VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There should be an option in the driver settings for enabling/disabling SLI mode. Even running on a single V2, EAW in GLIDE mode may be just as smooth as D3D mode on your GF3, but you're limited to 800x600 resolution. Beyond 1024x768, fonts become difficult to read.

I recommend the FastVoodoo2 drivers. Versions 4.0 and 4.6 both work well.

Reply 21 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just put together a Socket A system for fun. NF7 S2, XP3200+, two gigs of DDR 400, a 500 gig SATA drive, XP SP3 with all of the latest updates, and an Nvidia 6800 GT. I decided to try installing Jane's WW-2 Fighters, the first time I've done so since maybe 2003? Initially the game had terrible artifacts which rendered it unplayable. I went from the 307.90 driver back to the 275.33 (the oldest one available for download from Nvidia). That made all of the difference, and the game works perfectly now. I'm going to install some of the mods I had saved, but I'm sad to find that I don't have Rammjager's P51D V2 on the CD I had saved my downloaded mods to, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere on the web.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 22 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems there is some interest in WW2 Fighters here at VOGONS. When I get a chance I'll upload my copy of the Base Mods CD somewhere. Your missing P51D mod is likely available on that disc.

Reply 23 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

It seems there is some interest in WW2 Fighters here at VOGONS. When I get a chance I'll upload my copy of the Base Mods CD somewhere. Your missing P51D mod is likely available on that disc.

I hope so, but I have my doubts. Rammjager didn't release his P-51D V2 until July of 2003. It was probably one of the last, if not the last, major mods done to Jane's, and one of the best.

Note the reflections in the instrument glass. They moved as the light source changed.

I took those screen shots in 2004, so imagine how good it could look with newer hardware with the AA cranked up.

Attachments

Last edited by Repo Man11 on 2021-03-01, 03:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jane's spurred my interest in PCs. I the spring of 2001 had a Socket 7 AT machine that was based on a Cybermax computer that came with a Biostar MB8500TVX. I had upgraded the Cyrix CPU to an Evergreen upgrade CPU (Winchip), but I saw my neighbor play this game and I knew I had to be able to play it. Then I read Oldie Tuning on Tom's Hardware http://www.thg.ru/howto/20000725/onepage.html and I saw a way to affordably use what I had (AT case, PSU, 72 pin SIMMs) while getting the CPU performance needed to adequately play the game. So I bought a P55T2P4 on Ebay, and picked up a K6-2+ 475 and a Pine 32 meg PCI TNT2 from Tiger Direct. I had to leave the settings turned down to get acceptable frame rates, but for the money it was a good return on investment.

Reply 25 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I've located my copy of the Base Mods CD. However, it looks like PogoPlug went tits-up in November of last year without any notification or warnings. Nice. So, without PogoPlug I no longer have any free cloud storage.

I checked my disc and it has Rammjager's P51D V1 mod on it. That's OK though, because I was able to locate a copy of the V2 mod elsewhere.

Does anybody else have a way of receiving it and then uploading it somewhere? It's about 550 MB total. How can I get this to you?

Reply 26 of 48, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to say PM and email but the file size is way over the limit in my case, surely there is another way someone can think of.

I'm guilty of forgetting about this post, will try to fire up my XP system tonight and see if Jane's will run on it ok. May be tough sledding with a Geforce 7950GT but we'll see.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 28 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before anybody gets their panties all twisted up: The WW2 Fighters Base Mods CD contains no commercial or copyrighted content. It is all fan-created mods for WW2 Fighters. It is not illegal to share it. The creators of the disc encouraged users to share it. At one time, there were download links on their website where you could get it for free.

I'll create a torrent tomorrow and give it to anybody who wants it. However, to avoid upsetting the mods here, I won't post any magnet links in this thread. Just PM me and I'll give it to you.

Please, if you download it from me, be kind to others and see if you can upload it to some cloud storage service where people can get it much faster and easier.

Errius: What was the long-lost IL-2 mod that you found? I'm curious because I like that sim as well.

One sim that I cannot find a complete set of mods for is Rowan's MiG Alley. I have almost everything for it but there are still a couple of old mods that I wasn't able to save before they dropped off the edge of the internet. I would love a complete set of mods for MiG Alley. It's a deeply flawed sim, but still oh-so-good.

Another bit of unobtainable software in my collection: Tumi's 3D Animated Cursors. These were awesome in the Win9x days and still work today, even under Win10. As far as I know, I have them all. However, long ago I rearranged them and made my own *.reg files for installing them in either NT or Win9x systems. While they aren't untouched, I believe them to be complete. Someday I'll clean them all up and share them out so that they can be enjoyed once again.

I've also got a crapload of old Win9x themes by Ooh Betty, Ingalill's Theme Creations, Patina's Treasures, Christina's Desktop Reflections, etc... I really enjoyed the themes back then.

Reply 29 of 48, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errius: What was the long-lost IL-2 mod that you found? I'm curious because I like that sim as well.

It was the HistorySFX (HSFX) mod, which was last updated 2 years ago and I couldn't get any of the download links to work when I tried to get it. I finally found it as a torrent.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 30 of 48, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

One sim that I cannot find a complete set of mods for is Rowan's MiG Alley. I have almost everything for it but there are still a couple of old mods that I wasn't able to save before they dropped off the edge of the internet

In the interest of driving this thread even further off-topic (sorry Buckeye), what are you looking for?

Reply 31 of 48, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well installed Jane's WW2 Fighters on my XP system and the intro menus all look good but as I start flying you can tell the graphics is messed up: half a plane missing, cockpit instruments not clear, bullet tracings green etc. Patching it up made no difference. Need to verify it's using opengl if I can find the ini file, read elsewhere the game looks for the opengl file in system not system32 so maybe that's the culprit.

Don't really want to mess with the Nvidia drivers since the rest of the games are working fine. Maybe tinkering with DGvoodoo might be feasible?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 32 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:

In the interest of driving this thread even further off-topic (sorry Buckeye), what are you looking for?

Check this link:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/ … tch#Post3648350

In that post, Thingol mentions a "BDG Keyboard Manager". The link is long dead and I've never been able to find a copy of that mod.

Reply 33 of 48, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KT7AGuy, see the attached file. I got it in June 2006 along with the other BDG files, but I don't recall where.

Attachments

• Filename
    KeybMan2_MiG_085_B.zip
    File size
    268.33 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Rowan MiG Alley BDG Keyboard Manager
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

akula65:

Thanks so much! You're a real asset to this community.

It's taken me awhile, but I finally have a torrent up for both the WW2 Fighters Base Mods CD and Rammjager's P51D V2 mod. Unfortunately, I'm using my netbook to seed the file so it's not going very fast. Just be patient and it will download eventually. Please PM me if you want it. I am hoping that several folks will download it, help seed it, and upload it somewhere so that others can enjoy it too.

Reply 35 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it, and thanks for your efforts, but after unzipping it, the P51DV2 folder is empty, and the base mods image is corrupted. 🙁

Reply 36 of 48, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Repo Man11:

Thanks for letting me know. I just ran the 7-Zip test and just as you reported, my file has lots of errors.

I'll create a new torrent and PM you and the others who requested it a new magnet link and torrent file.

My apologies to everybody who wanted this. I'll do better next time.

Reply 37 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No big deal, as I said I appreciate the effort. I just loaded this game on a computer for the first time in 14 years, it isn't as though I'm in a big hurry. 😀

Reply 38 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it, and the Sixgun Whore flies again! I haven't even hooked up my joystick to the system, I've just installed the game and some of the mods and been letting it fly on autopilot to have a look.

2m2be6c.jpg

Reply 39 of 48, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put together another system out of stuff I have lying around just for this: Asus M2NPV, X2 240, four gigs of DDR2, and XP SP3. I tried a Geforce 210 and a GTX650, but they both had the same problem of strange distortions. Unlike my 6800 GT, Nvidia didn't offer a driver for either that was old enough to get rid of the issue. I tried an HD 2400 XT, and it ran the game pretty well. But not as well as the 6800 GT AGP card in my P4 system. So I blew the dust off a PCIe 128 meg 6600 GT and installed the oldest driver Nvidia lists for it, and it's running smoothly even with 4x AA.