Reply 8980 of 27412, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ssokolow wrote:
PTherapist wrote:
root42 wrote:

I installed Windows 3.11 on my 286@12MHz with 1 MiB of RAM. That is pushing the limits. 😀 It's pretty fast, but I can only run one program at a time... But the AdLib works and I can listen to canyon.mid. Totally worth it! Still having trouble with the OSSC to show the whole picture ... image quality is good, though!

I too have 3.11 installed on the same spec of PC. It is quite usable, like you noted, with 1 program at a time. I reckon with a bit more RAM, 3.11 on a 286 would run quite nicely.

Reminds me of the 386 with 2MiB and Windows 3.1 that was our first family computer. (As opposed to playing around on my father's work laptops.)

Yeah, I am thinking about putting in another Megabyte of RAM and a NIC so I can run a wordprocessor and print stuff. 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8981 of 27412, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Moving my stuff from a temp location to another temp location. Luckily this time it's inside the house - from one floor to the attic. I hope to have a dedicated room ready by the winter and be done with moving my stuff for a while 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8982 of 27412, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Created Retention Module for using S939/AM2/AM3 Coolers on Intel Xeon S771 Platform (HP ML350 G5):

photo_2018-06-26_10-29-15.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-06-26_10-29-15.jpg
File size
139.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
photo_2018-06-26_10-19-04.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-06-26_10-19-04.jpg
File size
102.41 KiB
Views
File license
photo_2018-06-25_20-49-55.jpg
Filename
photo_2018-06-25_20-49-55.jpg
File size
141.78 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2978717

My Machine:

xeon.jpg
Filename
xeon.jpg
File size
183.95 KiB
Views
File license
xeon2.jpg
Filename
xeon2.jpg
File size
67.45 KiB
Views
File license

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8983 of 27412, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent 😁 I love seeing 3D printers used to adapt stuff like that

This evening's activity - someone gave me a beige PS2 keyboard, so I removed the keys / top bezel part and stuck it in the dishwasher, much better 😀

Reply 8984 of 27412, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought an Asus Eee PC 4G mini-notebook, which was designed to run Windows XP (even has a license + activation code sticker on it), at my local pawn shop for $40. When I bought it, I knew it was dirty, but man, it took me 3 hours to clean it and a mountain of Q-tips and coffee filters, and at least half a cup of 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean nearly all of it. Just have a look for yourself.

R7soCoBl.jpg

Right now, it sits mostly disassembled until a replacement CMOS battery comes in the mail from ebay. I'm also waiting on a 4GB SODIMM stick of DDR2-800MHz RAM as well to see how much RAM and what speed RAM this laptop supports, because in Asus's documentation, there is absolutely nothing regarding the specs of this PC.

BGJ1QL0l.jpg

I might also later down the line buy a new mSATA SSD and battery for this thing. Have no clue what I am going to use it for, but hey, it looks like a cool little piece of tech from the mid-2000's, so isn't that enough of a reason? 😀

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8985 of 27412, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's using an N270 or stronger CPU, you can use it to run Munt (as long as it's built using SSE2 instructions).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8986 of 27412, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

If it's using an N270 or stronger CPU, you can use it to run Munt (as long as it's built using SSE2 instructions).

Well, here's a good pic of the CPU in the laptop:

Vf4BYF5l.jpg

The only reference I can find for this CPU is from CPU-World (http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLAFK.html). There, it states that this CPU is a variant of the Intel SL7F7 (http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL7F7.html), aka the Intel Celeron M 353, which can be looked up on Intel's website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/suppo … processors.html). The only difference between the two seems to be their "package type" (the SLAFK uses a "479-ball lead-free Micro-FCBGA" package type, while the SL7F7 uses a "479-ball Micro-FCBGA" package type; seems to me an extremely small difference).

So, is this that powerful? I have no clue.

Last edited by ultra_code on 2018-11-05, 21:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8987 of 27412, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

this thing runs underclocked celeron m, pentium 3 performance 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8988 of 27412, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, here's a good pic of the CPU in the laptop

That is a Celeron 900 MHz 512K cache processor :3, that netbook can be a light Windows XP gaming machine for games from 1998 up to 2003

The very first netbook (The EeePC 900) used the same exact processor

Reply 8990 of 27412, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rodoko wrote:

Well, here's a good pic of the CPU in the laptop

That is a Celeron 900 MHz 512K cache processor :3, that netbook can be a light Windows XP gaming machine for games from 1998 up to 2003

The very first netbook (The EeePC 900) used the same exact processor

In the 4G version (or 701SD how it was locally named) it ran not at 900mhz but at ~600mhz.
There is a hacked bios available to get it higher.
To get the full 900mhz you best can get a EEE-pc 900.

I have a crapload of these systems around and they are easy to maintain and modify.
The versions with atom are substantially stronger then the first celeron versions.

And if you are a real modder, a russion guy has replaced the soldered cpu on the mainboard of an eee-pc.. 🤣 https://liliputing.com/2012/08/asus-eee-pc-th … ng-the-cpu.html

Reply 8991 of 27412, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Destroyed the Compaq 6910P I just got not even 48 hours ago.

Accidentally broke out one of the tail lights on my relatives vehicle backing out which means I won't see any of the money from the first paycheck from my shitty minimum wage job. My reponse was to underarm punch the laptop straight against the screen which bent the screen in and then slam the entire unit over my knee bending it into a V shape (I did this infront of my uncle who got pissed at me, like motherfucker I own this laptop I will do whatever the f*** I want with it. Shoulda bent it into a V shape with his skull in retrospect). I don't remember very much of what I did after this except self harm and mix sleeping pills and pain killers (I hit the laptop with the hand that already has messed up knuckles from hitting a concrete wall a few years back). Hard drive is probably gone (it was running when I did this) and the battery is f***ed but I should be able to salvage the 2x2GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs, the T7300 CPU and maybe a few other small parts. I'm more mad at myself for breaking my own cardinal rule about destroying usable retro-tech than I was mad about myself for the original incident (and it turns out the break light assembly was actually only 30 bucks, less than the laptop....)

It was a well built laptop, unfortunately it was near me at the wrong time. I just can't control myself anymore 🤣. I guess I'll just buy another when I find another job befitting of my qualifications. It's not like I don't have 10 others laptops in the mean time.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 8992 of 27412, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that your uncle's vehicle? If so rather understandable he was less than amused with your driving - and less than impressed with your sad and misplaced aggression towards that laptop. Destroying the hardware we are passionate about here in a fit of rage is worse than pointless. It's bad enough that people who have no appreciation for old hardware trash the stuff accidentally. If you have issues, get them sorted (might also help with a better job).

Last edited by dionb on 2018-06-27, 18:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8993 of 27412, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Accidentally broke out one of the tail lights on my relatives vehicle backing out which means I won't see any of the money from the first paycheck from my shitty minimum wage job. My reponse was to underarm punch the laptop straight against the screen which bent the screen in and then slam the entire unit over my knee bending it into a V shape (I did this infront of my uncle who got pissed at me, like motherfucker I own this laptop I will do whatever the f*** I want with it. Shoulda bent it into a V shape with his skull in retrospect). I don't remember very much of what I did after this except self harm and mix sleeping pills and pain killers (I hit the laptop with the hand that already has messed up knuckles from hitting a concrete wall a few years back). Hard drive is probably gone (it was running when I did this) and the battery is f***ed but I should be able to salvage the 2x2GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs, the T7300 CPU and maybe a few other small parts. I'm more mad at myself for breaking my own cardinal rule about destroying usable retro-tech than I was mad about myself for the original incident (and it turns out the break light assembly was actually only 30 bucks, less than the laptop....)

It was a well built laptop, unfortunately it was near me at the wrong time. I just can't control myself anymore 🤣. I guess I'll just buy another when I find another job befitting of my qualifications. It's not like I don't have 10 others laptops in the mean time.

You might want to get some help with anger management.

I work retail and I talk to people all the time who break their expensive devices for no reason other than a lack of self control when someone posts something they don't like. Its a horrible waste of resources and could be remedied with a bit of professional help and a genuine desire to improve the situation.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8994 of 27412, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

[...]

You are no better than the fucker who destroyed all those rare voodoo cards... Aren't you embarrassed to post storys like this? Just the notion that, just because you own something you can destroy it and everybody has to be cool with that is so ridiculous. Just take that concept to something actually rare and valuable.. If I owned and destroyed all 6 Shelby Cobra Daytonas just because I can anybody has to right to call me the asshole that I would be.

/rant end

Reply 8996 of 27412, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

He can destroy whatever he want, as long as it's his property. We are talking about mass-market consumer electronics here, so stay cool.

There is a difference between a legal right and being morally right. And I have all the legal right to be morally upset about such behaviour. Good think it was only a shitty laptop, next time the rage hits him something more valuable could be next to him.

Reply 8997 of 27412, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

This is like the equivalent of a 40 year old bragging he beat up a high school kid. It has to be a troll/fake story, haha.

Now if it actually is true, seek mental help and stop being poor.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8998 of 27412, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You people are way too uptight. It's not like the laptop was even worth the time of day.

I support occasional emotional outbursts.

https://youtu.be/PGy7bpf9ibo?t=1m25s

Jack Nicholson is a legend.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8999 of 27412, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Geez, he did not break his cat in half, why everybody is so concerned about some common laptop.

Here are some refreshing videos for those in concern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLqTSUI-NdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3OlkwESmYM