VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3680 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
What sort of weird computer and/or monitor do you have? I haven't seen a 1440p monitor without a digital input and I haven't see […]
Show full quote
batterymandark wrote:

4: Yes I don't have any port on the monitor for the Intel GPU to run on, any higher than VGA 1080p. My monitor is 1440p

What sort of weird computer and/or monitor do you have? I haven't seen a 1440p monitor without a digital input and I haven't seen a DX10/11 capable GPU without a digital output (well except on server hardware). The reason I'm asking is what you're doing is obsessive levels of caring about image quality, combined with not outputting at native resolution. It doesn't make any sense.

batterymandark wrote:

320x200 and 640x400 as I figured out is 16:10 , but 320x240 and 640x480 is 4:3

320x200 and 640x400 aren't 16:10 resolutions. They're both 4:3 resolutions. Here have some reading material:
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/FelipePepe/20 … spect_ratio.php
If a game treats 320x200 and 640x400 as 16:10, it's doing something wrong. Not that it's terribly uncommon for 3D games to get this wrong, I'm just saying seeing 320x200 and 640x400 as "this game supports 16:10" is wrong.

It have digital inputs, I just don't have enough inputs to run them all in native 1440p. So my 3rd gpu have to run on a DP-VGA cable
My NVIDIA runs on HDMI , and my AMD on DVI and DP "its a dual gpu"
I'm sorry if i'm seems ignorant, but i'm just trying to speak my mind.
But I see your point that 320x200 and 640x400 is used as 4:3 resolution, however when i'm calculate aspect ratio i simply use an ratio calculator. and i got 16:10

Reply 3681 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know this is getting very off topic, but why not just get an automatic HDMI switch and whatever passive adapters you need? Should be 15$ at most, considering you have two computers I don't think you have that limited funds. It's just a weird thing for someone to be obsessive enough about image quality to care about downsampling in integer factors yet give up on native resolution so easily. Personally I would rather keep manually switching cables than give up that image quality and I couldn't care less about downsampling in integer factors.

batterymandark wrote:

But I see your point that 320x200 and 640x400 is used as 4:3 resolution, however when i'm calculate aspect ratio i simply use an ratio calculator. and i got 16:10

Aspect ratio calculators aren't meant for CRT resolutions.

Reply 3682 of 3949, by batterymandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aspect ratio calculators aren't meant for CRT resolutions.

Fair point, I don't want to argue on something like that.

About the image quality thing, I was just testing how well the game run on intel graphic , and its still manage to run the game in 4k, and 4k looks better if down sampling back to 1080p.
Some game are okey to run in higher resolution but doesn't like anti aliasing. I was trying a work around.

I have been thinking on getting a HDMI switch,
but as for now, I don't have it. I'm using a program to swap monitor configuration with a hot-key. Its very easy to swap when doing game testing, and I do only have 1 computer.

But at least one request still stand, maybe at the advance "config file" feature. and that is scaling from the monitor resolution. similar to how nvidia dsr do it.

Reply 3683 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah it's a perfectly valid feature request, I was just saying if you were running non-native resolution that downsampling seemed an odd place to start improving picture quality.

Anyway, three more games I tested, first Black Moon Chronicles doesn't work. It's a simple 2D game and behaves similar to Wetrix, so I'm guessing same cause here.

Mayday: Conflict Earth seems to work just fine. 2D game, but can benefit nicely from integer scaling if you like that for games like this. Though I wouldn't recommend playing this game at all.

Mayday 2018-06-27 23-00-33-19.png
Filename
Mayday 2018-06-27 23-00-33-19.png
File size
193.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dominion Wars just crashes at launch. The reason might be somewhere on this page: http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/index.html (yes, same guy that made the fix for Dangerous Waters)

If you use both that ddraw patch and dgVoodoo2 however it works, performance was really bad on the PC I tested it on (said computer has weird performance problems of its own so I have to test it on another computer later), the game is usually locked at 800x600 so resolution forcing can be very beneficial (can't force texture filtering though). The installer for this game doesn't seem to work properly on newer OS so I had to use Universal Extractor to unpack the game's files.

ds9dw 2018-06-27 22-13-55-89.jpg
Filename
ds9dw 2018-06-27 22-13-55-89.jpg
File size
307.17 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: while I'm at it, let's check if Klingon Academy works, another game fixed by the same guy, this one with a more extensive wrapper that makes the game D3D9. So whether that wrapper or dgVoodoo2 is best for this game is up to the fans (and obviously if they have a D3D11 capable GPU). It seems to work though, higher internal resolutions are very rough on performance. Forced resolutions are fine though. This game has bad UI scaling and dgVoodoo2 can be helpful with this.

ka 2018-06-28 02-26-19-12.jpg
Filename
ka 2018-06-28 02-26-19-12.jpg
File size
427.57 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3684 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Monopoly Tycoon works great, no specific advantages to running it in dgVoodoo2 though and you'll need WinXP if you want working music.

mc 2018-06-29 13-26-54-81.jpg
Filename
mc 2018-06-29 13-26-54-81.jpg
File size
688.43 KiB
Views
File license

Lego Soccer Mania has severe rendering glitches in menus and some in gameplay. It works fine natively. Here's a video showing you what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoq8VqQoqYI
Sorry about the frame skipping, all I had to capture with was Fraps and it hated this game, plus the game randomly crashes when scanning for profiles. There's a demo here:
https://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/5775- … -demo-download/

4x4 Evo2 is another game that dgVoodoo2 says is DllMain, the setup menu displays just fine, but starting the game crashes. Works natively though.

Reply 3685 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BMickey wrote:

Next issue I found is missing blue bars representing car damages. Native version (only known Win7 patch applied) has them, see comparison.

repair_dg_ng.jpg
repair_native_ok.jpg

Fixed.

CoolGamer wrote:

ZellSF, does Full Throttle run on your computer via dgVoodoo? On my windows 7 laptop, the game EXE starts and instantly closes when I try to run it via dgVoodoo.

The game works fine without any problems when I remove dgVoodoo dlls from game folder. That's why I reported it as a bug.

And this one too.

ZellSF wrote:

Also a feature request to consider, can you easily add a "stretched, don't keep aspect ratio" mode for dgVoodoo2 scaling? Being able to override driver scaling even if I want stretching would be nice. For example if due to some weirdness a game doesn't support 16:9, but "close enough" that stretching isn't too harmful to aspect ratio.

Of course it's pretty easy for me to just change driver settings whenever that happens and in many cases forcing resolution would work. So it's pretty much a "if it's only a few minutes of work" feature request.

Yes, it could be added. I'll have to reconsider the names of the scaling modes if fake fullscreen as a feature comes into play anyway.

Reply 3686 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dominion Wars on my GTX 1070/i7 4790k setup I get constant 60 FPS. On my GTX 680/i7 860 I got drop downs to 10 FPS. While there is a huge performance disparity between those computers it shouldn't be a 600% disparity. Not related to dgVoodoo2 though, there's just something weird with that computer.

Edit: Also tried Lego Island 2, an earlier game by the developer of Lego Soccer Mania, to see if it had the same issue. I already know their later games (Drome Racers) work perfectly. I didn't test their UEFA soccer games though which I suspect might use the same engine as Lego Soccer Mania. Mainly because I don't want anything with UEFA in its name anywhere near my computer. At any rate, Lego Island 2 works fine. Usually limited to 1280x1024, but there's a resolution hack available for it.

LEGO Island 2_2018_06_29_22_37_39_344.jpg
Filename
LEGO Island 2_2018_06_29_22_37_39_344.jpg
File size
270.8 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3687 of 3949, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently I'm getting a download failed for 2.55.2 in both Chrome and Firefox, and IE. Looks like windows defender has it flagged as malicious. If you disable defender it will let you download. FYI. I already submitted feedback to M$ to state it is safe.

Reply 3688 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you press Win key while dgVoodoo wrapped game is running in fullscreen to return to desktop and open start menu and then press it again to close the menu, then the game is restored, which doesn't happen natively. Same thing happens if you alt-tab to another application and close said application. Intentional or DXGI quirk?

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3691 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
V15UAL K3YS wrote:

Thanks! This works really well! Is it alright if I post it online (both versions) crediting you as the one who "patched" the exe?

Yes, feel free to do it! 😀

brad86 wrote:

Is the Tomb Raider 4 engine not that well suited for DgVoodoo?

Playing some of the more popular mods for the game really hammer the framerate down.

It is fine without the wrapper, but I prefer using it anyway for all Tomb Raiders.

Which mod? Can I download it from somewhere?

UCyborg wrote:

If you press Win key while dgVoodoo wrapped game is running in fullscreen to return to desktop and open start menu and then press it again to close the menu, then the game is restored, which doesn't happen natively. Same thing happens if you alt-tab to another application and close said application. Intentional or DXGI quirk?

Lost state of old DirectX (also emulated in dgVoodoo) should only rely on losing(/regaining) focus of the game rendering window, regardless what causing it (Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Alt-Del, or sg).

Reply 3692 of 3949, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Yes, feel free to do it! :) […]
Show full quote
V15UAL K3YS wrote:

Thanks! This works really well! Is it alright if I post it online (both versions) crediting you as the one who "patched" the exe?

Yes, feel free to do it! 😀

brad86 wrote:

Is the Tomb Raider 4 engine not that well suited for DgVoodoo?

Playing some of the more popular mods for the game really hammer the framerate down.

It is fine without the wrapper, but I prefer using it anyway for all Tomb Raiders.

Which mod? Can I download it from somewhere?

UCyborg wrote:

Lost state of old DirectX (also emulated in dgVoodoo) should only rely on losing(/regaining) focus of the game rendering window, regardless what causing it (Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Alt-Del, or sg).

It happens with a few of the mods I have played, but 'Dracula's Return' is a good one to see it crap out right after starting a new game.

Mod download: http://www.trle.net/scadm/trle_dl.php?lid=2662

Reply 3693 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote:

Dege wrote:

Seems to be related to Classic Shell. I don't experience the described behavior of alt-tab on Windows 10 though. The latter's got enough other bugs anyway.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3694 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brad86 wrote:

It happens with a few of the mods I have played, but 'Dracula's Return' is a good one to see it crap out right after starting a new game.

Thanks, I tried it but works for me without a problem. 30 fps (capped by the game) on my Intel Graphics 530 at 1280x1024. Aren't you having settings like MSAA, too large resolution and such enabled, or ReShade, when running it through dgVoodoo?

Reply 3695 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apparently H.E.D.Z does not work with dgVoodoo2 (crashes in D3DImm.dll?)

I've tried and it doesn't work with dgVoodoo2 or natively here either. DxWnd and WineD3D however both go ingame (though they both have various other issues). Demo here:
https://archive.org/details/swizzle_demu_Hedz

Reply 3696 of 3949, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
brad86 wrote:

Thanks, I tried it but works for me without a problem. 30 fps (capped by the game) on my Intel Graphics 530 at 1280x1024. Aren't you having settings like MSAA, too large resolution and such enabled, or ReShade, when running it through dgVoodoo?

Thank you for trying it for me.

I am running on a I5 2400 and GTX 960.

I don't lower the resolution as I have the games patched to 1920x1080. MSSA disabled didn't help and I have no Reshade or any post processing running.

Here are my settings, but changing them seems to make no difference.

wgQc.png

Reply 3697 of 3949, by AngryLittleAlchemist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can someone help me? I'm completely new to this forum and I know this thread isn't about one game specifically but I really need help ...

My copy of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow will not work with the widescreen patch. I did everything I possibly could, I reinstalled the game countless times, installed the widescreen fix countless times, I even manually installed Voodoo separately and put it into the folder and even got the game to run cracked because I heard it was the fault of the DRM.

I'm by no means a technical person so that might have all sounded like gibberish. If so, I am sorry. Let me just get to the point to be more clear ...

Here is the error I get every time :
History: UObject::StaticAllocateObject <- (NULL None) <- UObject::StaticConstructObject <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

It probably sounds like this is unrelated, but this only happens when I use Voodoo/the D38D.ll file (I forget the name, that might be the wrong name but hopefully you get the point)

I desperately need help. If anyone can offer some thanks.

Reply 3698 of 3949, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strange, the last version of dgVoodoo v2.55.2 according to windows defender has a virus called "Trojan:Win32/CryptInject", anyway with the dgVoodooWIP48, gabriel knight 3 has now white textures

Qe6BuzSm.jpg
ENw1n08m.jpg

And with jedi knight 2 dark forces there is a sorta of a regression about the fps, from 30 fps now i've 25 fps, with windows xp fps were at 60 😕

Reply 3699 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arklay wrote:

Strange, the last version of dgVoodoo v2.55.2 according to windows defender has a virus called "Trojan:Win32/CryptInject"

It's not strange, it only shows the stability and reliability of AV detection algorhytms. The binary changes a bit and voila, suddenly it becomes infected. 😁 😁 😁

GK3 however works fine for me with 2.55.2.