VOGONS

Common searches

DOS Development Forum?

Topic actions

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there an appropriate board on here for discussing software (especially game) development under old OSes such as MSDOS?

Reply 3 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This would probably be the closest. Would probably make more sense to add a General Development forum under Magrathea tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 27, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here or on vcfed http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?1 … ter-Programming

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5 of 27, by Karm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would really prefer a board here, which is dedicated to Development Software on old Systems (DOS, Win3.1, Win95...),
because there are so many topics you could talk about and experience you could share.
Starting by the different compilers, IDEs up to complete Engines or Software, which has been created.
Different Languages, common mistakes and work arounds.
The DOS board is a general board, so knowledge will get lost easily and the specific topics are more about the Hardware and not the Software.
It would also be good to have some software references, to know at which point what software was available.
Especially development software is hard to obtain these days, because just a minority used it, while the programs developed have been used and conserved by a bunch of people.
Also it could be a good place to present new software which was created for the old Systems.

Reply 7 of 27, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently I installed Turbo C on my 286 project. I only have floppy drives so far, but it was awesome. That's where I learnt C first. Having a forum would be great. My bucket list still contains 'write your own adventure game engine'. And I would of course do it for retro PCs.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be happy for a forum here for that. Somewhere on my To-Do list are a couple of ideas for DOS programming projects.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 13 of 27, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
capitaine wrote:

Depend on what kind of code one would make.

ASM is required for drivers / kernel / bios dev / reverse engineering.
But you can dev many things in Pascal, C, C++, Basic. To name a few !

Yes, I think it can be fun to do stuff in C / Pascal / Basic from the time, but after using modern variants of those languages, going back is a bit painful. Assembler on the other hand is simply what it is... Plus, if we want to push the boundaries of what has been achieved on those platforms, I think there is no way around assembler. And I really want to see people push the limits on a 8088 (see 8088 mph), 80286 or later machines. I think we haven't yet seen peak performance of the machines from the late 80s / early 90s.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 15 of 27, by Vulturius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too would like to see something I can follow and learn from. My experience with ASM is trying to get some examples running from tutorials, but that's it. Really interested though for a looooong time.

Reply 16 of 27, by DosWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am also looking for developers forum.

My expirience:
I had develop tiny-basic 16-bit compiler for DOS in C (status: compiler - done, vm - done, graphics+fxsound library - done, I try to finalize fm-sound and develop more games for compiler-examples),
also have expirience in asm and C--.

CPU: Amd K6/450, RAM: 256M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: EWS64XXL/64M
CPU: iP/100, RAM: 16M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: SB AWE32
IBM Aptiva, CPU i486DX/80, RAM: 96M
Compaq Contura 4/25 2820D, CPU: i486SX/25, RAM: 4M, VGA.
HP 200LX/2M

Reply 17 of 27, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are 2 other active 'forums' that I know of:
1. FreeDOS developer's mailing list:
https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/freedos-devel/
2. DOS ain't dead forum
https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum.php

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 18 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to second the motion for a DOS development forum.

I've been trying for years to make a new DOS platformer.

DosWorld wrote:

I had develop tiny-basic 16-bit compiler for DOS in C (status: compiler - done, vm - done, graphics+fxsound library - done, I try to finalize fm-sound and develop more games for compiler-examples),

This sounds interesting, is there a download link somewhere where I can try it out?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.