VOGONS

Forsaken - too many resolutions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by ggms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Ok Guys, thanks for the feedback and thoughts. I think keywords are only useful for giving the possibility for restricting the n […]
Show full quote

Ok Guys, thanks for the feedback and thoughts.
I think keywords are only useful for giving the possibility for restricting the number of resos in a hardware-independent way.
For all other cases, one can edit the config file and type the resolutions for their current display hardware.

So, to keep it all simple, I think 'max_4_3' and 'max_16_9' (meaning the max resolution for the given aspect ratio, based on the desktop resolution) could be enough.

Sorry for starting this again, I was busy so I had no time to make my own repack for this game testing newer version of dgVoodoo...now that I do, I'm still puzzled, maybe I'm missing something..
I STILL can't add default desktop resolution to ExtraEnumeratedResolutions by dgVoodoo alone automatically?
Let me explain...I have one monitor, 1920x1200 native resolution. Forsaken adds too much resolutions so I have to override it with combination of DefaultEnumeratedResolutions, ExtraEnumeratedResolutions or EnumeratedResolutionBitdepths. Thank you for that Dege. If I overlook EnumeratedResolutionBitdepths (yes, if I set only 32bit resolutions it will work but that not the point of my remark) and I use:
DefaultEnumeratedResolutions = classics
ExtraEnumeratedResolutions = max_16_9
I will get classic resolutions + 1920x1080.
max_16_10 does not exists (and it shouldn't in my opinion, it just complicates things...)...and I have no 1920x1200, my native monitor (and desktop) resolution.
Ok, so I tried ExtraEnumeratedResolutions = max, even if max is not described as possible option, to my suprise it is taken into account but as 1600x1200 resolution (?)

My point is - there is still no way I could use dgVoodoo.conf alone to make my setup universal to work with on diferent graphic card/monitor combinations without coding special [INI] modification during install that will write current desktop resolution in ExtraEnumeratedResolutions into dgVoodoo.conf 😢 I did that, it's easy but it would be so simpler if I can finally write ExtraEnumeratedResolutions=whatever,whatever,max where max is my current desktop resolution. I see no way to do that with 2.55.2 version, my Inno setup must read my resolution (I'm using get_hw_caps.dll) and write it exact, like 1920x1200.
Did you overlooked this by mistake maybe, I really see no reason why dgVoodoo can't read current monitor resolution and use it as max in ExtraEnumeratedResolutions. Max keyword is ok, but currently for 1920x1200 monitor it translates into 1600x1200, don't know why... 😢

Thanks,
regards

Reply 21 of 26, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

'max' wasn't designed to be accepted amongst ExtraEnumeratedResolutions parameters because all(?) old DX applications assume aspect ratio of 4:3 (era of the CRT's) and max_4_3 were introduced instead. max_16_9 was an extra.

'max' is accepted now accidentally but it is interpreted as 'max_4_3' that's why you get 1600x1200 instead of 1920x1200.

'max' could denote arbitrary aspect ratio, so it could make the wrapper enumerate a non-4:3 resolution which would result in distorted output. Is it a good idea? Does Forsaken support non-4:3 aspect ratios?

Reply 22 of 26, by ggms

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it supports all resolutions that graphics adapter can use.
Developers just did not count that in the future there could be that many available resolutions to choose from...so they limited game setup resolution list to fixed number of entries (every resolution that graphic adapter lists after that fixed maximum is simply not added to game video setup).
Sure max could denote arbitrary aspect ratio, it is a good thing. 😀

Reply 23 of 26, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, but the question is not about the number of the enumerated resolutions.
What happens when Forsaken chooses a non-4:3 resolution (like 1920x1200) for rendering? Does it detect that it's a widescreen resolution and calculates right FOV camera angles for rendering, or it just assumes 4:3 for FOV independently on resolution (and produces a stretched distorted image)?

The problem is the same as forcing a 4:3 game into a non-4:3 resolution externally through dgVoodoo.