VOGONS

Mount in Subdrives?

Topic actions

First post, by Warmango

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So my question is how would one mount drives as sub-folders inside a drive?

To further elaborate what i am talking about, Is i have a portable DOSBox, but i want it to mount two separate devices like so
>mount C:\usb E:\dosbox_c
>mount C:\hdd C:\dosbox_c

and be able to access both by going to C:\usb if i want to store files on the USB, or C:\hdd if i want to store files on the PC hard drive.

And apologies if i am posting in the wrong spot. this is literally the only forum i found that discussed DOSbox,

And for the record, NO, i cannot run 2nd hand bat files outside of DOSBox due to schools PC's being locked down and not being able to access CMD (required for a bat file in win10) because idiots kept remotely shutting the teachers PC off.

Reply 1 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Only way to do something like that is with symlinks in the filesystem of the host OS.

Reply 3 of 9, by Warmango

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't use symlinks with my PC as it is Windows 10, hence why I used LETTERS for the usbdrives. Otherwise the config would look like this
>mount C:/usb /mnt/(drivename)
>mount C:/hdd ~/dosbox/C/

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

what you want, can't be done by dosbox.

We would have to add it, but I see no compelling reason to do so.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just don't understand the need - why do these need to be subdirectories under the DOSBOX C drive? Why not just mount different drives in DOSBox?

Mount C:\DOSBOX_C C
Mount E:\DOSBOX_C E

or something along these lines?

BTW, you can make symlinks in Windows (since Vista), but does DOSBox properly pass them?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 9, by Warmango

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would've made my life easier so that I could just launch it and my DOSBox would have no issues access my PC and my USB,

Reply 7 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see how the above suggestion would have "issues" accessing PC and USB.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 9, by Warmango

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

I don't see how the above suggestion would have "issues" accessing PC and USB.

It makes it easier to have all my drives mounted in one place, so I can simply plug in my Portable DOSBox and it would mount the drive at once,

Reply 9 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of us is obviously missing something fundamental here. I'll have to assume it's me, because I am not even sure what you mean by "portable DOSBox", since DOSBox is inherently portable, and what do you mean by "plug it in".