VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been putting a lot of work into organizing my 'games corner' lately, here's something I didn't even realize until I started going through everything. It looks like I have most of a complete Prince of Persia run, at least counting an example of each game, with a few exceptions. I wasn't deliberately trying to 'complete the set', but I do love the series. Some of these are my own original media from back in the day, most are more recent scores:

all the prince all the time - sized.jpg
Filename
all the prince all the time - sized.jpg
File size
252.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Unfortunately I can't find my DOS copy of PoP1 although I know I had one. My 'originals' start chronologically with the shareware version of PoP II, bought by my young self from one of those shovelware racks they used to have at the front of stores, although a bonus battered floppy of 'Prince of Persia 4D' snuck in there which I got off a BBS sometime in the early '90s. (4D is probably one of the first modern-type "rom"hacks to get widely spread around.) And yes, Arabian Nights / PoP 3D is a burned Dreamcast CD from ~2005. It still works. 😜 I'll pick up a legit copy eventually if I find it cheap (probably the Windows version as real Dreamcast games are getting stupid expensive.)

The biggest obvious gaps are:
- Handhelds - there are a few original titles for GBA & NDS that I'd love to pick up (not counting ports, i.e. the original Prince game on GB/GBC or Revelations on PSP, which is just Warrior Within.)
- I'd love to have a DOS/Mac or Apple II disk of the original PoP, although I might just make up a reproduction. The first game is included as a port (from the Mac) on the Sands of Time discs for Xbox/PS2 and on Forgotten Sands for Wii (from the NES), so it is represented here.
- The only copy of Two Thrones I have is part of that 3-disc collection (for PC.) I'll probably grab a standalone copy for Xbox/PS2 as it sells for next to nothing.
- I am aware that Forgotten Sands is almost an entirely different game between all the platforms it's on. Not going to bother with the PS3/360 versions, as I don't have either console, unless I find them dirt cheap (like $2 or less.)

What else am I missing?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a Prince of Persia + Prince of Persia 2 DOS CD out there. I don't know how official that compilation is, but I got one as part of a gaming magazine subscription some time in 1996. It had the updated and slightly improved versions of both games.

Sands of Time for GBA is another interesting game (I played it at one time via Visual Boy Advance). It is a 2D platformer, using some graphical assets and concepts from "Sands of Time" (things like wall-running, time-rewinding, etc), but is a completely different game, and also nothing like the original PoP+PoP2 in terms of the mechanics. I liked it, and it's a good challenge.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 12, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

pop1 and 2 are best on mac, can be played in emu

they also have android remakes that can be played in emu.

Better even than PC with an MT-32 ?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 6 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tpowell.ca wrote:
robertmo wrote:

Better even than PC with an MT-32 ?

Graphics are higher res, and in PoP1, also more colorful. But not everyone likes the style.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 12, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are these files in mac pop2 version

DIGISnd.dat
MIDISnd.dat
NISMIDI.dat
NISDIGI.dat

I don't know if they can be used with some wavetable synth.

What I here in minivmac doesn't sound nice compared to mt-32

Reply 8 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

POP1 and 2 are best on Amiga emulating a Mac.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 12, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ L0L, not going to that much trouble. What makes them better on an Amiga than a real Mac? AFAIK the native Amiga Prince is nearly identical to the DOS version.

I do have a couple retro Macs around that can play them & a IIe that I want to get PoP1 running on, just to see where it all began. I grew up with the DOS versions so they're kind of my reference. Incidentally the "Win95/98" half of the Win+Mac PoP2 CD I have up there just installs the DOS version (poorly configured) with a Win9x wrapper.

Mobygames list so many spinoffs, ports, cash-ins, and knockoffs of the series it's almost hard to keep track of what's what. Like, did you know Blackberry & J2ME devices (only!) got a completely original side-scroller title also called The Two Thrones? (And please tell me some of that "original" artwork wasn't scanned from umm... adult entertainment.)

I definitely want to pick up the GBA Sands of Time and The Fallen King for the DS, since I actually have one; interesting tries to take two different rebooted Princes back to the roots of the series. 😜 There's also a turn-based strategy game on the DS...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

^^ L0L, not going to that much trouble. What makes them better on an Amiga than a real Mac? AFAIK the native Amiga Prince is nearly identical to the DOS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jph0gxzL3UI

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 12, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

What else am I missing?

The Super Famicom port of the first game by Arsys Software, which IMO is a thing of beauty. 😊

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 12 of 12, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Like, did you know Blackberry & J2ME devices (only!) got a completely original side-scroller title also called The Two Thrones? (And please tell me some of that "original" artwork wasn't scanned from umm... adult entertainment.)

In its early years Gameloft was (in)famous for things like that, nearly all their games included "spicy" images 🤣