VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3700 of 3949, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2.55.2's download has a password on the zip file, though the spec release works alright. I am meaning to try out the original pre-patch release of Requiem, but at the moment the game will just crash when I try going ingame for the 3DFX.exe, regardless of voodoo version set, and input is completely lost when attempting the D3D version.

On an unrelated subject, I've been attempting to use dgvoodoo with older versions of Thief: The Dark Project, Thief Gold and Thief II. I've had mixed to reasonable results with the former two, but Thief II as is will not act correctly on screen changes from the menu to ingame, sometimes just crashing, and in Thief II's case there's been documented problems for years with it's fog not being rendered on modern GPUs or with modern DirectX.

This had been fixed with a community made directx wrapper titled ddfix, but ddfix carries it's own issues with regards to capturing the game. It wouldn't be a big deal except that the older versions of the Thief games have gained interest again recently with the thief speedrunning community, where the modern fan patched versions of the game have fixed alot of the older engine issues, but also fixed exploits of use to runners.

It's rather hard testing the game in demo form, as Thief 2's demo is based on an older engine that does not have fog and is effectively a different engine from the final game, and it was never even technically released, and most downloads of it today are fanmade versions using the new engine.

Reply 3702 of 3949, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:

Why do not simply use NewDark for T1(G) and T2? 😒

I clarified that already, the newdark engine fixes common issues pertaining to capturing the game, but it also changes a lot of physics properties and miscellaneous things that end up making it a bit slower for Thief II (in the case of Thief/Gold, that's a bit more of a contentious situation as the main fan patch used introduces it's own quirks that end up making it almost competitive with the old dark engine for speedruns). Being able to capture Thief II with 1.18 or even the original 1.07 release has been difficult for getting more runners into the game, as DDFIX tends to have odd quirks with OBS or Xsplit.

The main issue simply seems to be how the game transitions between window modes, and also possibly a conflict with stuff like it's broken fog. I'd be willing to share more info with the developer if they need any testing done. ddfix, for all it's problems, is open source and is a ready reference for some of the useful fixes it applies to the old dark engine for Thief II.

Reply 3703 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alberthamik wrote:
2.55.2's download has a password on the zip file, though the spec release works alright. I am meaning to try out the original pr […]
Show full quote

2.55.2's download has a password on the zip file, though the spec release works alright. I am meaning to try out the original pre-patch release of Requiem, but at the moment the game will just crash when I try going ingame for the 3DFX.exe, regardless of voodoo version set, and input is completely lost when attempting the D3D version.

On an unrelated subject, I've been attempting to use dgvoodoo with older versions of Thief: The Dark Project, Thief Gold and Thief II. I've had mixed to reasonable results with the former two, but Thief II as is will not act correctly on screen changes from the menu to ingame, sometimes just crashing, and in Thief II's case there's been documented problems for years with it's fog not being rendered on modern GPUs or with modern DirectX.

This had been fixed with a community made directx wrapper titled ddfix, but ddfix carries it's own issues with regards to capturing the game. It wouldn't be a big deal except that the older versions of the Thief games have gained interest again recently with the thief speedrunning community, where the modern fan patched versions of the game have fixed alot of the older engine issues, but also fixed exploits of use to runners.

It's rather hard testing the game in demo form, as Thief 2's demo is based on an older engine that does not have fog and is effectively a different engine from the final game, and it was never even technically released, and most downloads of it today are fanmade versions using the new engine.

1: The password is dege, listed on the front page. It's there because virus scanners flag the files (false positives) which leads to Dege's web page being delisted from Google and blocked by malware filters.

2: Have you applied single processor affinity to the .exe? When you're running an old legacy version of the software, you have to look up what the old compatibility fixes were... dgVoodoo2 only deals with rendering, it's not a generic compatibility fixer.

3: dgVoodoo2 does not like overlays (FRAPS, MSI OSD, etc...) with some games. Thief 2 is one of them.

4: Fog does work, but you might need to change dgVoodoo2's Videocard setting. The default mission files apparently also have broken fog, so you need to download fixed files. Read here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119731&page=2

thief2 2018-07-12 18-18-06-14.jpg
Filename
thief2 2018-07-12 18-18-06-14.jpg
File size
235.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

No clue why 3DFX rendering crashes for Requiem (nGlide works, native ddraw+dgVoodoo2 works, dgVoodoo2 windowed works, dgVoodoo2 fullscreen doesn't), but Direct3D rendering works fine here, no input issues.

Reply 3704 of 3949, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In regards to Requiem, I've been trying to help out some friends with capturing the game, as well as myself. nGlide works great with the game, but when it comes time to capturing it, it's an absolute nightmare. Requiem's bizarre coding of it's interface can sometimes take the mouse out of the window, and sometimes for certain people the game just doesn't want to run with native ddraw for menus and they are having bad luck with wrappers, even dgvoodoo2 and nGlide. Many more people report something about the game not having enough memory or something on starting it up. Requiem's problems are well beyond the scope of dgvoodoo 2, so yeah it isn't likely that these problems will get solved quickly, if ever.

As for Thief II, I am aware of it's myriad of famous issues, and I have already accounted for the main ones (CPU affinity for example). The fog part admittedly is not something I was the most worried about, I was simply bringing it up as I wasn't aware you could actually get it working. I'm going to test it out some more to see what was causing the game to intermittently crash sometimes. Thanks for the info there.

EDIT: So one thing I'm noticing upon start is that Thief II will start up in a windowed mode at the top-left corner of my screen. Going into gameplay corrects this. I solved that by changing dgvoodoo 2 to windowed mode, strangely. You were correct, changing the videocard brings back fog. OTOH, I died and the game crashed attempting to load up the "death" movie. This game is well known for it's (in the past) issues with video playback, and using dgvoodoo 2 they just get skipped, but regardless the game reacts by crashing upon trying to load the death video (though it seems to act fine with the briefing video, I assume because it's in a windowed state the game doesn't freak out from this). Another problem, and this is probably just due to me having default resolution settings, is upon pausing my mouse is confined to a small portion of the topleft of the screen.

Also, forgot to say thanks for the info on the locked zip file. I had missed that.

Reply 3705 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alberthamik wrote:

In regards to Requiem, I've been trying to help out some friends with capturing the game, as well as myself. nGlide works great with the game, but when it comes time to capturing it, it's an absolute nightmare. Requiem's bizarre coding of it's interface can sometimes take the mouse out of the window, and sometimes for certain people the game just doesn't want to run with native ddraw for menus and they are having bad luck with wrappers, even dgvoodoo2 and nGlide. Many more people report something about the game not having enough memory or something on starting it up. Requiem's problems are well beyond the scope of dgvoodoo 2, so yeah it isn't likely that these problems will get solved quickly, if ever.

There's already plenty of ways to get Requiem working. Capture might be worse (though in my experience Nvidia's capturing tools deals nicely with games that switch modes), but that's why many streamers have separate capture and gaming boxes.

alberthamik wrote:

EDIT: So one thing I'm noticing upon start is that Thief II will start up in a windowed mode at the top-left corner of my screen. Going into gameplay corrects this. I solved that by changing dgvoodoo 2 to windowed mode

Should not happen. Does not happen here on 1.18. Make sure you've added Thief 2 under "Config folder / Running instance", edit its config and set it to "Full Screen" and "Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state", also make sure no compatibility modes are applied to thief2.exe and that it isn't patched for use with ddfix.

alberthamik wrote:

OTOH, I died and the game crashed attempting to load up the "death" movie

It will do that if you as I mentioned have any overlay software, or anything that could behave like it. Close all third party software and try again. Death movies play fine here.

alberthamik wrote:

Another problem, and this is probably just due to me having default resolution settings, is upon pausing my mouse is confined to a small portion of the topleft of the screen.

The default resolution settings is to display the game 1:1 and should not introduce any mouse issues.

If you however change the "Scaling mode" and/or "Resolution" setting you probably need to uncheck "Capture mouse". Alternatively you can edit dgVoodoo.conf and set "FreeMouse" to true.

Reply 3706 of 3949, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It will do that if you as I mentioned have any overlay software, or anything that could behave like it. Close all third party software and try again. Death movies play fine here.

I don't know of any overlay software on my system. Is there a way to check for such things?

There's already plenty of ways to get Requiem working. Capture might be worse (though in my experience Nvidia's capturing tools deals nicely with games that switch modes), but that's why many streamers have separate capture and gaming boxes.

Well it is very much difficult for most people to capture this game, what with it being on PC, only being playable with the 3DFX version (the D3D version does work, but it has miscellaneous glitches that rear their ugly head in runs), and in regards to the streamers comment, that applies mostly to console runners. Most major FPS runners I personally know only run and capture from one machine, and the exception I know of merely does that because they had the equipment beforehand as a console runner. But anyways, I guess it's just impossible for anyone ATM to really know exactly why Requiem acts as it does on certain systems.

Though I had issues trying to capture it, playing it has been smooth sailing. But virtually everyone I've mentioned it to has had problems getting it to run, and our attempts to use dgvoodoo 2 went nowhere. Last time I got dgvoodoo 2's glide wrapper to work and not crash, the UI would be scrubbed off the screen, it was really weird.

Reply 3707 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alberthamik wrote:

I don't know of any overlay software on my system. Is there a way to check for such things?

Not really. I would kill all third party software to make sure none of them are conflicting, then start them again one and one until the crashes start. Assuming all FMVs crash, that is. Do they? Do they work under ddfix?

Thief 2 1.18 runs relatively stable here, FMVs at all, so I don't think it would be a dgVoodoo2 issue.

Reply 3708 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course I say that having only tested with death/success movies, so I tried copying the story movies and it starts crashing 100% of the time when selecting new game. This seems to be a regression since 2.55 works perfectly. Windowed mode also works perfectly (sort of like Requiem?). Three logs attached if Dege wants to read, Thief 2 running with movies in fullscreen (and crashing), Thief 2 running with movies in windowed mode (and running fine) and Thief 2 running with no movies (except lose/win ones, also runs fine).

Attachments

• Filename
    nomovies.LOG
    File size
    557.5 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    movieswindowed.LOG
    File size
    577.72 KiB
    Downloads
    85 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    moviesfullscreen.LOG
    File size
    65.2 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license

Reply 3709 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tortuga: Pirate Hunter seems to work perfectly. Resolution forcing is too glitchy to use though.

Braveheart has a flickering menu and crashes when going into any submenu, this being the last thing in the log:

[8404] [dgVoodoo] WARNING: DirectDrawSurface (09EFFB38)::Lock: Failed, HRESULT: DDERR_SURFACEBUSY

DxWnd and WineD3D doesn't crash (but DxWnd has invisible cursor and WineD3D doesn't clear the screen properly). I would link you to the demo, but the demo does not do the same thing. Oh and the intro doesn't work (but not for any new reason, I'm sure).

I decided to try Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds again, because even though I was pretty sure 3D was software rendered I wanted to check if resolution forcing would work (it does not). I figured out the game does work, but has problems with resolution enumeration, so it needs dgVoodoo2 to limit enumerated resolutions. IgnoreException compatibility shim somehow seems to help start this game properly, but it will crash again whenever resolution changes (I'm not sure that's exclusive to dgVoodoo2 though). More annoyingly, it shares a problem with RIM - Battle Planets: Dropping mouse clicks quite often.

aaaa 2018-07-15 02-44-43-81.jpg
Filename
aaaa 2018-07-15 02-44-43-81.jpg
File size
72.07 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3711 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Baldur's Gate crashes when starting a new game (has no one tested this before or am I missing something?). This sounds suspicious:

00000154 6.29490137 [9476] [dgVoodoo] ERROR: DirectDrawSurface (0563DF08)::Lock: Invalid rect to be locked: rect is either intersects surface boundaries or not aligned properly for a compressed format.
00000155 6.29491806 [9476] [dgVoodoo] WARNING: DirectDrawSurface (0563DF08)::Lock: Failed, HRESULT: DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS
00000156 6.29608965 [9476] [dgVoodoo] INFO: DirectDrawSurface (0562AE80) Primary surface (a flipping chain) is released because this head elem is released.

Works fine natively. Another case of "I'd link you to the demo, but it behaves differently".

Obviously not an important title (plenty of other options for getting this game running perfectly), but maybe a dgVoodoo2 bug that needs fixing?

Attachments

• Filename
    baldur.LOG
    File size
    32.85 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license

Reply 3712 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:
Bloodrayne (1) […]
Show full quote

Bloodrayne (1)

Got a strange problem! Forcing the V-Sync via dgVoodoo2 or with the render.ini option I got 50 FPS and not 60 FPS (Monitor is set to 60 Hz).
Why?

I'm playing @1920x1080 (hand-modded ini).

More strange: using crosire d3d9 wrapper OR dgVoodoo2 forcing the windowed mode -> 30 FPS

Reply 3713 of 3949, by alberthamik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks ZellSF for checking further into that and logging your results. I think I'll test out older dgvoodoo builds to confirm the regression is definitely at fault for everyone. In regards to Requiem, I'm still hunting for more info in regards to an issue practically everyone but me has been getting, pertaining to the game crashing with something along the lines of an "out of memory" message, that some people have reportedly been able to bypass by just spam clicking the exe until it starts for them, only for it to crash sometime later on.

Requiem is such an annoyance for me, since I've been trying to get more people to check it out. The people selling it on GOG and Steam don't seem to care.

Reply 3714 of 3949, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dege, if I may, I'd like to suggest making the password for the archives more noticeable on the website. I think that notice at the top of the main page could do with being put at the top of the downloads page, as well, since some people may click on the link to the downloads page before reading the notice or may've been given only the link to the downloads page. Also, I think that it'd be good to repeat the password right next to the latest non-WIP, non-debug version, since that's what most users will be clicking on, with something like:

dgVoodoo v2.55.2 - for regular usage (released: 07.06.2018; password is "dege")

Besides reducing frustration for many users, this would help those of us who regularly promote dgVoodoo's usage to not worry about people that we direct not seeing the password and not having to tell them each time what it is. Thanks for listening.

Reply 3716 of 3949, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dege, you may also consider how to make dgVoodoo2 not to advertise itself as virus threat. I think the way that you coded dgvoodoo2 make it susceptible of virus threat from heuristic scanners point of view, similar to most EXE packers and self-modifying codes. Today's signature-less scanners are mostly behavioral checkers, if the code behaves like a virus, then it will be quarantined until its true nature can be analyzed. The antivirus industry always has the mindset of "it's better be sorry than to let-go a zero-day outbreak".

I remember you had talked about this before and you did something special to prevent the reliance on flavors of MSVCRT, and that is causing the false positives from virus scanners. Personally, I think not having dgVoodoo2 advertised as virus threat is more critical than MSVCRT dependencies.

Reply 3717 of 3949, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote:

Dege, you may also consider how to make dgVoodoo2 not to advertise itself as virus threat. I think the way that you coded dgvoodoo2 make it susceptible of virus threat from heuristic scanners point of view, similar to most EXE packers and self-modifying codes. Today's signature-less scanners are mostly behavioral checkers, if the code behaves like a virus, then it will be quarantined until its true nature can be analyzed. The antivirus industry always has the mindset of "it's better be sorry than to let-go a zero-day outbreak".

I remember you had talked about this before and you did something special to prevent the reliance on flavors of MSVCRT, and that is causing the false positives from virus scanners. Personally, I think not having dgVoodoo2 advertised as virus threat is more critical than MSVCRT dependencies.

He might be using a packer for the exe and dll's.

Reply 3718 of 3949, by LuisMenethil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

First of all, I would like to thank Dege and the community for this fantastic tool. I'm here to ask for help with the game Aliens versus Predator 2. The game is suffering from FPS drops.

My computer (I know it's weak but at the moment I only have it):

Notebook Samsung with:
CPU: AMD APU E-Series E1-1500 Dual Core 1.48Ghz with Radeon HD Graphics 7310 384MB
RAM: 4 GB

I can run AVP2 natively on my notebook without dgVoodoo 2, the game seems to run fine with occasional drastic FPS drops. Even with the use of dgVoodoo 2 the game continues to have the same FPS drops.

The same problem presented in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltVIrOR50Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGG4Z_n6jI

Would my notebook be too weak to run this game? I can run Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam fine in it. Would it be a game or driver bug? There's any way to fix this?
Sorry for my weak English, I'm Brazilian.

Reply 3719 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LithTech engine (AvP2, NOLF, Shogo, ...) has an implementation for dynamic lighting that doesn't work well through dgVoodoo for some reason, performance even seems to depend on graphics drivers.
It's an old problem, I'll try to do some optimizations or sg like that to make it better. 😖