be ok.

The thing is you don't really need most of this stuff.
I cant think of a single dos game that wont run from booting into Win9x's version of dos (not counting speed issues)
the only win9x games that I have that don't like WinXP/2k is Return Fire and Road Rash, which are early Win95 games and Need for Speed 3, 4, Porsche which run fine on a mid level P3
I have very few dos games that are speed sensitive, so really I could run 99% of my games on my P3 1Ghz that can boot into pure dos.

But that's not the point!
I have a VLB 486 that runs Dos 6.22/Win3x
A PCI 486 that runs Win95
A duel P3 600 that duel boots Win2k and Win98SE (so can also drop back to dos) that I actually do most my retro gaming on, and there is NO good reason for that 2nd CPU!
A 1Ghz P3with Win98SE
A P4 that duel boots Win98SE/WinXP

and these are just my completed gaming systems, do I really need them all? definitely not. but do I want them? absolutely!
So if you want to run Win 3.11 then we totally get it here, we aren't trying to say you shouldn't, just its not actually required.

Reply 22 of 24, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

K6-III is overkill for DOS only (+you may run into issues with Win3.11; can it even work with a Voodoo?). Why do you really want Win3.11?

With that said, there is certainly no harm in having a more powerful Win9x/ME machine, but neither is it mandatory. I don't think I ever encountered a game that was slowed down by my K6-2 rig, and could not work properly on WinXP (perhaps after a bit of patching).

There is a windows 3.11 driver out there for the voodoo 3.. I have a lot of fond memories playing windows 3.11 games as a kid and not all of them ran on windows 98.

As to a more powerful windows 98 machine.. half the fun is to see just how much overkill you can accomplish and half the fun is finding the right hardware that can run both windows 98 and windows XP without issues

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 23 of 24, by Nodoyuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So if you want to run Win 3.11 then we totally get it here, we aren't trying to say you shouldn't, just its not actually required.

Yes, I understand that... That's the reason I'm looking for advice, to see the required systems and the "I only want them because I can" systems